Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Extending your membership status - Malaysia Airlines Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extending your membership status - Malaysia Airlines Flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2022, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Thank you for coming back with a confirmed answer! Exactly as I have always believed, it needs to be a booking class that earns AM. I do not know why some others would not only think otherwise but also spread such false belief.

One correction, I am pretty sure the Economy classes eligible are YBHKM, not YVHKM.

I think you can call MH and specifically ask for a quote in M class. There are M class fares filed by MH between KUL and SIN (130SGD for SIN-KUL and 405MYR for KUL-SIN each way). The website probably just doesn't show all the options.
Ah damn.. i just booked my trip to SIN on AirAsia lol. Maybe I'll do a trip locally somewhere but I'll give them a call instead.

I probably misheard the CS agent when she read out the fare classes, pretty sure you're correct.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by blum81
I finally got around to call Cathay about my possible Malaysia Airlines flight from KUL to SIN.

They told me only the following fare classes are eligible for membership extension.

Economy: YVHKM
Business: FAPJCDZ

What irks me is that Malaysia Airlines economy glass is only Q and N at the moment, with N being their economy flex.

So it looks like I'm out of luck with Malaysia Airlines unless I book a business Z class
Good to hear, you got an answer.

Disappointing to conclude, CX did make such a mess of their condition description, it did take a whole FT thread to get this sorted. Life could have been so easy, if the ones writing these rules, would have put themselves at the receiving end of the rule descriptions.

Even more disappointing, MH did make such a mess of their economy booking options, that their limited online booking engine is failing to give what one wants, forcing one to call (&Wait) and pay up a manual booking fee.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 11:39 am

I think you can call MH and specifically ask for a quote in M class. There are M class fares filed by MH between KUL and SIN (130SGD for SIN-KUL and 405MYR for KUL-SIN each way). The website probably just doesn't show all the options.
The fact, fares are filed, does not imply, these are available for booking (or MH is willing to book, when there are other, lower denominated booking classes available).
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Cambo
Disappointing to conclude, CX did make such a mess of their condition description, it did take a whole FT thread to get this sorted. Life could have been so easy, if the ones writing these rules, would have put themselves at the receiving end of the rule descriptions.
While I have always agreed that CX could have written the conditions better, I think this only took a whole thread to be sorted because...

Even more disappointing, MH did make such a mess of their economy booking options, that their limited online booking engine is failing to give what one wants, forcing one to call (&Wait) and pay up a manual booking fee.
I would not claim to be familiar with MH's online booking tool, but most airline websites do not allow users to book a specific class at will. Usually, a few options are presented, and that's it. This is hardly MH-specific.

The fact, fares are filed, does not imply, these are available for booking (or MH is willing to book, when there are other, lower denominated booking classes available).
Doesn't make much sense really.

I no longer have GDS access and only subscribe to EF when needed. Plus, a specific date is needed to pull out the availability display. While exceptions and glitches can sometimes occur, in general, if Q or N class is available, M class will also be available. When there is an MH-M fare that is not restricted to specific flights, and lower classes are being displayed on the website, one can reasonably conclude an M class ticket can be bought.

I'm sure MH would be happy to sell someone an M class (=more expensive, more revenue) ticket when the prevailing option is Q or N class. Even if blum81 has trouble getting the MH reservation centre to do it, a human TA can also do it easily.

Last edited by ernestnywang; Jul 4, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Old Jul 5, 2022, 12:06 am

While I have always agreed that CX could have written the conditions better, I think this only took a whole thread to be sorted because...
Sure, just take care to provide the evidence, makes a discussion much easier.
I would not claim to be familiar with MH's online booking tool, but most airline websites do not allow users to book a specific class at will. Usually, a few options are presented, and that's it. This is hardly MH-specific.
Yeah, there are some more "modernized" airline booking websites (AY, for example), where fancy category words are being used, all ending up in the same booking class, with a subdivision on conditions, to make things "easy". It's a plague, resulting from the trend to "mobile".

The same way, MH stupidly bought a (far too) small number of A380 to be able to run this aircraft type profitable (so they just should not have bought the A380 at all).

Serious airlines give the option to purchase full-fare economy tickets online.

I no longer have GDS access and only subscribe to EF when needed. Plus, a specific date is needed to pull out the availability display. While exceptions and glitches can sometimes occur, in general, if Q or N class is available, M class will also be available. When there is an MH-M fare that is not restricted to specific flights, and lower classes are being displayed on the website, one can reasonably conclude an M class ticket can be bought.

I'm sure MH would be happy to sell someone an M class (=more expensive, more revenue) ticket when the prevailing option is Q or N class. Even if blum81 has trouble getting the MH reservation centre to do it, a human TA can also do it easily.
I have a full EF subscription, and I can tell you, that it does list many fares, that are not available for purchase, neither through the airlines' website, nor through (online) TA's. EF does also not list a lot of prices, which are available online, or even more clear: The EF pricing no longer reflects the online pricing on an airlines' website, not to say, the same booking class does have multiple pricings, depending on when you purchase.

Oh, and the low-end MH Economy tickets can not be purchased through the MH call-center.

And, when buying through the MH call-center, take into account the waiting and the additional manual handling fee.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 5:00 am

First, I would like to correct myself. The fares I quoted below are for MH*/FY flights, not MH prime flights.

There are M class fares filed by MH between KUL and SIN (130SGD for SIN-KUL and 405MYR for KUL-SIN each way).
There are however also M fares filed for MH prime flights. The fares are more expensive but do not change the basis of my argument.

Sure, just take care to provide the evidence, makes a discussion much easier.
Your initial post (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34354247-post2.html) did not include any evidence, only "AFAIK." I provided mine in my first post (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34356270-post3.html) in this thread. You and some others did not accept the evidence I provided.

Serious airlines give the option to purchase full-fare economy tickets online.
You keep digressing. In any case, M class is not full fare (Y class is). Within M class, MH also offers basic fare and flex fare. I obviously have not checked every single airline's Internet booking engine, but I am certain very few airlines, if any (think I have heard of UA long ago?), give users the option to specify a specific class in the booking process. I do not know why MH is the one to be blamed here.

I have a full EF subscription, and I can tell you, that it does list many fares, that are not available for purchase, neither through the airlines' website, nor through (online) TA's. EF does also not list a lot of prices, which are available online, or even more clear: The EF pricing no longer reflects the online pricing on an airlines' website, not to say, the same booking class does have multiple pricings, depending on when you purchase.
I have said exceptions and glitches happen, but if you have full EF subscription, go find cases where Q or N class is available but not M class on an MH flight. I am not saying it will never ever happen, but it is not the general case.

Most fares are public these days. Asia is a bit behind on this but has mostly caught up in the past few years. Fares have a lot of conditions, you have to meet all the requirements such as day/time restrictions, seasonality, flight application, advance purchase, mix/max stay, routing, number of transfers, etc. to make it work. A public fare can be bought from anyone. Website limitation does not mean a fare does not exist. What you are saying does not make much sense and is only applicable in extreme cases (when a fare is not correctly written or filed, for example).

It is also easy to use ITA to find fare and availability, either KUL-SIN-KUL or SIN-KUL-SIN, on MH-M class. Just specify routing code MH and extension code F BC=M. Sure, you can argue that ITA does not work perfectly all the time, but what you are saying defies logic and is not the general case.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
ernestnywang:

Based on your knowledge, would it be safe to book a AA Asiamiles earning return flight to fulfil two sectors on a Oneworld partner?
I am thinking YYZ LGA YYZ

TIA
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
ernestnywang:

Based on your knowledge, would it be safe to book a AA Asiamiles earning return flight to fulfil two sectors on a Oneworld partner?
I am thinking YYZ LGA YYZ

TIA
Yes, as long as these flights are before 31DEC2022 and operated by American Eagle (I believe they all are, but just be sure not to book a JetBlue-operated one, for example, though I don't think it exists) and in an eligible class (so, basically, not in B or O class)

American Eagle is a oneworld affiliate and listed on https://www.asiamiles.com/en/earn-mi...rican-airlines. The page also shows all eligible classes.

Important Notes
1. Miles can be earned on eligible fares classes of
flights marketed and operated by American Airlines
flights marketed by American Airlines and operated by oneworld carriers
flights marketed by American Airlines and operated by its affiliates (American Eagle, American-Connection and Compass Airlines)
codeshare flights operated by Alaska Airlines
(Last one is redundant now AS is in oneworld but was previously a very special exception.)

Last edited by ernestnywang; Sep 18, 2022 at 2:52 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.