Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKIA segregation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2021, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I know it is currently not allowed. If the segregation will be there in the long term, I wonder when they will ever allow it again.
It's forbidden precisely because China wants to enforce their own rules when it comes to foreign arrivals. Unless China relaxes its border rules, this will not change. And if China does relax its border rules, then surely Hong Kong will follow suit.

Hong Kong is one of the only places in the world where you can fly to China without a green QR code issued by a Chinese mission (the only other one being Taiwan, interestingly they also ban transits to China).
Old Nov 10, 2021, 2:55 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by tauphi
It's forbidden precisely because China wants to enforce their own rules when it comes to foreign arrivals. Unless China relaxes its border rules, this will not change. And if China does relax its border rules, then surely Hong Kong will follow suit.
The SCMP article mentions E1 will be a transfer point for Mainland-bound pax. It would suggest transit via HKG to Mainland to be possible, but I don't think it could be. This is why I wonder.

Hong Kong is one of the only places in the world where you can fly to China without a green QR code issued by a Chinese mission (the only other one being Taiwan, interestingly they also ban transits to China).
Yes, and I always believe this indicates the Taipei and Beijing governments still have ways to talk to each other to discuss certain matters. It allows CI and BR to maintain a relatively unrestricted frequency and good cargo revenue. Before the pandemic, I've never seen cargo shipments go North America --> TPE --> Mainland China, but this seems to be a popular option these days. Some politicians mistakenly thought the no-transit to Mainland is a restriction imposed by the DPP government, which doesn't make much sense.
tauphi likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 10:43 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
The SCMP article mentions E1 will be a transfer point for Mainland-bound pax. It would suggest transit via HKG to Mainland to be possible, but I don't think it could be. This is why I wonder.
I don’t see what kind of pax will be allowed allowed to use E1 gate either:

Old Nov 10, 2021, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
I don’t see what kind of pax will be allowed allowed to use E1 gate either:
It's obviously for transit passengers from China to the rest of the world. That has been allowed for ages. This means if you're flying from China to the US/UK you could still enjoy the Wing before you step beyond the line of no-return at Gate 24.
percysmith and ernestnywang like this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 11:40 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
It's obviously for transit passengers from China to the rest of the world. That has been allowed for ages. This means if you're flying from China to the US/UK you could still enjoy the Wing before you step beyond the line of no-return at Gate 24.
Of course
But in that case it won’t work the other way.

Which is to be expected, no indication HKG is going to segregate clean/dirty mainland flights.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 10:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
The Pier J is reopening for Orange Zone passengers

The Pier J to reopen for Orange Zone (rest of the world)

The Wing F to be the Green Zone lounge for China flights

Starts Nov 15

Source:
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 3:22 am

Programs: Confirmed

Yes, and I always believe this indicates the Taipei and Beijing governments still have ways to talk to each other to discuss certain matters. It allows CI and BR to maintain a relatively unrestricted frequency and good cargo revenue. Before the pandemic, I've never seen cargo shipments go North America --> TPE --> Mainland China, but this seems to be a popular option these days. Some politicians mistakenly thought the no-transit to Mainland is a restriction imposed by the DPP government, which doesn't make much sense.
Paris, HK, Tokyo, Singapore and (maybe LA?) have been appointed by the Beijing 2022 organisers to be the international team's gateways into China, according to the guide they've released recently.
Transit E must be set up for this purpose, as no other transits are currently allowed.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by SKRan
Paris, HK, Tokyo, Singapore and (maybe LA?) have been appointed by the Beijing 2022 organisers to be the international team's gateways into China, according to the guide they've released recently.
Transit E must be set up for this purpose, as no other transits are currently allowed.
Hope it will be a long-term arrangement and not temporary.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 3:15 am

Hope it will be a long-term arrangement and not temporary.
the olympic playbook is here:
https://stillmed.olympics.com/media/...tober-2021.pdf

I bet that the borders will be opened after 20th congress of CPC has finished in Q4 2022.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 4:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I bet that the borders will be opened after 20th congress of CPC has finished in Q4 2022.
Congrats on post #1000!
SKRan likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 2:27 pm

I don't see how the document is related to HKG arrangement or the border opening?
Old Nov 23, 2021, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't see how the document is related to HKG arrangement or the border opening?
I shared the document with travelinmanS and his observation was that it doesn't mention fans. I suppose that isn't too earth shattering because fans are not the intended audience. That having been said, I think this omission might suggest where the priorities lie. Time will tell, I guess.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 8:08 pm

oops. some reporter asked them how flights would be operated - and the official answer is Tokyo, Hong Kong, Seoul and Paris.
it's not actually on the playbook. my bad
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Congrats on post #1000!
Thanks! (clearly I post too much.)
Old Nov 25, 2021, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by moondog
I shared the document with travelinmanS and his observation was that it doesn't mention fans. I suppose that isn't too earth shattering because fans are not the intended audience. That having been said, I think this omission might suggest where the priorities lie. Time will tell, I guess.
I think the current arrangement is for the games to have only domestic fans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.