Search

No Caviar in F on the CX 105 11/2/04

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2004, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
No Caviar in F on the CX 105 11/2/04

Just an FYI that there was no caviar on offer on the CX 105 this past Tuesday night. Not even listed on the menu. Just the Balik Salmon, no fois gras as had been reported as being an alternative. Not sure if supper flights to Australia usually get caviar in F, but my experience ex-USA is that supper flights do. Flying CX 100 in F tomorrow and CX 253 (HKG-LHR) on Sunday and will report on caviar status.

Also, no dim sum or other Chinese breakfast option.

Last edited by PresRDC; Nov 4, 2004 at 4:54 pm
Old Nov 4, 2004, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Just an FYI that there was no caviar on offer on the CX 105 this past Tuesday night. Not even listed on the menu. Just the Balik Salmon, no fois gras as had been reported as being an alternative. Not sure if supper flights to Australia usually get caviar in F, but my experience ex-USA is that supper flights do. Flying CX 100 in F tomorrow and CX 253 (HKG-LHR) on Sunday and will report on caviar status.

Also, no dim sum or other Chinese breakfast option.
Is 105 a late flight? 889 (or is it 888) YVR-HKG doesn't get it either due to time of departure. Or maybe it's the new cost-cutting reality starting 1 Nov. I rather like to think it's to take pressure of declining sturgeon stocks.

If CX wants to serve luxury food, foie gras is a great alternative, and if it has to be seafood, something that keeps/transports better than, but like stone crab claws from Florida.

Last edited by terenz; Nov 4, 2004 at 6:04 pm
Old Nov 4, 2004, 6:30 pm
In Memoriam

Location: Grand Rapids, MI USA UA 1K, AA EXP 1MM, SQ PPS, BA GOLD, Hyatt D, Hertz Plat and AMEX Cent
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Just an FYI that there was no caviar on offer on the CX 105 this past Tuesday night. Not even listed on the menu. Just the Balik Salmon, no fois gras as had been reported as being an alternative.
AND HUGE CRACKS OPEN UPON THE SURFACE OF THE EARTH -
Surely this must mark the beginning of the end!

Seriously, I would be really sad if CX fell to this PC crap about caviar and used that as an excuse (assuming they have actually pulled the plug, as the menu would indicate) It is money, pure and simple.

VERY sad since the CX caviar, Balika and potatoes were TRULY (YES REALLY) my single favorite part of the entire airline. I was the perfect meal in terms of qty and taste and I would always have seconds and skip the rest of the meal service

Old Nov 4, 2004, 8:49 pm

I was just showing a friend, who is planning a rtw, these forums. He said before my pc has booted up: "Is it not just full of first class passengers compaining about their caviar". Needless to say, we both a good laugh when we saw this topic heading.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by B Watson
Seriously, I would be really sad if CX fell to this PC crap about caviar
Someone who would proudly say, "I ate caviar from the last female beluga sturgeon before the species went extinct".

Last edited by B Watson; Nov 5, 2004 at 5:28 pm Reason: oops!!!!!! - I planned to respond and hit edit - I have restored the orginal message (I THINK!)
Old Nov 4, 2004, 9:29 pm

Maybe this is what gear down said in another thread coming into play, namely that CX are running out of caviar stock. I think it was mentioned that CX got a month's worth of delivery - perhaps to conserve that they are limiting it to the higher-yield F routes (I imagine LHR would be prime, so if there is no caviar on the LHR flights I doubt any other route would be offering it.)
Old Nov 4, 2004, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AND HUGE CRACKS OPEN UPON THE SURFACE OF THE EARTH -
Surely this must mark the beginning of the end!

Seriously, I would be really sad if CX fell to this PC crap about caviar and used that as an excuse (assuming they have actually pulled the plug, as the menu would indicate) It is money, pure and simple.

VERY sad since the CX caviar, Balika and potatoes were TRULY (YES REALLY) my single favorite part of the entire airline. I was the perfect meal in terms of qty and taste and I would always have seconds and skip the rest of the meal service

This has also been talked about on the NH forum , it appears to be ban on the sale of caviar from Iran due to CITES regulations. It is an endangered species btw.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
This has also been talked about on the NH forum , it appears to be ban on the sale of caviar from Iran due to CITES regulations. It is an endangered species btw.
I can see it now...

CX's future menu: We apologise for not being able to serve caviar on today's menu due to CITES regulations but we would be able to offer you instead:

IMPERIAL SHARKS FIN SOUP
ROASTED SPARROWS
FRIED SEA URCHINS

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Nov 5, 2004 at 12:01 pm
Old Nov 5, 2004, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I can see it now...

CX's future menu: We apologise for not being able to serve caviar on today's menu due to CITES regulations but we would be able to offer you instead:

IMPERIAL SHARKS FIN SOUP
ROASTED SPARROWS
FRIED SEA URCHINS
Sharks apparently are endangered due to overfishing. Not sure about sea urchins (apparently they are prolific breeders no threatened for now) but certainly sparrows aren't (at least for now too).
Old Nov 5, 2004, 12:45 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I can see it now...

IMPERIAL SHARKS FIN SOUP
ROASTED SPARROWS
FRIED SEA URCHINS
and

ROCK SUGAR BIRD'S NEST for dessert?

But then the above choices are so "Chinese". What about Western choices?

Last edited by daniellam; Nov 5, 2004 at 12:48 pm
Old Nov 5, 2004, 5:10 pm
In Memoriam

Location: Grand Rapids, MI USA UA 1K, AA EXP 1MM, SQ PPS, BA GOLD, Hyatt D, Hertz Plat and AMEX Cent
Lets at least get most of the facts straight about "endangered species"

1) The species in question is the Beluga Sturgeon - do not loose track of the fact that no airline has served Beluga caviar in over 10 years

2) Trade in Caspian Sea caviar is NOT prohibited, it simply has quotas - those quotes net net only really effect the volume of Beluga

3) Yes - there is a reduction in totally supply since some Beluga customers will now need to step down increasing the demand on Sevruga and Osetra

4) Now to the point - this is resulting in price increases in Sevruga and Osetra - I am sure this is why NH, CX, et al have made this move

5) Hiding behind the CITES stuff is so disingenuous for the airlines - again, Beluga is not the issue and supply quotas on the rest are level

I hope this makes a little more sense now
Old Nov 5, 2004, 5:29 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by terenz

Seriously, I would be really sad if CX fell to this PC crap about caviar
Someone who would proudly say, "I ate caviar from the last female beluga sturgeon before the species went extinct".
Perhaps you can help me out with what Beluga sturgeon have to do with the caviar served on CX - I am a bit confused
Old Nov 5, 2004, 9:04 pm

From menus I have seen online and airlinemeals.net, don't they serve Iranian Sevruga or Osceistra?
Old Nov 5, 2004, 9:07 pm

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
SQ has also been cutting down to "caviar cream" on most medium haul routes.
It used to be malossol caviar, which although many F flyers have negative feedback about it, is far more generous in the servings.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 9:17 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by hongkongtraveller
From menus I have seen online and airlinemeals.net, don't they serve Iranian Sevruga or Osceistra?
Now I am confused

I am not sure if you point is that their caviar does not come from Iran or that it is Beluga?

I am not sure of the actual country of origin of CX caviar, but the issue is not Iran specific but rather Caspian Sea as a whole - more or less 99% of the worlds real caviar comes from the Caspian. As to the Beluga issue, I an ASSURE you that it is not Beluga! SADLY since I have been wolfing it down for some years now.

Actually, as a matter of personal taste, I prefer the nutty character of Osetra, but it is a personal taste issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.