Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Down to 3 US Gateways

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2021, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Cathay Down to 3 US Gateways

Cathy has downsized to flying from the US to JFK, SFO and LAX, dropping all the other's. I had an AA Award ticket from ORD which they canceled. I am having a heck of a time trying to get a reroute.

Cathy must really be slimming down to drop all the other routes. I hope this cutback helps them to survive.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
Cathy has downsized to flying from the US to JFK, SFO and LAX, dropping all the other's. I had an AA Award ticket from ORD which they canceled. I am having a heck of a time trying to get a reroute.

Cathy must really be slimming down to drop all the other routes. I hope this cutback helps them to survive.
Poor Cathy.

I guess that you have not followed Cathay (CX) for the past year. In April 2021, CX carried just 0.7% of pax pre-pandemic (a decrease of 99.3% from April 2019).
All these US destinations have not be flown for a very long time.
becks1, aquanine and Sozee like this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 6:34 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National

CX (Cathay) dropped SEA, EWR, and IAD. CX did not officially drop any other North American destinations. Like most destinations these days, ORD and BOS are just temporarily suspended due to the pandemic. Flights are still loaded for later this year and 2022.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 6:43 am

Well...Cathy will fly to ORD and BOS in this August to cater for the demand for Chinese students returning to school.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Cathy should have been the low-cost CX carrier in the days of Ted and Song.
SKRan likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 4:32 pm

I think it is all part of the rebrand from Cathy to Karen.
etkuo, liquidtoast, SKRan and 5 others like this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you have a HK ID card? If not you’re not only gonna have a heck of a time getting a reroute you’re gonna also have a heck of a time being denied boarding and/or entry into HK for the next year or two.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
It won't. FWIW - it is the HKSAR Government, also a shareholder, that kills "Kathy", when the Government either virtually disallows all foreign entries and imposing strict quarantine to its residents.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Originally Posted by Reply1984
Well...Cathy will fly to ORD and BOS in this August to cater for the demand for Chinese students returning to school.
My CX flight was August 4 ORD-HKG-BKK and they said there were no ORD flights.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
CX (Cathay)
Why everyone on this thread loves to say “Cathy” instead of Cathay?
ISTFlyer and FlyPointyEnd like this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 1:05 am

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)
Originally Posted by pfreet
I think it is all part of the rebrand from Cathy to Karen.
HAHAHAHAAH.... god, I got coffee all over my computer... I was taking a drink while reading this and almost choked from laughing. So funny.... and basically true at this point, tbh.
worldwidedreamer and pfreet like this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 3:35 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Who said it? AA? Just because flights in early Aug. were cancelled, you interpreted it as CX dropping ORD?

ORD-HKG-BKK is currently bookable (for revenue, not sure about award) on 14AUG. Of course, no one knows if the flight will actually operate, but it's not cut as of now.

Code:
114AUGORDBKK¤CX
 14AUG  SAT   ORD/Z       BKK/¥0
CX RESPONSE ** DIRECT CONNECT PARTICIPANT **
** CATHAY PACIFIC - AN **                 57 SA 14AUG 0000
13CX  807 J9 C9 D9 P9 IL W9 R9 E4 ORDHKG   1520 2000¥1 77W 0
          Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 QL OL
14CX  617 J9 C9 D9 P9 IL Y9 B9 H9    BKK   2150 2350   333 0
          K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 QL OL
Old Jun 18, 2021, 4:04 am

Who said it? AA? Just because flights in early Aug. were cancelled, you interpreted it as CX dropping ORD?

ORD-HKG-BKK is currently bookable (for revenue, not sure about award) on 14AUG. Of course, no one knows if the flight will actually operate, but it's not cut as of now.

Code:
114AUGORDBKK¤CX
14AUG SAT ORD/Z BKK/¥0
CX RESPONSE ** DIRECT CONNECT PARTICIPANT **
** CATHAY PACIFIC - AN ** 57 SA 14AUG 0000
13CX 807 J9 C9 D9 P9 IL W9 R9 E4 ORDHKG 1520 2000¥1 77W 0
Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 QL OL
14CX 617 J9 C9 D9 P9 IL Y9 B9 H9 BKK 2150 2350 333 0
K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 QL OL
There are three HKG-ORD bookable flights and a few charters in August for Chinese students returning school. These flights were previously announced by its official social media account in China.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Just cancel the ticket. You want Kathy to rebook ORD-XXX on AA/AS? No way. They are really that cheap.

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Why everyone on this thread loves to say “Cathy” instead of Cathay?
Parody to OP. OP literally renamed the airline.

Unfortunately - nowadays, bookable does not equate to operational.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 2:30 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Do you have a HK ID card? If not you’re not only gonna have a heck of a time getting a reroute you’re gonna also have a heck of a time being denied boarding and/or entry into HK for the next year or two.
… And also a heck of a time entering Thailand on 14 days self-funded hotel quarantine (ASQ), provided of course the OP gets all the required paper-work in order first.
dw likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.