Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Reward Booking for May/June - KUL-HKG-YVR, no chance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2022, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier

Hi everyone,

Trying to plan a trip back home to Vancouver (KUL-HKG-YVR and return) but with the situation in HK right now and no transiting it's seems near impossible to find a flight let alone reward flights.

I'm I pretty much out of luck for anything with Cathay? Am I able to book a reward on a partner airline like JAL?

Worse case scenario I can fly with Singapore Airlines with a paid far (zero status with Krisflyer or SA) but I really wanted to use up my Asiamile points and utilize my diamond status I have... or what's left of it lol...
Old Mar 17, 2022, 1:32 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I believe transiting via HK is almost zero chance.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 3:18 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by blum81
I'm I pretty much out of luck for anything with Cathay? Am I able to book a reward on a partner airline like JAL?
I looked at the schedule and it seems, on Thu., you can take the red-eye JL KUL-NRT and transit to the Fri. NRT-YVR? Long transit in NRT but doable.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I looked at the schedule and it seems, on Thu., you can take the red-eye JL KUL-NRT and transit to the Fri. NRT-YVR? Long transit in NRT but doable.
I'm ok with the transit time, but would I be able to use my asiamiles points for a JAL flight? I haven't found anything when trying to do a dummy booking on asiamiles.com
Old Mar 17, 2022, 9:32 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
I'm ok with the transit time, but would I be able to use my asiamiles points for a JAL flight? I haven't found anything when trying to do a dummy booking on asiamiles.com
Yes, of course you can use AM to redeem JL flights. JL and CX are both members of oneworld. Whether the JL flights have any award seats, I have no clue. Best to call MPO and ask. You are DM so hopefully waiting time will be short, though currently, even as GO myself, I often have to wait for over an hour, unless I call at around 3am. Being based in KUL, you also have the option to redeem oneworld multi-carrier award on MH+QR, for example.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Yes, of course you can use AM to redeem JL flights. JL and CX are both members of oneworld. Whether the JL flights have any award seats, I have no clue. Best to call MPO and ask. You are DM so hopefully waiting time will be short, though currently, even as GO myself, I often have to wait for over an hour, unless I call at around 3am. Being based in KUL, you also have the option to redeem oneworld multi-carrier award on MH+QR, for example.
Thanks Ernest. I'll give them a call and see how it goes.

I'm quite flexible on the dates so I'm debating if I just wait until April 20th or whenever HK allows transiting again for Cathay flights to open up. Just concerned the HK gov will extend, again lol.

Hopefully there are some adjustments to flight restrictions.
https://simpleflying.com/is-hong-kon...-restrictions/
ernestnywang likes this.

Last edited by blum81; Mar 17, 2022 at 9:23 pm
Old Mar 18, 2022, 3:57 am

Knowing Carrie... I won't count on it!

Even if the rules are relaxed, it is hard for CX to restart all this service within a short period of time. Not to mention we don't know what rules will be lifted or relaxed.

Currently, if an airline carries four Covid positive passengers tested on arrival and incomplete paperwork within seven days of operation, that airline will be banned from carrying passengers on that route for 14 days. Unless that rules are lifted, I don't know what good will the lifting of transit ban and countries ban be any good.

As of this point, Cathay Pacific has already released its May schedule and you can find it at CX's where we're flying page.
Cathay Pacific will fly to KUL on May 1 and 27 only.
Cathay Pacific will fly to YVR on May 14 and 29 only.

I will definitely avoid booking CX anytime soon.

Carfield
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 7:41 am

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
It's been a while since I use AM but maybe you can use AA or BA site and then feed the route to the AM agent? Considering the frequency, you'll have better luck if you're willing/can go through the US since JL has multiple daily flights to the US. I can see several options daily via SEA, DFW and LAX on AA site. And you can get paid ticket on AA/AS to YVR is AM is not willing/can't see that piece.

As other have said above, definitely avoid booking CX - doesn't make sense to transit at HKG when you can avoid it.

Last edited by Rivarix; Mar 18, 2022 at 7:46 am
Old Mar 20, 2022, 10:42 am

I wonder if OneWorld has begun looking for another airline to replace CX
Old Mar 21, 2022, 12:40 am
Original Poster

hopefully this is good news.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ight-bans-nine

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ssary-lam-says
Kongduino likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 2:45 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
But there is no mention of being able to transit in HKG...as for your original question of being able to transit in May - based on yesterday's developments, no chance.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 4:54 am

Transit theoretically possible from April 1, per Danny Lee/Bloomberg: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-from-april-1

But don’t see how this will work practically. CX is not really ramping up its flights to the key markets that have been banned: https://www.thestandard.com.hk/break...nine-countries
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 7:44 am

Yeah for CX/HKIA to properly restart, they need to remove these stupid airline bans and the excessive quaratine on crew.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.