Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

"We'll soon be elevating your Cathay experience"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"We'll soon be elevating your Cathay experience"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2021, 12:46 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
So the MPC {O) don’t get it.

Apparently overseas members got the same mail initially
That's what I'm wondering and afraid of. Well, the Taishin co-brand card in Taiwan is still around, but could there be something else for overseas member that will be announced in a few weeks?
Old Jun 14, 2021, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
That's what I'm wondering and afraid of. Well, the Taishin co-brand card in Taiwan is still around, but could there be something else for overseas member that will be announced in a few weeks?
Also that's why my first thought was this was not about credit card, as credit card is a localized product.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 4:31 am
Original Poster

So it turns out it's much more than just a credit card - they want to become something of an Amazon or AirAsia.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...cept-customers
Old Jun 20, 2021, 5:34 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Ouch, that's bad news.

I certainly hope, CX does not go the same road of disputable big-data-privacy/business/tax practices as Amazon did and is doing. There are genuine reasons why Amazon is under the magnifier glass, both in the EU and the US. And, the same for that big one in China.

And, without going the Amazon road, this business type is not really that profitable.......

Edit: And, I immediately removed all marketing newsletter subscriptions, as well as all personal information (for CX, MPC and AsiaMiles) not absolutely needed to be able to fly

Last edited by Cambo; Jun 20, 2021 at 6:42 am
Old Jun 25, 2021, 6:04 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Looks like they have dropped “pacific” from their username on Instagram
Old Jul 4, 2021, 10:05 am
Original Poster

FlyPointyEnd - It looks like the Instagram handle has been changed back to "@cathaypacific"... perhaps they've scrapped the rebranding plan already?
Old Jul 4, 2021, 11:12 am

Standard Chartered has loaded a new (currently blank) page to their website that seems to be for a new "Cathay" brand credit card.

https://www.sc.com/hk/credit-cards/cathay/

If you replace the "cathay" in the link for another card product name ("asiamiles" or "simplycash"), the link is valid. If you replace "cathay" with a random string of text (or "cathaypacific"), it brings up an error page.

Page source code says it was published June 30th:

"datePublished": "2021-06-30T10:39:44+08:00",
"dateModified": "2021-06-30T10:39:45+08:00",
percysmith, SLGO and Reply1984 like this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Wow, impressive. That's a nice find. This is quite a win for SCB, as they try to reclaim their #2 spot in terms of retail banks in HK.

Personally it would be good news. They offer better service than most banks and certainly better than any Chinese SOE bank.
Isochronous likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 3:42 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by CX HK
Personally it would be good news. They offer better service than most banks and certainly better than any Chinese SOE bank.
For English speakers? We just spent Friday trashing SCB as locals.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 1:37 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
From AMEX to SCB? Don’t see how “elevating” it is, unless the increase in earn rate is substantial.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 1:52 am

Here it is:
https://news.cathaypacific.com/life-...e-brand-1updt6

As for the credit card:
Elevate your daily spending with the new range of Cathay co-branded credit cards, coming in July 2021. With every dollar you spend, you’ll earn Asia Miles to use for your next flight – and to unlock exclusive travel and lifestyle privileges. And for the first time, you’ll earn Marco Polo Club club points without flying.

As you can see, CX plans to integrate its Asia Miles program and Macro Polo program into one new program, and this program will be launched in 1H2022.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 1:58 am

Programs: CX ows, DL E+
Premium Travel Lifestyle Brand

A series of great new experiences will launch in Hong Kong over the following weeks and months:
  • A new Hong Kong cobranded credit card
  • A new and improved shopping channel
  • An exciting dining platform
  • A new and engaging wellness platform
  • A refreshed customer relationship programme will be launched within the first half of 2022
At this stage, Cathay is only available to our Hong Kong members, with Cathay Pacific continuing as our airline and master brand throughout the rest of the world.
Quoted from a friend
Old Jul 5, 2021, 2:03 am

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)
Originally Posted by Reply1984
Wow. Well, this seems like a lot of marketing nonsense to me, which no doubt it is. I hope there are some more concrete underpinnings, otherwise it's just fluff as far as I am concerned.

I also noticed the totally new design elements used. Fonts, illustrations, even the way the video is edited, all new. They must be working with a new marketing firm for this. It seems out of touch with their existing brand image, although I suppose there is nothing wrong with that. Do they do any of this in-house? I guess not.

Personally it all seems too abstract and wishful for me. Very vague.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 2:22 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
The video is terrible! As with most of their recent brand activities, there’s nothing to create an emotional connection with their customer.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 2:56 am

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)
Anyone know which marketing firms Cathay [Pacific] works with?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.