Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Flight cancelled without any possible common sense rebooking options.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight cancelled without any possible common sense rebooking options.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2021, 5:20 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by brunos
But I find your resentment towards CX excessive.
JL is the one to cancel the flight. It offers you an alternative.

…One should be fully aware that there is less flexibility on awards than on revenue tickets. Nothing new on all airlines. And In these covid times, it does not get better as airlines open few award seats to get more revenue.
No need to give so much love to CX. The fact their default is to rats arse their award pax in case of IRROPs means award pax should stick CX’s feet to the fire whenever they can, especially since under HK’s incumbent business-friendly environment there is very limited means to do so.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
No need to give so much love to CX. The fact their default is to rats arse their award pax in case of IRROPs means award pax should stick CX’s feet to the fire whenever they can, especially since under HK’s incumbent business-friendly environment there is very limited means to do so.
You are getting red hot now

PS: AC from YVR just got suspended for 2 weeks.
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...gtype=homepage
Old Oct 15, 2021, 6:27 am

You are getting red hot now

PS: AC from YVR just got suspended for 2 weeks.
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...gtype=homepage
If you have noticed, they rarely suspend CX flight even though they can bring many COVID positive paxes esp 1-2 months ago from USA.

The only time it was suspended were flights from MNL I think.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 7:29 am

Programs: AS MVP
They suspected AC due to 1 passenger not compliant to doc/other requirements to travel to HK in addition to 1 case onboard that flight.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by chinatown
Booked with Asia Miles in Business class on Dec 3 YVR-NRT-HKG on JL 17/736.
I am not sure if you could fly your original itinerary either if JL had not cancelled 736. JL17 arrives in the afternoon and JL 736 departs in the morning, meaning you have to overnight in Narita. I thought overnight layover is not allowed since Narita closes at 10pm?
Old Oct 15, 2021, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Centurion, Lan Platinum, ANA Mileage Club, HHonors D, SPG G
I can understand your frustration. Most pax booking aan award, or even a revenue ticket, have been hit by covid cancellations and bad alternatives.

But I find your resentment towards CX excessive.
JL is the one to cancel the flight. It offers you an alternative. Your personal situation means that you cannot take advantage of it. It is not their fault. Actually most Asian countries (except China/HK) are moving to a "live with the virus" policy and progressively opening up. It could be that Japan will do it by December, so option 0 might be viable.
The earth has a strange shape and flights from YVR tend to all take a polar route, so it not really about right/wrong directions. The BA option is not a silly one. You choose to decline it given the current quarantine situation. That is your personal choice but we don't know for certain what it will be in December.
I assume that you did not book the nonstop CX YVR-HKG because there was no award available and went on the two-segments JL route instead. JL cancelled a flight and awards are still not available on CX837. WHy would you expect CX to now make an exception for you?

I am also flying a CX award soon. I got my share of cancellation/rescheduling but that was on CX to CX.
One should be fully aware that there is less flexibility on awards than on revenue tickets. Nothing new on all airlines. And In these covid times, it does not get better as airlines open few award seats to get more revenue.
Here's to hoping option 0 is available then. I find the BA option ridiculous. You don't, because you wouldnt be the one shelling out an additional 15k miles per pax for a YVR-LHR-HKG routing, an additional 10 hours of flight + 4 hours of wait time and also paying additonal ~HK$4000 extra per pax in taxes as well as the mental toll of 7 more days of quarantine , as well as paying for said 7 days.

I'm not expecting CX to make an exception for me and to magically open up 2 seats on CX837. They are not obligated to do that, nor am I banging a drum like some entitled person expecting them to. The thing is that if im say 3 days away from my actual flight date, and CX are still sitting on their hands with regards to the wait list, then they would not have protected my flight at all. I am the one who will be SOL. Yes I know the fact that I cannot enter Japan is not JL's fault, nor am I blaming them, but the consumer in this case has to be protected in that I entered into a contract with the airline to deliver me from point A to B, but due to circumstances beyond control, I cannot get from point A to B. Cathay CAN fix the situation by putting me on CX 837, but they choose not to and thats their prerogative, but I still need a feasible way to get from point A to B.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seaweedburgundy
I am not sure if you could fly your original itinerary either if JL had not cancelled 736. JL17 arrives in the afternoon and JL 736 departs in the morning, meaning you have to overnight in Narita. I thought overnight layover is not allowed since Narita closes at 10pm?

JL735 was 1810-2230. JL736 is HKG-NRT , the other way around. My mistake in writing 736 at the beginning. should be JL735/17
Old Oct 15, 2021, 9:05 am

JL735 was 1810-2230. JL736 is HKG-NRT , the other way around. My mistake in writing 736 at the beginning. should be JL735/17
Alternate to JL735 is CX505 but 4Dec CX505 is zeroed out too.

No revenue YVR-HKG seats until 8 Dec CX865 anyway.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Think that's just a flight waiting to be cancelled. the only selling flight atm is CX521 1645-2110. JL17's schedule is 1235-1630+1. misconnect unfortunately.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold

No revenue YVR-HKG seats until 8 Dec CX865 anyway.
CX837 is open for sale on 1, 4, 8 December.
But they might get very full if AC is suspended in that week.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 9:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan

1. Fly YVR-LHR-HKG on BA, which is completely not feasible given its a 9 hour flight in the wrong direction , plus a 12 hour flight in the right direction. On top of that, Hong Kong quarantine laws currently state that anyone flying from the UK to HK are subject to 21 days of quarantine as opposed to 14 days when flying from Canada.
For personal reference, did I read correctly that AM wanted to charge you more miles for this option?
Old Oct 16, 2021, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Frayed_Yak
For personal reference, did I read correctly that AM wanted to charge you more miles for this option?

Yep. They only offered a cancel and rebook. No penalties on the cancellation of the original flight, and the rebook would be a new ticket entirely with the required mileage and relevant taxes tacked on.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 2:15 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by seaweedburgundy
Back in Jul., TPEJL said it was possible. I'm not sure if it is still the case as TPEJL has since stopped talking about it. According to the TPEJL person I spoke to 3 months ago, they never had any pax rejected for overnight NRT transit, but a few were rejected for HND-NRT inter-airport transit. I only have Chinese information. Better check with JL if someone still wants to do it.

Old Oct 16, 2021, 7:56 pm

Yep. They only offered a cancel and rebook. No penalties on the cancellation of the original flight, and the rebook would be a new ticket entirely with the required mileage and relevant taxes tacked on.
Par for their "rules". Not the CoC written down. This one's even harder to fight at the SCT, because you have to fight value for miles as well.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
In your case, your monetary claim can be established by next available ticket at the time of your cancellation, but you have to actually travel it before SCT will award you the monetary claim.
While I agree with you, the law does not seem to think so.

In a similar, but unrelated case - SCT in Hong Kong actually ruled for Cathay Pacific once, as the SCT can't quantify the value of the miles into a monetary value. When because it was SCT, so there is no case law. However, at least in Hong Kong, it is safe to assume that SCT does not mix well with award ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.