FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club-487/)
-   -   Q for Starwood Cardholders (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/670508-q-starwood-cardholders.html)

buylowsellhigh Mar 13, 07 12:46 am

Q for Starwood Cardholders

Quick question - For Starwood, I see that a 99999 point limit for asiamiles.. I called Starwood and they couldnt say if it was a per year or per cardholder
basis. Does anyone have experience to offer? My business goes thru about $20-25k of supplies per month put thru a 1.5% cash back card. So it'd take about 4 months for the card to top itself out... But Its certainly nice for some extra miles to upgrade with. I'm thinking of starting with Asiamiles, then AAdvantage, then Mileage Plan?

Oh... does it help my MPC status? Far fetch but heck.....

I found a loophole to bounce the charges off two credit cards and earn both the 1.5% AND Starwood points :D

Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
Earn 25% Bonus Asia Miles When You Convert Starpoints

You can transfer up to 99,999 Starpoints® into Asia Miles(TM), which can be redeemed towards free flights, upgrades and companion tickets to over 880 destinations, at a 1-to-1 ratio. And for every transfer of 20,000 Starpoints, you'll earn 5,000 bonus Asia Miles, which will be automatically added to your transfer. There is no minimum point transfer requirement for Platinum members. Gold members have a minimum point transfer of 1,500 Starpoints and Preferred members have a minimum point transfer of 2,500.

NWA747SNN Mar 13, 07 8:54 am

You are going to love this. The 99,999 is the limit per DAY, but the real max is 60k SPG per day. The 60k becomes 75k AS with the 25% bonus. If you trade 80k, then this (with 25% bonus) becomes 100k which exceeds the per day limit.

Guy Betsy Mar 13, 07 9:26 am

MPC membership can only be attained through flights with Oneworld partners and Dragonair. Not transfer and accumulation through other means unfortunately.

buylowsellhigh Mar 14, 07 12:43 am

Originally Posted by NWA747SNN (Post 7393838)
You are going to love this. The 99,999 is the limit per DAY, but the real max is 60k SPG per day. The 60k becomes 75k AS with the 25% bonus. If you trade 80k, then this (with 25% bonus) becomes 100k which exceeds the per day limit.

WOW!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: This is EXCELLENT!!! ^ ^ ^ You guys should get in on this!!! THANKS!

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 7393980)
MPC membership can only be attained through flights with Oneworld partners and Dragonair. Not transfer and accumulation through other means unfortunately.

Thanks for your advice. I wasn't really expecting upgrades for that but as long as I have at least 70-100k miles readily available for upgrade or free BIZ/FC flights I won't complain ;)

neuro0 Mar 20, 07 9:06 pm

What is the typical processing time for the transfer? I waited for about 6 weeks and the miles still have not showed up on my account yet!:(

writetorich Mar 23, 07 9:18 pm

Please Share

Originally Posted by DKNYSprt95 (Post 7392380)
Quick question
I found a loophole to bounce the charges off two credit cards and earn both the 1.5% AND Starwood points :D

what is the "loophole"?
thanks.

buylowsellhigh Mar 26, 07 1:43 am

Originally Posted by writetorich (Post 7459746)
what is the "loophole"?
thanks.

If I tell you i'd have to kill you :p

Its kind of silly actually. My buddy runs (my) purchases thru his company with his CC, and then "resells" the item to me. I buy the item(s) from him with my credit card. The individual steps don't break any rules, but the big picture is a bit questionable.

Guy Betsy Mar 26, 07 2:26 am

Originally Posted by DKNYSprt95 (Post 7469669)

Its kind of silly actually. My buddy runs (my) purchases thru his company with his CC, and then "resells" the item to me. I buy the item(s) from him with my credit card. The individual steps don't break any rules, but the big picture is a bit questionable.

I know of someone who has intentions of running through huge purchases through someone else's company to rack up the miles... but these 'fake' purchases will be paid with $ that will eventually get refunded...

SO someone gets lots of starwood points for thin air?

wanaflyforless Mar 26, 07 3:01 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 7469734)
I know of someone who has intentions of running through huge purchases through someone else's company to rack up the miles... but these 'fake' purchases will be paid with $ that will eventually get refunded...

SO someone gets lots of starwood points for thin air?

Not quite. Whoever has the merchant account to process credit cards is paying percentage in merchant fees. Often around 2%...it depends on the size of the merchant.

sxc Mar 26, 07 3:40 am

Originally Posted by DKNYSprt95 (Post 7469669)

Wouldn't your buddy get charged the merchant fee? Hence someone is losing out (either him, or you if you reimburse him the merchant fee)?

If he doesn't own his company, then ethically, he would be doing something wrong by purchasing stuff using his company's resources which are not for his company's business.

mikeinseattle Mar 26, 07 12:39 pm

Large value transactions will be treated suspiciously by the credit card company, especially if other charges the company is charging are much lower in value. Here are some potential problems:

1. Unless your friend owns a company like a lumber yard, coming up with "high value transactions" regularly will cause problems.

2. Credit card companies have technical rules that can be invoked regarding using your credit card for "business purchases". They are happy to get your business, however, too much of a good thing will make them raise eyebrows.

3. The merchant's exposure will increase quite a bit. Most merchants are limted to a set amount every month (ie. 50K or 100K etc) and the card company will cut off any transaction that exceeds that limit.

4. The government could be on your back for high value transactions that don't have any product attached to it. While your purpose is to earn miles, it could be mistaken as money laundering or other illicit activity.

Mike

buylowsellhigh Mar 26, 07 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 7469861)
Wouldn't your buddy get charged the merchant fee? Hence someone is losing out (either him, or you if you reimburse him the merchant fee)?

If he doesn't own his company, then ethically, he would be doing something wrong by purchasing stuff using his company's resources which are not for his company's business.

He does own his company, I own mine, we both buy and sell from each other. Instead of doing inventory "trades" and credits we charge each others credit cards. Why write each other checks. The whole mileage thing is just an added bonus, a loophope we inadvertantly discovered.

We both are "B2B" companies, and my clients settle with credit card. I dont give terms because the amounts are too large, and the cashback we get are more than the discount fees. It took me awhile to find out why, but you'll notice that CC company rewards are almost always higher than what they charge in discount fees. Why? Think Interest. 12%, 14%, 19%, 25%, 30% APR is what they are after. Not to mention the "late fees", "overlimit fees", etc. Our balances are paid 100% each month, but BS fees account for almost 40% of credit card company revenue. On the other hand, spending and paying off $30-40k a month on CC spikes credit scores, not that it matters :)

Our discount rates are about 1-1.25% and merchant processing companies fight each other for business. They come in, look at my statements and almost always give promotional offers to switch over. One company offered 0% discount rate for 6 months with no commitment, and almost always before the term ends, someone else would throw an offer. So, during slow season, I talk to credit card sales people and make $$ by switching back and forth. :D

On the other hand, I hear that CC companies in asian markets are offering even better incentives due to it being a developing market for them. My trading partners in Taiwan have these credit cards that you have to have networth to qualify for, and in return they give you free business class for the price of economy. Anyone want to chime in on this? :)

Finally... a supplier of mine pay for their $50-100k monthly Fedex bills and switch them off between 1-2 dozen CC's to get the benefits. I envy him :mad: