Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Time to jump ship... switch from CX to whom?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time to jump ship... switch from CX to whom?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2022, 2:06 am

Programs: Avios, AsiaMiles
Originally Posted by Cambo
Not really.

Avios does have excessive fees on award tickets. That much, that you can nearly buy a (discounted) regular ticket for the just the award fees amount.

Also, something important to realize is, to obtain status with Avis, you will need to fly a native Avios earner for at least 4 (?) sectors a year.
I am thinking the other way - earn Avios via BA partners, e.g. through credit cards that can convert points to BA Avios, then convert to BA Avios to QR's system, finally redeem flights with QR.
Not sure how the new Qatar Avios will look like, but if it is similar to Iberia and Aer Lingus Avios, this should work.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 8:02 am

Programs: Avios, AsiaMiles
Originally Posted by Cambo
Not really.

Avios does have excessive fees on award tickets. That much, that you can nearly buy a (discounted) regular ticket for the just the award fees amount.

Also, something important to realize is, to obtain status with Avis, you will need to fly a native Avios earner for at least 4 (?) sectors a year.
As anticipated, British Airways Avios and Qatar Avios become interchangeable (1:1), and BA has lowered some fees to match the values.
TPG UK did a comparison of redeeming flights via Qatar's Privilege Club and BA EC. Unsurprising redeeming from the home airline is cheaper.
It would be interesting to see which airline will be better for accumulating status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.