Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

Extending your membership status - Malaysia Airlines Flight

Extending your membership status - Malaysia Airlines Flight

Old Jun 20, 22, 8:26 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Posts: 324
Extending your membership status - Malaysia Airlines Flight

Hi Everyone,

I haven't flown Cathay since March 2020 and doesn't look like there's any plans or even possibilities to in the near future. My diamond membership will expire Dec 2022 like many others.

I'll be needing to fly to Singapore (SIN) from Kuala Lumpur (KUL) in the next month.

According to Cathay's website, I should be able to fly 2 sectors with a Oneworld Alliance Airline.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...r-renewal.html



Frequently asked questions also states it has to be a return flight, which isn't an issue.

Does anyone know what fare class from Malaysia Airlines would be eligible? I would assume the cheapest economy won't work, but just curious if there's a chart/table on what is considered an eligible fair class.

Hoping to extend my Marco Polo membership to the end of 2023 with this flight.

Thanks all!
blum81 is offline  
Old Jun 20, 22, 8:58 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Posts: 972
Originally Posted by blum81 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I haven't flown Cathay since March 2020 and doesn't look like there's any plans or even possibilities to in the near future. My diamond membership will expire Dec 2022 like many others.

I'll be needing to fly to Singapore (SIN) from Kuala Lumpur (KUL) in the next month.

According to Cathay's website, I should be able to fly 2 sectors with a Oneworld Alliance Airline.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...r-renewal.html



Frequently asked questions also states it has to be a return flight, which isn't an issue.

Does anyone know what fare class from Malaysia Airlines would be eligible? I would assume the cheapest economy won't work, but just curious if there's a chart/table on what is considered an eligible fair class.

Hoping to extend my Marco Polo membership to the end of 2023 with this flight.

Thanks all!
AFAIK, all tickets classes, except the near-zero priced staff tickets and some code-shares, do work.

It's not only for your MPC membership, though, largely to keep your current level, with just minimal flying and/or some other goodies.

I don't think, it needs to be a "return" flight. The examples do show differently. I don't think, it needs to be 2 "connected" sectors. Just 2 sectors on different PNR's (a paid and an award is given as example), are needed.
Cambo is offline  
Old Jun 21, 22, 12:15 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: TPE / HSZ
Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Posts: 5,567
Originally Posted by blum81 View Post
Does anyone know what fare class from Malaysia Airlines would be eligible? I would assume the cheapest economy won't work, but just curious if there's a chart/table on what is considered an eligible fair class.
Originally Posted by Cambo View Post
AFAIK, all tickets classes, except the near-zero priced staff tickets and some code-shares, do work.

It's not only for your MPC membership, though, largely to keep your current level, with just minimal flying and/or some other goodies.

I don't think, it needs to be a "return" flight. The examples do show differently. I don't think, it needs to be 2 "connected" sectors. Just 2 sectors on different PNR's (a paid and an award is given as example), are needed.
Wrong! Only selected more expensive MH economy booking classes are eligible. https://www.asiamiles.com/en/earn-mi...aysia-airlines makes it clear: YBHKM only.

It can be 2 sectors in 2 different PNRs or 2 sectors in 1 PNR.
ernestnywang is offline  
Old Jun 21, 22, 6:22 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 222
Originally Posted by ernestnywang View Post
Wrong! Only selected more expensive MH economy booking classes are eligible. https://www.asiamiles.com/en/earn-mi...aysia-airlines makes it clear: YBHKM only.

It can be 2 sectors in 2 different PNRs or 2 sectors in 1 PNR.
Hmmm that page you point to shows the airfare classes you're eligible to earn/redeem. I don't see this table directly related/answering your question about eligible fare classes fulfiling the extension status.

FWIW, last week, I chatted with an AM agent to ask if a PEN-KUL-SIN one way redemption booking would fulfil extension eligibility. The answer I got from the agent was: YES, as PEN-KUL is considered 1 sector, while KUL-SIN is considered another, hence I've fulfilled the 2-sector eligibility rule.

Realize mine's a redemption booking while you're asking about a paid booking, but figured I'd share my experience if it helps Suggest calling CX's DM line to ask for a straight answer to your question (I'd love to know as well).
infinitium is offline  
Old Jun 21, 22, 8:55 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Posts: 972
Originally Posted by ernestnywang View Post
Wrong! Only selected more expensive MH economy booking classes are eligible. https://www.asiamiles.com/en/earn-mi...aysia-airlines makes it clear: YBHKM only.

It can be 2 sectors in 2 different PNRs or 2 sectors in 1 PNR.
As Infinity's wisdom copies back, the link you refer to is for earning miles.

The Marco Polo status extension is based on the legs you fly, without referring to earning miles.

These are the "rules" for the 2 legs: MPC Automatic Tier Renewal

In the conditions, there is nothing about limiting around public fare classes, only restrictions around staff travel, free tickets, price-fight tickets and the like, as well some code-share flights.
9 Certain fares and flights are not eligible for fulfilling the condition. These include staff travel, prize, other free tickets, and some codeshare flights.
Though, I have to say, it also includes these clauses, which can be very general purpose to just deny everything they want:
8 Ticketing Terms & Conditions apply.
And
Are prized flight tickets eligible?
No, certain fares and flights are not eligible for fulfilling the condition. These include staff travel, prize, other free tickets, and some codeshare flights.
And this one suggests, there is no connection with Asia Miles:
Will the 2022 status extension impact my Asia Miles?​
No, your Asia Miles balance will not be affected.​
So, in summary, IF your rules would apply, there would be a lot of flying not illegible for this status extension, which should be listed more in detail, and that does not happen.

So, I think, you are wrong. Sorry.
Cryofern and infinitium like this.
Cambo is offline  
Old Jun 22, 22, 3:11 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: CX GO
Posts: 59
I just spoke with Marco Polo, and they confirmed that my redemption flight that I took with Qantas (redemption under my own account) and my paid flight with Cathay are counted as 2 segments, and thus renewal requirements have been met.
cxauhk is offline  
Old Jun 22, 22, 1:58 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: TPE / HSZ
Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Posts: 5,567
Originally Posted by infinitium View Post
Hmmm that page you point to shows the airfare classes you're eligible to earn/redeem. I don't see this table directly related/answering your question about eligible fare classes fulfiling the extension status.

FWIW, last week, I chatted with an AM agent to ask if a PEN-KUL-SIN one way redemption booking would fulfil extension eligibility. The answer I got from the agent was: YES, as PEN-KUL is considered 1 sector, while KUL-SIN is considered another, hence I've fulfilled the 2-sector eligibility rule.

Realize mine's a redemption booking while you're asking about a paid booking, but figured I'd share my experience if it helps Suggest calling CX's DM line to ask for a straight answer to your question (I'd love to know as well).
Originally Posted by Cambo View Post
As Infinity's wisdom copies back, the link you refer to is for earning miles.

The Marco Polo status extension is based on the legs you fly, without referring to earning miles.

These are the "rules" for the 2 legs: MPC Automatic Tier Renewal

In the conditions, there is nothing about limiting around public fare classes, only restrictions around staff travel, free tickets, price-fight tickets and the like, as well some code-share flights.

Though, I have to say, it also includes these clauses, which can be very general purpose to just deny everything they want:

And

And this one suggests, there is no connection with Asia Miles:

So, in summary, IF your rules would apply, there would be a lot of flying not illegible for this status extension, which should be listed more in detail, and that does not happen.

So, I think, you are wrong. Sorry.
Of course, 2 sectors from redemption ticket qualify. "Eligible fare classes or fare types with our oneworld alliance airlines" and "Asia Miles redemption flights" are listed separately. These are different ways to qualify, and please do not mix the two. OP asked for the eligible fare classes for MH and if a cheap Y ticket would count. I'm referring to OP's question.

CX mentions "eligible fare classes." The explanation given by @Cambo has to do with "fare types." I agree CX could have made things clearer. However, "prized" ticket and whether the status extension would affect (presumably the expiry of) Asia Miles are not related to OP's question.

For CX members taking oneworld flights, a flight earns status points if and only if it earns AM, and the vice versa is also true. The AM earning page gives an easy reference as to which fare classes are eligible for miles. If you check https://www.cathaypacific.com/acc/en...sia-miles.html, you will see again, for Y cabin, only YBHKM classes earn status points on MH flights.

Let's step back for a second. If a revenue flight does not earn AM and status points, it does not even get posted as a transaction. How in the world would you expect CX to still be able to track it for status extension purpose?
ernestnywang is offline  
Old Jun 22, 22, 8:39 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Posts: 972
Originally Posted by ernestnywang View Post
......
Let's step back for a second. If a revenue flight does not earn AM and status points, it does not even get posted as a transaction. How in the world would you expect CX to still be able to track it for status extension purpose?
IF your reasoning would be correct, CX could just have stated with the conditions: "Only those flights, illegible for earning miles with AM or flights redeemed through AM".

Which CX did not do, on the contrary CX did specify, staff and prize tickets don't apply, as well some code-share flights don't apply. That's it.

Of course, this is CX and the world could be different, and the conditions are just badly worded, though for now, there are no reasons to assume so.

What seems to be important is, one registers its CX FF number with the flight, before boarding, which suggests, a claim afterwards, might be rejected for MPC status extension.
Cambo is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 3:32 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: TPE / HSZ
Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Posts: 5,567
Originally Posted by Cambo View Post
IF your reasoning would be correct, CX could just have stated with the conditions: "Only those flights, illegible for earning miles with AM or flights redeemed through AM".
You continue to ignore the fact that CX put "eligible fare classes" in the condition. To me, this means only those fare classes eligible for MPO points and AM would qualify. You are free to have your interpretation, but I would not advise anyone that they can buy the cheapest MH ticket to qualify, unless CX explicitly confirms it.
toplayer likes this.
ernestnywang is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 11:32 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Posts: 972
Originally Posted by ernestnywang View Post
You continue to ignore the fact that CX put "eligible fare classes" in the condition. To me, this means only those fare classes eligible for MPO points and AM would qualify. You are free to have your interpretation, but I would not advise anyone that they can buy the cheapest MH ticket to qualify, unless CX explicitly confirms it.
Your assumption is wrong, that I ignore the fare classes. However, the fare classes have a very wide range and do (for CX tickets/flights) include specific nominations for staff, free and prize tickets. We do have the situation, that CX explicitly NOT refers to Asiamiles earning classes, but to "Eligible fare classes or fare types" without going into more detail.

Add to that, that CX also explains, that this "status renewal offer" is separate from the normal Asiamiles earnings:
Will the 2022 status extension impact my Asia Miles?​
>No, your Asia Miles balance will not be affected.​
And, yep, when somebody wants to use MH for the 2 leg options, just contact MPC and ask. CX is known for being incomplete, vague and sometime conflicting when publishing their "rules".

Maybe report here, and this issue gets resolved.
Cryofern likes this.
Cambo is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 7:10 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Posts: 324
Thanks for the updates and advice guys. It's definitely vague on what qualifies for an 'eligible fare class' and whether the cheapest Y ticket would qualify or not. I'm pretty sure I'd be taking a risk going with the cheapest Y fare, and even the mid fare would be in question.

Probably best I call CX to find out. I'll give them a call later today and update everyone.
ernestnywang likes this.
blum81 is offline  
Old Jun 25, 22, 2:50 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Programs: CX Diamond, AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Posts: 453
FWIW - I emailed MP and specifically asked the same question but for an AA itinerary LAX-MEX-LAX on discounted "I" business class. I provided them the routing, the class fare and fare to be paid and asked them to confirm that the itinerary would qualify to extend the MP status to 12/23. The did reply and confirmed it. I flew the segments over 30 days ago. It does not yet reflect the extension. I also transferred from AMEX 30K miles after registering for the offer to salvage over 250K expiring miles - they replied I need to wait 6 weeks after transfer to reflect no expiration date on miles

All these efforts may be in vain though. I need to fly next month LAX-MNL-LAX. CX asks for $13,000 US in Business and has a lousy limited schedule. ANA has business for around $4,000 US (AMEX platinum fare) and daily flights with good schedules. I will be flying ANA and have asked them for status match (no reply yet). I hope CX makes it - I flew the LAX-MNL-LAX route several times a year in business and first. They were excellent....
traveler18 is offline  
Old Jun 25, 22, 5:25 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: TPE / HSZ
Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Posts: 5,567
Originally Posted by traveler18 View Post
FWIW - I emailed MP and specifically asked the same question but for an AA itinerary LAX-MEX-LAX on discounted "I" business class. I provided them the routing, the class fare and fare to be paid and asked them to confirm that the itinerary would qualify to extend the MP status to 12/23. The did reply and confirmed it. I flew the segments over 30 days ago. It does not yet reflect the extension. I also transferred from AMEX 30K miles after registering for the offer to salvage over 250K expiring miles - they replied I need to wait 6 weeks after transfer to reflect no expiration date on miles

All these efforts may be in vain though. I need to fly next month LAX-MNL-LAX. CX asks for $13,000 US in Business and has a lousy limited schedule. ANA has business for around $4,000 US (AMEX platinum fare) and daily flights with good schedules. I will be flying ANA and have asked them for status match (no reply yet). I hope CX makes it - I flew the LAX-MNL-LAX route several times a year in business and first. They were excellent....
I think it is more likely they will do the extension for everyone at Dec. 2022. They will not extend now because, what if, you made a higher tier before Dec. 2022. There is always the possibility.

I also satisfied the 2-sector requirements by crediting 2 AA-Q class flights to MPO in Mar., but my status also hasn't been extended yet, as I would expect.

AA-I class is definitely fine. It is listed here: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/earn-mi...rican-airlines
ernestnywang is offline  
Old Jul 4, 22, 3:23 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Posts: 324
I finally got around to call Cathay about my possible Malaysia Airlines flight from KUL to SIN.

They told me only the following fare classes are eligible for membership extension.

Economy: YVHKM
Business: FAPJCDZ

What irks me is that Malaysia Airlines economy glass is only Q and N at the moment, with N being their economy flex.

So it looks like I'm out of luck with Malaysia Airlines unless I book a business Z class
ernestnywang likes this.
blum81 is offline  
Old Jul 4, 22, 4:27 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: TPE / HSZ
Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Posts: 5,567
Originally Posted by blum81 View Post
I finally got around to call Cathay about my possible Malaysia Airlines flight from KUL to SIN.

They told me only the following fare classes are eligible for membership extension.

Economy: YVHKM
Business: FAPJCDZ
Thank you for coming back with a confirmed answer! Exactly as I have always believed, it needs to be a booking class that earns AM. I do not know why some others would not only think otherwise but also spread such false belief.

One correction, I am pretty sure the Economy classes eligible are YBHKM, not YVHKM.

Originally Posted by blum81 View Post
What irks me is that Malaysia Airlines economy glass is only Q and N at the moment, with N being their economy flex.

So it looks like I'm out of luck with Malaysia Airlines unless I book a business Z class
I think you can call MH and specifically ask for a quote in M class. There are M class fares filed by MH between KUL and SIN (130SGD for SIN-KUL and 405MYR for KUL-SIN each way). The website probably just doesn't show all the options.
blum81 likes this.
ernestnywang is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread