FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   CX 744 F class Seats (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/637081-cx-744-f-class-seats.html)

MATTIAS Dec 18, 2006 12:10 am

CX 744 F class Seats

I will be travelling in First class to LHR. I have been wanting to sit next to my girlfriend, but the suite designs in the middle seats (3D, 3G) have a screen in between. I was wondering if 3A and 3D is closer to each other? If not, what are the best seats with the closest proximity.

Also I will be on the late night flight CX 251.. How is the meal service there? Will it be a light meal only with no Caviar? If so I probably need to eat before.:p

Thanks..

marcuslai Dec 18, 2006 12:50 am

Originally Posted by MATTIAS (Post 6865030)
I will be travelling in First class to LHR. I have been wanting to sit next to my girlfriend, but the suite designs in the middle seats (3D, 3G) have a screen in between. I was wondering if 3A and 3D is closer to each other? If not, what are the best seats with the closest proximity.
Thanks..

its not just the screen, the "armrest" gets quite high; you will be able to hold hands, but it wont be comfortable -- see the divider between 4DG in the first pic. 3DG is exactly the same.

http://www.wahraarhr.com/cx_first.html

DTKWIA Dec 18, 2006 12:53 am

The Screen Goes Up and Down, with reguard to Supper there will still be The Full Caviar Service just likely fewer Main Course and Dessert choices.

However if there is something you want in The Pier or The Wing enjoy that there, but save room for the Caviar on Board.

MATTIAS Dec 18, 2006 1:10 am

Thank you for the quick response. Much appreciated.

Also I will be connecting a BA flight that departs in Terminal 1 in LHR (CX will arrive in terminal 3). How is the customs nowadays? Very strict? If I fly business class in BA, will I be able to use Fast track in the flight connection centre?

christep Dec 18, 2006 2:37 am

Is the BA flight domestic or international? If international then you won't have to clear customs - just security. Last time I was there Fast Track was only from landside - there wasn't one at the FCC (but things may have changed).

If you have a UK or EU passport then I would be tempted to go landside and then back again, which will let you go to Zone R security in T1 which tends to be a lot quicker.

MATTIAS Dec 18, 2006 6:20 am

I don't know if Milan, Italy is counted as international? Is it?

christep Dec 18, 2006 6:33 am

Originally Posted by MATTIAS (Post 6865546)

Er, is this a serious question? If so I think you need to get an atlas and a dictionary, and look up the word "international". Unless Mr Blair launches another invasion very soon now Italy is a separate nation from the United Kingdom!

I presume that you don't hold an EU passport, so my I would probably go for the FCC and transfer airside without going through immigration or customs. Allow at least 90 minutes for the security check.

marcuslai Dec 18, 2006 6:50 am

Originally Posted by MATTIAS (Post 6865546)

Valid question ... Ireland is not grouped onto the International side of T1.

MATTIAS Dec 18, 2006 8:46 am

Thank you Marcus.

christep Dec 18, 2006 9:01 am

OK - add history book to the atlas and dictionary... Ireland was part of the UK until quite recently; Italy has never been.

B-HQC Dec 18, 2006 9:34 am

Originally Posted by marcuslai (Post 6865608)
Valid question ... Ireland is not grouped onto the International side of T1.

Sure, very valid:rolleyes:

So you're saying that Ireland is grouped into the International side at random? Maybe you need to pick up a history book too.

Is Switzerland international? Is France? Is Beigium? Do enlighten me.

number_6 Dec 18, 2006 10:03 am

Originally Posted by christep (Post 6865231)
Is the BA flight domestic or international? If international then you won't have to clear customs - just security. Last time I was there Fast Track was only from landside - there wasn't one at the FCC (but things may have changed)....

Lucky you. There has been a FastTrack at the FCCs at LHR for about 3 years (intermittently for the first year, but always there and staffed whenever the FCC is open for the past 2 years). You must have a BA J or F boarding pass to be able to use FastTrack (it is paid for by BA and they strictly enforce access). FastTrack typically takes 5 minutes; regular FCC varies between 15 minutes and 2 hours, and is often over an hour during peak times now. Big mess. If the line is long (and it often is), you have to barge through the line to get to FastTrack -- don't stand in line if you are FastTrack eligible.

T1 International has an F lounge (maybe nicer than the T4 F lounge) along with showers at the MB spa. The lounge serves bacon butties and other food (making sleeping through breakfast on the plane an option, though the CX breakfast is better).

As for best seats when traveling with someone, 1A/K are definitely the best for 2 people traveling together (or alone, for that matter); however these are reserved for Diamonds most of the time. Given the very high loads to LHR in the past couple of months, I'm sure they are taken. The old F seats were better for couples. I guess the new F seat will be wide enough for 2 people (though it isn't certified for such use).

christep Dec 18, 2006 10:11 am

My apologies for the outdated information on FCC fast track. number_6 is far more current on this than me.

number_6 Dec 18, 2006 11:10 am

Originally Posted by christep (Post 6866320)
My apologies for the outdated information on FCC fast track. number_6 is far more current on this than me.

To my sorrow. The FCC situation plus the LHR check-in situation is making LHR a lot less desirable than it used to be (takes hours when it used to take minutes). Even FCC FastTrack is not 100% reliable for tight connections, couple of weeks ago it took 5 min through FastTrack but then a 30 min wait for the bus, so it was still 45 min between terminals. For a while I was using MAN as a hub to bypass LHR, but that no longer works (BA reduced flights, and now has sold its BA Connect sub to an LCC, presumably all the MAN to Europe flights on BA will cease to exist next year). All the OW hubs in europe have problems of various kinds. If LHR isn't fixed soon, it becomes unusable and I might have to switch to LH via MUC and FRA. Lots of people I know are switching to Eos which flies to STN (great for London O/D). Eon has an interesting FF plan, they don't partner with anyone but will buy you any ticket you want, on any airline (cost in their FF points depends on their cost for your "award" ticket).

Traveloguy Dec 18, 2006 11:27 am

FWIW, the UK and Ireland for many years have a common boarder. This means all flights between the ROI and the UK are considered domestic. Technically this also means a passport is not required for travel between the two, however in practice most people bring their passports, especially as when you fly into DUB from LHR you still pass the boarder checks. Coming back into LHR however there is nothing!

Most EU countries are now part of a boarder agreement called Schengen which effectively means that flights between Schengen countries are effectively considered domestic and therefore do not have any boarder controls. The UK and the ROI of not part of this agreement therefore a passport is required to travel between the UK/ROI to Schengen countries such as France and Germany.

To answer the OPs original question, if your flying through T1 with BA and have OW status, you have access to Zone R which provides a Fast Track service regardless of class of travel. In T4 however, BA only provides access to Fast Track for passengers flying in F & J.