Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX vs. BA HKG to NYC routing/comfort dilemma

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2005, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Thai Airways ROP *G; British Airways Executive Club Silver

Hi all,

I potentially have an upcoming business trip which would mean travelling straight from Hong Kong to New York (C-Class)... so the dilemma is... do I cross the dateline by taking the new CX direct flight to NYC and put up with their flat but tilted C-Class, or do I go BA flat bed all the way, stopping off briefly in LHR for an hour or two?

Any recommendations from seasoned CX / BA experiencers?

Cheers,
Old Aug 3, 2005, 5:09 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Assuming you need to come back, the cheapest way would probably be a RTW ticket - particularly if you could use any of the other segments. Much discussion of these in the OneWorld forum. That way you get to try both CX and BA!

The ideal of course would be CX direct using miles to upgrade to F.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep
Assuming you need to come back, the cheapest way would probably be a RTW ticket - particularly if you could use any of the other segments. Much discussion of these in the OneWorld forum. That way you get to try both CX and BA!

The ideal of course would be CX direct using miles to upgrade to F.
thanks for the advice... it's a tough call but there's a lot to be said for 'getting' it over with in one go - yes, it's my intention to fly back via europe on the way back... BA all the way so maybe CX to NY should get the vote. Cheers
Old Aug 3, 2005, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Even if you don't use any of the segments, it is still good value, since a DONE3 or an AONE3 are cheaper than a straight unrestricted R/T J or F ticket. I think there is a requirement of minimum trip length (10 days, I believe), but only if your trip starts in the US. Also, US-originating trips have a 7 day advance purchase requirement, if I recall correctly. You should check the oneworld forum for the real scoop.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 10:30 am

Programs: Star going on Oneworld
I really see nothing wrong with CX's seat. In fact I prefer it over BA's hard flat bed with flat service.

Seeing that you're ROP as well, maybe you should try TG's new service. I can bet you that their fares will be the least expensive when compared with the other 2. (BA being the most expensive). But you probably don't care anyway right?
Old Aug 3, 2005, 10:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP& 2Million miler, Skywards Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold
Have you looked at the SQ website? The SQ RTW and SQ/VS RTW out of USA offer one of the best value for money and have excellent C class products as good or even better than BA/CX. I am a one world fan, but the routing of JFK-SIN-HKG-LHR-JFK is worth exploring. Some readers have mentioned that SQ considers JFK-SIN as Pacific for RTW purposes. Any views?
Old Aug 3, 2005, 10:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP& 2Million miler, Skywards Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by WildRice
I really see nothing wrong with CX's seat. In fact I prefer it over BA's hard flat bed with flat service.
I agree 100% with Wildrice. I find the BA clubworld is crowded and the service absolutely flat. I prefer VS-SQ-CX in that order
Old Aug 3, 2005, 10:47 am

Bear in mind on the SQ flight.. that you are not allowed to fly the nonstop from EWR on the VS/SQ or CO/SQ fare. You would need to pay a surcharge of around US$500 extra if you do.

CX is the best way to go .. as it's direct and nonstop.

Otherwise, pay a little more and go F. Then you'd definitely have your FLAT bed!

Going nonstop on a little uncomfortable un-flat bed seems more logical than going the loooong way round just to get a flat bed on BA but it'll seem to be more tiring on your body overall.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
It makes no sense to fly SQ on this trip.

The actual alternative worth considering is Continental. Its BF cabin and service is probably better than BA/CX in C, though the seat is not completely flat.

But if oneworld FF miles is important, then forget it...
Old Aug 3, 2005, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA million miler
BA has a major drawback HKG/LHR/JFK: timing

the flites leave either 11:30pm or 12:30am (approx), so you board the plane and try to sleep?

12 hours later you are in LHR for a 2+hour connection to a 7- or 8 hour flite to NY, so you have flown about 9500 miles into the headwinds with a connection

now you arrive at 11:30am in NY feeling wrecked

compare that to 8000 miles nonstop with a tailwind

and you leave at 10:15am, arrive around 2:30pm

go to your hotel, sleep, wake up the next AM ready to go

the traveling time is like 7 hours less

non-stop with a tailwind seems to me better than a 1500mile longer trip into the wind, with a connection

anyway i find the BA Club World seat too narrow and short for my large frame- i overflow when it is fully reclined
Old Aug 3, 2005, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Lots of very useful advice above thanks - I think I'll settle on the direct flight. Yes Wildrice I'm ROP... but having just got my gold card, the miles I earn for the remainder of this year are worthless in terms of re-qualification! (and yes because a client's paying I'm not so worried about TG vs. CX ;-) )... So seeing as I haven't dusted down my BA exec card since I left the UK, I thought I'd attempt to get some points on that... not sure though whether the whole trip (BKK>HKG>JFK>somewhere in mainland western europe>LHR>BKK), would earn me enough tier points... (I've chosen BA for JFK onwards). Of course I could be a complete mileage slut and try Virgin out of JFK, but that would mean yet another FFP (and greater expense I assume)

Anyway, all in all I agree with the logic of fewer stops the better.

Cheers,
Old Aug 3, 2005, 9:41 pm

If you deceide for the OW RTW you could start somewhere different than HKG (like BKK). You have a year for the trip total. So you could do the (BKK-)HKG-JFK-LHR-HKG and then add a trip inside Asia (HKG-NRT-HKG for example) at no additional cost. For a little more money you could also go to Australia (HKG-SYD-....-HKG-BKK) at the end (at the price of 4 instead of 3 continents). Keep in mind that you have only 2 stops in the continent of origin.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 1:47 am

Programs: UA-Million Miler, AA, CX, Shangri-La, Hyatt, HH, Bonvoy
I would take CX. Was on two long haul segments of BA last month, and their seats and entertaiment system aren't as nice as CX. Also CX crew are much nicer. BA is not awful, but not what I would care for. The other option is to try a Circle Pacific fare, and you can add Quantas to your trip.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by davidpix
.... and you can add Quantas to your trip.
QANTAS
! !

Queensland
And
Northern
Territories
Aerial
Services

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.