Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong to lift flight bans - April 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong to lift flight bans - April 1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2022, 7:44 pm

Programs: CX DM, Accor Platinum, Discovery Titanium, Bonvoy Gold, Ultima
Yes indeed but a step in the right direction and with quarantine now 7 days rather than 21 or 14 I imagine room availability will start to improve rapidly.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Conkers
Yes indeed but a step in the right direction and with quarantine now 7 days rather than 21 or 14 I imagine room availability will start to improve rapidly.
One would hope, but it's also a question of Say's Law: how much additional supply is going to stimulate additional inbound demand? It could make things worse if people previously on the sidelines decide to head to Hong Kong now that it's easier to get in.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 8:23 pm

Programs: CX DM, Accor Platinum, Discovery Titanium, Bonvoy Gold, Ultima
Originally Posted by Pickles
One would hope, but it's also a question of Say's Law: how much additional supply is going to stimulate additional inbound demand? It could make things worse if people previously on the sidelines decide to head to Hong Kong now that it's easier to get in.
That’s true.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 10:07 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
We still have no give on the other three restrictions to inbound travel - flight suspension mechanism for bringing in too many infected, crew testing requirements for inbound crew and crew quarantine restrictions for local crew.
tentseller likes this.

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 26, 2022 at 11:52 pm
Old Mar 26, 2022, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
We still have no give on the other three restrictions to inbound travel - flight cancellation mechanism for bringing in too many infected, crew testing requirements for inbound crew and crew quarantine restrictions for local crew.
Apparently the 14-day suspension will be reduced to 7-day.
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...gtype=homepage
But wait for official confirmation and it is still totally illogica,l though.

Last edited by brunos; Mar 28, 2022 at 10:19 pm
Old Mar 26, 2022, 11:51 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by brunos
Apparently the 14-day suspension will be reduced to 14-day.
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...gtype=homepage
But wait for official confirmation and it is still totally illogica,l though.
Flight suspension 14 day —> 7 day. Not sure if any help to inbound https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/202203/27/P2022032700005.htm
Old Mar 27, 2022, 1:47 am

So the new rule states that if one flight has more than three passengers tested positive on arrival and/or one passenger with incomplete documents, that flight will be suspended for 7 days. At least it is no longer accumulative. Cathay Pacific can at least start weekly flight, instead of bi-weekly flight.

I am actually more interested in the crew quarantine rules. If they just quarantine for 7 days, that will allow Cathay to run a bit more flights.
Transit situation is still not ideal given the suspension rules, and I don't recommend anyone booking any transit flights on CX in the near future or for the rest of the year and even first half of 2023.

If you live outside of Hong Kong, you feel that life is moving to normal, so you want to book award flights on CX to other Asian countries. However, Hong Kong has not moved forward and I don't expect any changes. it is smart to avoid CX for any award travels now, especially if you MUST travel. If you are just trying your luck, you can do it, but don't book non-refundable hotel stays, and please expect your CX trips mostly not happening even for early 2023.

Carfield
dw, edsh, ual744777sta and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 7:38 am

Programs: CX Marco Polo Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Sorry if this question has been asked many times, but I would like to ask if the following persons can enter Hong Kong now for short term visit (visiting grandparents)?
(a) Wife of Hong Kong permanent resident who is non-Chinese.
(b) Son of Hong Kong permanent resident born overseas.

Per CX's website, they mentioned that spouse of Hong Kong resident and their children can enter Hong Kong, but I am not able to find any information on the Immigration Department's website.
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...trictions.html

Looks like CX has been mostly selling full fare tickets on their extra flight LHR-HKG.

Many thanks for all of your kind assistance.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 6:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by lesteryen
Sorry if this question has been asked many times, but I would like to ask if the following persons can enter Hong Kong now for short term visit (visiting grandparents)?
As far as I am aware only residents are allowed to enter under the current restrictions. However, in both of these cases I believe you can look into making them dependents and therefore getting them a proper visa (which it sounds like you'd be entitled to). Once that is granted they could then enter as a resident for any reason: https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services...dependant.html

I'm not sure if this is entirely what you want, as it will be slower, but I think that is the only option (source: people's discussions about making parents/grandparents to be dependents so that they can visit, an option that is not available to non-permanent residents)
lesteryen and Kongduino like this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
You might find useful information here:
https://web.facebook.com/groups/2788...1434099892409/

Also search that group.
An email to immd seems the fastes reliable way.
lesteryen likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 12:32 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Transit Ban Lifted
This arrived in my inbnox a few hours ago. Given the chat about the effect on quarantine in to HK if passengers on a flight test positive it begs a huge number of questions about the implications for transiting passengers at their final destination!!From 1 April, travel restrictions will be relaxed to allow flights originating from the United Kingdom to enter and transit through Hong Kong. We're actively working on resuming more flights for our customers from this date.

If your final destination is Hong Kong:
Fully vaccinated Hong Kong residents will now be permitted entry with a reduced seven nights in a dedicated quarantine hotel; whilst other requirements including pre-departure PCR testing and travel declaration forms remain in place. We've collated all the key information in our step-by-step Hong Kong travel checklist.

If you're heading further afield:

The Hong Kong Airport transit ban will also be lifted, allowing you to fly from London Heathrow, Manchester, or elsewhere in Europe and connect through Hong Kong to onward destinations including Australia, Thailand, Japan, Malaysia and many more. Be sure to check out our worldwide travel restrictions for the latest destination requirements.
ernestnywang and blum81 like this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 5:07 am

Programs: CX, TG, MF, Accor All, Hyatt

Per CX's website, they mentioned that spouse of Hong Kong resident and their children can enter Hong Kong, but I am not able to find any information on the Immigration Department's website.
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...trictions.html

Looks like CX has been mostly selling full fare tickets on their extra flight LHR-HKG.

Many thanks for all of your kind assistance.
Indeed. Most residents, permanent or not, can sponsor their spouse, and their unmarried, minor children, for residency. Once ImmD issues a dependant visa, the dependant can fly to HK (carrying that very precious sticker in the passport). On top of that PR, whether Chinese of foreigners, can sponsor their parents, as long as they're above 60 yo.

But just being family of a resident, even if eligible, will not be enough to be considered a resident. One has to go through the process of getting a dependant visa. The process is not the fastest at the best of times, and with government services halted, and restarting on April 1, count about 2 months before a visa could be issued. And they will have to apply for a HKID card rapidly after entering HK. Failure to do so has its own consequences.
lesteryen likes this.

Last edited by Kongduino; Mar 29, 2022 at 7:24 pm
Old Mar 29, 2022, 5:38 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
It would seem that children under 12 are allowed:

https://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/i...paniedChildren

For persons who have stayed in any place outside China, Hong Kong residents who have been fully vaccinated and hold a recognised vaccination record may board flights for Hong Kong. For Hong Kong residents or children of Hong Kong residents aged under 12 who are yet to be vaccinated, they can also board flights for Hong Kong if they are accompanied by Hong Kong residents who fulfilled the boarding requirements.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Carfield
If you live outside of Hong Kong, you feel that life is moving to normal, so you want to book award flights on CX to other Asian countries. However, Hong Kong has not moved forward and I don't expect any changes. it is smart to avoid CX for any award travels now, especially if you MUST travel. If you are just trying your luck, you can do it, but don't book non-refundable hotel stays, and please expect your CX trips mostly not happening even for early 2023.
Prudent and good advice.

Upon this announcement, I booked some flights (just have a stash of Asiamiles I have to use) near Christmas time hoping that it'll be ok by then. If by some miracle I can enter HK, it'll be a bonus. Will most likely be leaving from France where having to unexpectedly prolong the duration of my leisure trip wouldn't be the end of the world, but may actually be a blessing.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by Modo
Transit Ban Lifted
This arrived in my inbnox a few hours ago. Given the chat about the effect on quarantine in to HK if passengers on a flight test positive it begs a huge number of questions about the implications for transiting passengers at their final destination!!From 1 April, travel restrictions will be relaxed to allow flights originating from the United Kingdom to enter and transit through Hong Kong. We're actively working on resuming more flights for our customers from this date.

If your final destination is Hong Kong:
Fully vaccinated Hong Kong residents will now be permitted entry with a reduced seven nights in a dedicated quarantine hotel; whilst other requirements including pre-departure PCR testing and travel declaration forms remain in place. We've collated all the key information in our step-by-step Hong Kong travel checklist.

If you're heading further afield:

The Hong Kong Airport transit ban will also be lifted, allowing you to fly from London Heathrow, Manchester, or elsewhere in Europe and connect through Hong Kong to onward destinations including Australia, Thailand, Japan, Malaysia and many more. Be sure to check out our worldwide travel restrictions for the latest destination requirements.

Step in the right direction. I hope they allow transiting to/from Southeast Asia to Canada soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.