SCB Cathay MasterCard discussion

Old Jul 8, 2021, 5:14 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by lesteryen
I think based upon the Standard Chartered Bank Cathay Priority Banking Card, I think CX will cut lounge access for its MPO Silver members. Otherwise, they will not provide 4 non-transferable lounge access coupons to the cardholder.
Maybe, or perhaps it is for you to take a guest. Existing mid-tier benefit for SL is 2 lounge vouchers, only available for guesting. Also, the SL membership is only available for those who apply before Sep. It is unclear how the this benefit will stay in the long run.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 6:08 am

I think based upon the Standard Chartered Bank Cathay Priority Banking Card, I think CX will cut lounge access for its MPO Silver members. Otherwise, they will not provide 4 non-transferable lounge access coupons to the cardholder.
Actually they don't need to rush...Don't forget the travelling demand cannot resumed until 2024/2025...
Old Jul 8, 2021, 6:14 am

Programs: CX Marco Polo Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Maybe, or perhaps it is for you to take a guest. Existing mid-tier benefit for SL is 2 lounge vouchers, only available for guesting. Also, the SL membership is only available for those who apply before Sep. It is unclear how the this benefit will stay in the long run.
It probably will not be for guest as this lounge voucher is non-transferable.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 6:52 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
But also the silver status granted as part of the card only lasts for one year. So the lounge cards are still valuable if you dont renew the silver status.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 7:31 am

I believe the existing mid-tier lounge vouchers are also non-transferable, as one would have to claim and use them when they are travelling with their guests.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 7:32 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
SCB has put in a disloyalty clause (or generally a move everything out of Slide Cheap Bank when an offer is not in place clause)

Existing priority banking customers need to put in 500k new funds to qualify, even if they already have 1m at SCB

https://av.sc.com/hk/content/docs/hk-cx-priority-fund-in-requirements.pdf

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 8, 2021 at 9:41 am
Old Jul 8, 2021, 9:30 am

Also, whatever you fund in requirement is (Priority Banking $1M incl $0.5M new funds if you're not new banking customer, Priority Private Banking $8M), you're going to have to hold funds for three months.
  • you have to meet funds requirement on application of the card (above)
  • if you cut the card within 12 months of card issuance, SCB will ask CX to cancel your MPO SL/GO
  • annual fee for your Priority Banking/Priority Private Banking is charged in the 3rd month of your card application (https://av.sc.com/hk/content/docs/hk-cx-t1-tnc.pdf and https://av.sc.com/hk/content/docs/hk-cx-t2-tnc.pdf), unless you have a waiver. You have a waiver if you still are a Priority Banking/Priority Private Banking customer at that time.

https://av.sc.com/hk/content/docs/hk...ownloadnow.pdf
(by the way, anyone open this link with iPhone Safari and find they only have 7 pages instead of 16?)

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 8, 2021 at 9:44 am
Old Jul 8, 2021, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
My comment is really no comment - Who would push that poor products out anyway?
Old Jul 8, 2021, 10:07 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
I'm not sure why any non existing SCB clients would want to pay the exorbitant annual fees for their private or priority cards.. Looking at the benefits, really quite useless for existing Gold or DM members who fly regularly (pre-covid)....
Old Jul 8, 2021, 10:55 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by nastypenman
I believe the existing mid-tier lounge vouchers are also “non-transferable”, as one would have to claim and use them when they are travelling with their guests.
Exactly. I was SL before and used it for my travel companion once. That was the only possible use.

A transferable lounge voucher means you can transfer it to a redemption nominee of yours, and the nominee can then use it when not travelling with you.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by tfung
I'm not sure why any non existing SCB clients would want to pay the exorbitant annual fees for their private or priority cards.. Looking at the benefits, really quite useless for existing Gold or DM members who fly regularly (pre-covid)....
I suspect it will be like the current SCB AM card, where it is waived "on a case by case basis". So you'll just have to call each year and see if CS will waive it, and if not, cut the card.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 5:15 pm

Programs: CX Life Time,TG,
Unbelievably useless. As a Life Time Diamond (renamed Invitation) member I had an AMEX card which I used regularly. That was cancelled, or rather converted to a new AMEX card which I shall cancel because I do not want to pay annual fees. I have not received any emails about a new card, perhaps I am too old. Anyway it does not bode well for the future of Cathay Pacific. Their ability to run the airline declines steadily and Swire have shown that they are not much cop at running anything else apart from property. Comes of moving Oxbridge graduates from tea plantations, to Cathay Tokyo reps, to PNG shipping managers, to Australian whatevers every three years, I guess. No wonder Merlin ran away to London when the going got tough.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by TomYoung
Unbelievably useless. As a Life Time Diamond (renamed Invitation) member I had an AMEX card which I used regularly. That was cancelled, or rather converted to a new AMEX card which I shall cancel because I do not want to pay annual fees. I have not received any emails about a new card, perhaps I am too old. Anyway it does not bode well for the future of Cathay Pacific. Their ability to run the airline declines steadily and Swire have shown that they are not much cop at running anything else apart from property. Comes of moving Oxbridge graduates from tea plantations, to Cathay Tokyo reps, to PNG shipping managers, to Australian whatevers every three years, I guess. No wonder Merlin ran away to London when the going got tough.
I think it's a mixture of things. Swire cannot escape the blame; poor management has plagued the airline for years now, despite the reputation it has built up in the 90's and early 00's. The aviation industry is tough to compete in not just as a private company with no state support, but sometimes also with the Chinese government looking to get you. Then property in Hong Kong is just absurdly profitable for developers; really, Swire continuing to run Cathay despite being a private company looking to turn a profit is just down to pride (they consider it their flagship business) and the publicity it brings around the world.

With regards to lifetime diamond, unfortunately it's a case of "what have you done for me lately". They would love to get rid of the LT diamonds who contribute nothing to their bottom line now but expect special service or treatment. Of course, this is the fault of the airline (and I disagree with them, I feel Cathay should continue to offer LT status) but they probably only focus on current Diamond's who can spend and not those who spent money 25 years ago.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by CX HK
I suspect it will be like the current SCB AM card, where it is waived "on a case by case basis". So you'll just have to call each year and see if CS will waive it, and if not, cut the card.
Some corruption of the Rifleman Creed "Without MPO SL/GO, the cards are useless"

Or another foreskin
Old Jul 9, 2021, 2:55 am

Programs: CX Life Time,TG,
CX HK. I used to fly on average 4 sectors per month, all business class until the pandemic hit. Admittedly I did not change time zones much, for medical reasons, but Australia is essentially in the same time zone as Hong Kong. I bought tickets (all business class) for my wife who sometimes travelled with me, and also for one of children who flew three times each year to and from Brisbane, so I certainly was more valuable than Mrs. Wong of Wong Tai Sin.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.