Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

[Debunked] Cathay Pacific HK F Class lounge joins priority pass

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Debunked] Cathay Pacific HK F Class lounge joins priority pass

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2021, 5:54 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by sxc
I guess that’s one way for the blogger to get lots of clicks!
Originally Posted by sxc
All the blogs just copy each other’s stories. Note I said stories, not news.
I wouldn't be so hasty to blame the bloggers. PP may have made a mistake themselves.

Not sure how trustworthy this source is, and the blogger didn't post the actual screenshot of the message, but according to https://milelion.com/2021/06/20/cath...priority-pass/
Priority Pass has issued a separate statement to me, saying “Priority Pass is aware that Cathay Pacific’s ‘The Wing First Class Lounge’ at Hong Kong International Airport was briefly listed on the Priority Pass app on Saturday, 19 June. This was due to an operational error and the lounge will not be added to the Priority Pass network.”
Old Jun 20, 2021, 7:05 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
But why would Priority Pass create an entry for CXs lounge randomly? Sure it was a mistake, but where there’s smoke there’s fire?
dw, MSPeconomist, lsquare and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 8:42 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by sxc
But why would Priority Pass create an entry for CXs lounge randomly? Sure it was a mistake, but where there’s smoke there’s fire?
(Speculation only): This is an actual deal proposed by Priority Pass to CX.
Collinson don't have a lot of choices to go to after negotiations broke down with Plaza Premium - space for lounges is still a problem in HKG restricted area - the pandemic doesn't change this.
CX would like to take the cash - at least in the short run.
But probably wouldn't commit due to the vitriol the DMs will send up even if this for the short run.
So - Plaza Premium creates the posting to surreptitiously test the water. They know CX will shoot it down within 24 hours.
But they take the reaction back to CX for their consideration to gauge whether DM opposition is as sure a deal-killer as first thought.

In this theory, this is a unilateral weather balloon by Priority Pass to gauge opposition to a short-term deal.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by percysmith
(.....In this theory, this is a unilateral weather balloon by Priority Pass to gauge opposition to a short-term deal.
You may very well be right. Some other details and comments here.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2021/06/20/...-join-network/
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by lsquare
TPG also reported the news. I wonder how these guys screwed this one up? Must be very embarrassing to get something this big wrong.
To be fair - unless they "copy and paste" from each other, they did not screw up. I do believe that at some point, PP did display The Wing as a PP lounge. So they capture the error and blogged it.

The issue is, looking back, the whole thing did not make sense at all. At the minimum, if CX would need PP business, why The Wing F only? It would be more logical to have all CX lounges to accept PP instead of 1.

Also - many have over-relied these bloggers for "news" source. In my previous post, I did say this could be fake as I could not retrieve any relevant detail from PP, i.e. a fact check.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 11:37 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by garykung
The issue is, looking back, the whole thing did not make sense at all. At the minimum, if CX would need PP business, why The Wing F only? It would be more logical to have all CX lounges to accept PP instead of 1.
That’s the part that actually made the most sense to me- CX would join for the time being solely to get some additional revenue, and at such time when travel has rebounded enough that they felt it was time to reopen other lounges, they would drop from Priority Pass.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
TPG and OMAAT shared screenshots of the PP website which haven’t gone live yet. wonder if it’s someone from PP side who “leaked it” to get some excitement going.

When the news broke, they had to backpedal because of all the complaints they were getting.
It's going to be pretty funny if after this denial, CX ultimately teams up with PP.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dw
That’s the part that actually made the most sense to me- CX would join for the time being solely to get some additional revenue, and at such time when travel has rebounded enough that they felt it was time to reopen other lounges, they would drop from Priority Pass.
I think that's what everyone believed as well. Otherwise, crowding will be an issue and essentially a devaluation of OWE.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
Pure speculation.

Ah, in case the pandemic induced reduction in traffic extends, CX may be looking for some free cash flow somewhere. I may find it a little believable that they "may" open up the business lounge section, but I would be stunned if they did that for the F lounges. I mean, once traffic returns, it would render the F lounges unusable, for all intents and purposes. Far as I know, not even AA/DL/UA offer PP access to their lounges here in the States; and, while AS only offers access when capacity allows for it.

Perhaps, CX, like AS, may be exploring the possibility of some extra cash, but would be ready to cut off PP, as AS has in the past, the moment traffic returns.

I think that's what everyone believed as well. Otherwise, crowding will be an issue and essentially a devaluation of OWE.
It would suck beyond belief, and completely ruin the F lounges.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Visconti

It would suck beyond belief, and completely ruin the F lounges.
For sure! I flew CX J in February 2020 and even at that time, some of lounges were quite packed. It can only get worse with PP access. So it doesn't make business sense in the long run. CX lounges are really nice though. I think they did do a trial for paid entry. I don't know how well that went. I miss the Cathay Delight already.
Visconti likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 2:00 pm

For sure! I flew CX J in February 2020 and even at that time, some of lounges were quite packed. It can only get worse with PP access. So it doesn't make business sense in the long run. CX lounges are really nice though. I think they did do a trial for paid entry. I don't know how well that went. I miss the Cathay Delight already.
While I certainly haven't been to all the lounges in the world, I've been to my share. For me, the Pier F (and LAS Centurion) are my probably my two favorite lounges in the world, and I always enjoy the time I spend there. Yeah, right now, I'd give anything to be able to visit HK, have a bowl of dan dan noodles and couple of Cathay Delights!

I just can't envision any scenario they'd ever offer the Pier/Wing F to PP. While I can appreciate that both HK & CX are dealing with the dislocation of change forced upon them by the pandemic, I can't ever imagine they'd change that much, at least not in my lifetime.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 2:01 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Any one wonders if Priority Pass did this to re-negotiate with Plaza Premium?

Originally Posted by garykung
For the record, only The Wing F and the PVG lounge are open now, and the PVG lounge is only open the few hours before CX's own flight. If this was going to be a temporary measure before traffic resumes, CX couldn't really add any other lounge anyway.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Visconti
While I certainly haven't been to all the lounges in the world, I've been to my share. For me, the Pier F (and LAS Centurion) are my probably my two favorite lounges in the world, and I always enjoy the time I spend there. Yeah, right now, I'd give anything to be able to visit HK, have a bowl of dan dan noodles and couple of Cathay Delights!

I just can't envision any scenario they'd ever offer the Pier/Wing F to PP. While I can appreciate that both HK & CX are dealing with the dislocation of change forced upon them by the pandemic, I can't ever imagine they'd change that much, at least not in my lifetime.
Speaking about Cathay Delight, I tried it the first time on the flight and I was hooked. I had a 12 hour flight to HKG and the flight attendant actually told me I finished it all. It's a fantastic drink. HKG is such an awesome airport just because it have nice CX lounges and a Centurion Lounge.

I don't think it's a bad idea during the pandemic. I want CX to make money. I don't want them to go bankrupt. It's so sad to see some of my favorite companies in the world struggling to survive.
Sozee likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
It wouldn't surprise me, but I don't think this could be a long-term solution for PP at HKG. There's no way CX is going to come to terms with PP on that.

For the record, only The Wing F and the PVG lounge are open now, and the PVG lounge is only open the few hours before CX's own flight. If this was going to be a temporary measure before traffic resumes, CX couldn't really add any other lounge anyway.
You mean in Shanghai?
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Unlikely. FWIW - it sounded like Plaza Premium was the one not wanting to renew, not Priority Pass. And no lounge in a major international airport? It definitely impacts Priority Pass in a big way.

The deal did not sound like temporary to me.

FWIW - Priority Pass membership has increased dramatically, largely due to credit card, especially those from the U.S. And there were 4 airlines serving HKG-USA: AA, CX, SQ and UA. To me - CX seems wanting to use this chance to court more customers choosing CX instead of others. Also - this deal, if implemented, could implicate that SL lounge access would be lost in the coming future.

As you have said - the Wing F showing is largely due to the fact that it is the only lounge opening now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.