Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Zero CX redemption availability on many routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2022, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Been trying to check availability for OneWorld routes to many destinations in Europe and US, while plentiful results are produced by the likes of QR, UL, JL, AY, MH - none of them are CX. Same when checking through Asia Miles, BAEC or AS Mileage Club.

Has CX frozen redemption availability completely, or ceased flying long haul?
Old Feb 3, 2022, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Been trying to check availability for OneWorld routes to many destinations in Europe and US, while plentiful results are produced by the likes of QR, UL, JL, AY, MH - none of them are CX. Same when checking through Asia Miles, BAEC or AS Mileage Club.

Has CX frozen redemption availability completely, or ceased flying long haul?
CX is flying maybe 1% of its pre-pandemic longhaul schedule.
Look at this page to see what they schedule for Feb and March. And that schedule keeps getting updated down. It won't be much better in the following months.

As there are very few flights operating to (and even from) HKG on any airline and given that CX needs cash, the few operating flights charge huge fares.
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...e-fly-now.html
Old Feb 3, 2022, 11:35 pm
JWo

Programs: MPC DM / UA *A Gold / Hyatt Glob / SPG Gold
When is CX updating schedules? I have a flight to YYZ in April I want to cancel - revenue availability is zeroed out, but my booking has not been canceled/modified. Hoping to cancel the flight with no penalty. Thanks.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 1:15 am

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)
No only do they have 0 redemption seats available... they also have almost no revenue seats available. They're going out of business as far as I am concerned. I'm already moving my loyalty to other airlines, as heartbreaking as it is.
nancypants and Jma12 like this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by JWo
When is CX updating schedules? I have a flight to YYZ in April I want to cancel - revenue availability is zeroed out, but my booking has not been canceled/modified. Hoping to cancel the flight with no penalty. Thanks.
Hard to say and might depend on destinations.
Currently they seem to have cancelled until 26 March and zeroed out from 27 March. April's official cancellations might not be announced until end of February.
greatwall77 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not a regular CX flyer, but a friend who is (or was, rather) sent me the text of a chat he had with 'm the other day.

"Your queue position: 1

please wait... Peggy Live agent is coming in.

Hello, this’s Peggy. Thank you for waiting.

How can I help you?

sorry I lost you

May I know your itinerary , travel date and how many passengers for you would like to check please?

I am looking for a 1 way flight AMS MNL in April

1 person

Let me check the details for you. It may take a few minutes, please wait for a moment.

No problem take your time

Thanks for waiting.

After checking, there is no seat available for the Cathay Pacific or partner airlines in APR2022.

why not?

If there is no seat available for redemption, it cannot redeem with Asia Miles.

I don’t understand does this mean they will not be flying or allowing any redemption

what if I want to book Finnair?

For Cathay Pacific flight, as a result of the rising Omicron cases worldwide, further tightening of aircrew quarantine measures and flight bans from certain destinations have been imposed by the Hong Kong SAR Government.

These restrictions continue to impact our flight schedule and, consequently, will further reduce our flights to and from Hong Kong from now, therefore, there is no paid ticket or redemption ticket available in APR-JUN2022.

For partner airlines flight, we can only check if there is seat available for redemption only.

would you be kind enough to look at Finnair for me please

Let me check the details for you. It may take a few minutes, please wait for a moment.

thanks again

Thanks for waiting.

After checking, sorry that there is no flight operate from Helsinki to Manila for Finnair, therefore, it cannot redeem the ticket from Amsterdam to Manila with Finnair flight.

For other partner airlines, Qatar Airways, sorry that there is no seat available from Amsterdam to Manila via Doha in APR2022.

OK last question what if I went Helsinki to Manila

May I know if you would like to check the itinerary from Helsinki to Manila in APR2022?

yes please

Thanks for waiting.

After checking, there is no redemption seat available with Qatar Airways from Helsinki to Manila via Doha in APR2022.

For Finnair, there is no flight schedule from Helsinki to Manila .

So it looks to me that something is really not right here

Seems One World partners no longer want to take Asia Miles booking which seems to me they obviously think CX is in big trouble

Sorry that we don't know why there is no redemption seat available from partner airlines.

It’s pretty obvious if you ask me. Hey thanks for trying I really appreciate it and good luck because I really think CX will not be around much longer. Take care.

We very much understand your frustration on this matter, unfortunately, there is no seat available for redemption ticket at this moment.

I understand it’s OK

Thank you for your understanding.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

NO you were great thanks

You're welcome.

Thank you for your enquiry. We will now close the conversation. Have a nice day! Bye Bye

Peggy left the chat"
Old Feb 5, 2022, 1:42 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
Manila has extremely limited inward space owing to government limitations on the amount if people allowed in. Did he try a less restricted destination?
Old Feb 5, 2022, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by ahopkins767
Manila has extremely limited inward space owing to government limitations on the amount if people allowed in. Did he try a less restricted destination?
Not only that, since I’ve flown Finnair from the 2000’s I’ve never seen Manila on their route map. If they ever did fly there direct from Helsinki, it hasn’t been for decades.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johan rebel
These restrictions continue to impact our flight schedule and, consequently, will further reduce our flights to and from Hong Kong from now, therefore, there is no paid ticket or redemption ticket available in APR-JUN2022.
Not just April to June 2022... I've checked all the way to December 2022 also - and nada!
Old Feb 5, 2022, 7:42 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KFG, Marriott Plat, AccorG
Originally Posted by ahopkins767
FYI, changing by Feb 10, 2022. Vaccinated travellers/ tourists from any country may enter and only need to show: 1. Proof of vaccination; and 2. Less than 48 hrs negative RT-PCR test. No more quarantine.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Not just April to June 2022... I've checked all the way to December 2022 also - and nada!
Yeah tried using AsiaMiles last December for a Sep/Oct 2022 trip MNL-JFK and BRU-MNL. No CX availability. I called MPC. Told "no flights scheduled on those dates, please check again later." Ended up on JL + QR. JL = low taxes and fees. QR = shockingly high fees (over $300 for one-way Business class.)
Old Feb 5, 2022, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by DiamondMile
Not only that, since I’ve flown Finnair from the 2000’s I’ve never seen Manila on their route map. If they ever did fly there direct from Helsinki, it hasn’t been for decades.
Yup, don't think Finnair ever flew to MNL. Some of the more "exotic" airlines that did way back in the 1980s: Sabena (Belgian), SAS, Swissair, Air France (via Bangkok and Tehran!), and Egyptair (Their Far East routing was Cairo- Bangkok- Manila- Tokyo).

For April 2022 -- try QR. They still have 2x daily DOH-MNL. Unsure if redemption seats available though. I suspect "revenge" travel now that PH is opening up with less restrictions than say, Thailand. Booked my April travel 8 months ago.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 10:12 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
Originally Posted by Felix Felicis
FYI, changing by Feb 10, 2022. Vaccinated travellers/ tourists from any country may enter and only need to show: 1. Proof of vaccination; and 2. Less than 48 hrs negative RT-PCR test. No more quarantine.
And the daily intake is increased from 2,000 to 5,000 - an improvement for sure - but it might take time for that to translate to significantly more flights (and redemption availability).
Old Feb 7, 2022, 1:35 am

Programs: CX Gold
I have blocks of miles expiring, and no schedules to book them with... *sigh*. Going to be a fun CS chat, since they seem incapable of extending them without a lot of runaround.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 1:37 am

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)
Originally Posted by simonjp
I have blocks of miles expiring, and no schedules to book them with... *sigh*. Going to be a fun CS chat, since they seem incapable of extending them without a lot of runaround.
Any advice on how to approach this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.