Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

News: Airline limits crews' North Pole exposure amid cancer fears

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2005, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...3/s1332197.htm (but from AFP)

Airline limits crews' North Pole exposure amid cancer fears
Airline Cathay Pacific has limited air crews' flights on the non-stop Hong Kong-New York route after it was found the journey could increase the likelihood of cancer.

Airline staff say they have been limited to just two of the ultra long-haul flights per month since it was found the route exposed passengers and crew to high levels of cosmic radiation when they flew over the North Pole.

Union chiefs have told the South China Morning Post that radiation levels increase markedly at 8,000 metres above the pole.

They say prolonged exposure could be harmful to cell DNA, possibly causing cancers.

"If you do two-and-a-half polar flights a month you are in the danger zone," Flight Attendants Union general secretary Becky Kwan was quoted as saying.

"At first when we heard about this everybody was worried. But we have had regular meetings with (air officials) and Cathay and guidance from an aviation doctor."

However, unions are concerned no such limits have been put on passenger flights.

The report says officials felt it unnecessary as customers do not fly enough to be at risk.

The airline is British-owned but Hong Kong-based.

- AFP
Old Mar 28, 2005, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by username
The report says officials felt it unnecessary as customers do not fly enough to be at risk.

bahh.....
Old Mar 31, 2005, 4:33 am
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, AA, QF, CX, VS
Take 7 drops of these 2 essences and call me in the morning!

http://www.ausflowers.com.au/shop/sc...?id=77&catid=3

http://www.ausflowers.com.au/shop/sc...?id=85&catid=3

I take these when I fly. I don't get much jetlag.

These really work. ^
Old Mar 31, 2005, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
Back again?

FewMiles..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.