Seat selection prior to flight

Old Feb 28, 2006, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Seat selection prior to flight

Sorry for the newbie questions (new to CX).

Is there any way to get a seat assignment online prior to departure? If not, can this be done by phone - or is it best to show up early at the airport?
Is there any way to determine the aircraft that will be flown on a particular flight (ie, a 2 class vs 3 class Airbus)? 3 of the 4 aircraft could be either/or
Does the "Class" or the "Fare Basis" indicate mileage earning? I'm on Q class, but have BLEE6M fare basis.

I'm an AA guy, so I'm trying to get used to this new world quickly.

ICN-HKG-LHR (and back) March 3-14

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
You can get advance seat reservation by phone but only if either you have Marco Polo Elite status OR you are booked in first, business, or high subclasses (YB from memory, perhaps H) of economy. Not in Q class I'm afraid.

If you had MarcoPolo membership (even non-Elite) then you could check in online and select your seat at that point - up to 48 hours before departure.

The Q class is the one that determines mileage-earning, and it determines that you get none in either AA (for which you would need to be in YB or H) or Asiamiles/MarcoPolo (YBHKLMV).

HKG-LHR is always 3-class. Using an avaiability tool for your flight dates will almost always give you enough information to determine the aircraft type. Try http://flyaow.com/classcwt.htm
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by ExtraInRedShirt

On CX Q class, you don't get miles on ANY frequent flyer programme. You may join the Marco Polo Club for $50 and you can do your seat selection and online check-in (after having had added your new FFP number to the reservation) but you will still not earn miles as Q class is a non earning booking class on CX.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. I guess those were the answers I was expecting (dreading), but oh well.

Appreciate the info.

Extra
Old Mar 1, 2006, 12:02 am

Programs: Cathay Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
No, you don't need to hold elite status within the Marco Polo Club (or even Asia Miles for that matter) to reserve seats, as long as you bought those tickets via the cathay pacific website or with your local TA.

So I hope these are not the answers you are "dreading".
Old Mar 1, 2006, 12:53 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Here is CX's Policy on ASR as distributed to TAs through cxagents.com. It is absolutely clear that a passenger booking a ticket through a TA in Q with no OneWorld status or MPC membership DOES NOT in general have access to ASR.

Code:
dvance Seat Reservation
	Last Update: 29MAR05

Advance Seat Reservation (ASR) is a passenger service that enables
you to reserve a specific seat for your passenger at the time of booking
within the ASR zones. This can be done up to 180 days before flight
departure and until flight departure control takes over. The reserved seat
will be guaranteed until 60 minutes before departure on most of Cathay
Pacific flights.

If you have made an ASR on behalf of your customer please advise them to
check-in at least 60 minutes prior to flight departure. When failing to do so,
their ASR may be released to other passengers.

Eligible Passengers

* All First and Business class passengers
    * Bassinet seat of Business & Economy class on request only
    * Marco-Polo Club members in Economy class
    * Spouse and children of Marco-Polo Club in Economy class
    * A maximum of 4 guest travelling together with a Marco Polo Club member in Economy class
    * oneworld top-tier members, i.e., Emerald, Sapphire and Ruby Card members.
    * Passengers travelling with small children and/or infant in Economy class
    * Invalids and pax need special assistance except Unaccompanied Minor (UM)
    * Passengers of Y and B subclasses
    * Passengers of H, K, M, L and V subclasses are eligible for ASR subject to seat in available ASR zone are open.
    * Applicable to Joint Services except HKG/SGN v.v. where members, their spouses, children and max 4 companions.
      by class/category of passengers if the flight is operate by VN flights.
    * Advance Seat Reservations not applicable to codeshare flights.
    * For seat not accept interactive ASR, please send the request by SSR oths with -NN- status
Old Mar 1, 2006, 4:38 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Sorry for the newbie questions (new to CX).

Is there any way to get a seat assignment online prior to departure? If not, can this be done by phone - or is it best to show up early at the airport?
Is there any way to determine the aircraft that will be flown on a particular flight (ie, a 2 class vs 3 class Airbus)? 3 of the 4 aircraft could be either/or
Does the "Class" or the "Fare Basis" indicate mileage earning? I'm on Q class, but have BLEE6M fare basis.

just call CX. i just took my first flight on CX (much better service than AA) and was able to reserve seats for myself and my wife on all CX flights. i'm not AA plt or any elite either. I was flying CX coach.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 6:29 am

Programs: AA EXP - 1.4MM

Are you Gold or higher on AA? If so, you may get taken care of. I didn't say a word and got the best seats in Economy on every flight LAX - HKG - PEK...PEK - HGK - LAX last Nov.

Of course showing up early with a nice smile and attitude probably won't hurt either...
Old Mar 1, 2006, 7:59 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Is there any recommended point of contact to make ASR for a OW xONEx ticket regarding the CX flights, or will any office/desk do just fine?
Old Mar 1, 2006, 8:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, AAdvantage, Miles&More, Miles&Smiles
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Is there any recommended point of contact to make ASR for a OW xONEx ticket regarding the CX flights, or will any office/desk do just fine?
For my AONE4 in May 2006 (E-ticket by BA) I sent an e-mail to the local CX-office (Frankfurt/Germany for Switzerland) and they did it (I got a reply from them with my seats only 10 minutes after sending my request by mail ^ ). Your local CX-office should be able to do it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.