Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

7th May: Major screwup by health authorities upon arrival

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2021, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Exec Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond

I flew back on CX881 & arrived in Hong Kong on the 7th of May. Landed at 6:30am.

Upon reaching the health department registration desk, we were ecstatic to learn that fully vaccinated passengers will as of this morning (the 7th of May) receive a 14 day quarantine instead of 21. They checked my vaccination card and noted the details on the form as well etc.

We then proceeded to the waiting area for CoVid testing results. Had to wait around 5 hours or so (though this is still an unreasonable wait after a 14.5 hour flight, I am not complaining about the wait - last time it took me over 10 hours!)

When the results came in we were given new quarantine orders of 21 days. No apology and no explanation given.

Unreal. I had already informed my wife & kids, my parents even a friend who is getting married in a couple weeks time that I could attend his wedding. Everyone was super happy for me.

We were expecting 3 week quarantines when we landed - why dangle this in front of us and then take it away? Such a cruel way to treat people who have done our social responsibility of getting vaccinated in the first place.

I am guessing there were at least 100 people that day on the various flights that arrived that morning ahead of me. There were probably 40 or so on my flight.

A friend of mine who landed 3 hours earlier than me from NYC even got to his hotel room with the 14 day letter and got a phone call from the Department of Health saying his quarantine was to be extended to 21 days. He was furious to say the least.

Not a nice way to be treated. Absolutely unnecessary to play with peoples minds like that and make them enter an already stressful 3 weeks of isolation in a in an already aggravated manner.

Screenshots of the quarantine order dates below.

Old May 11, 2021, 6:59 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
take your mis-informed rants somewhere. new scheme doesnt come to implementation till May 12 0am.
https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...1050700821.htm
Old May 11, 2021, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by fakecd
take your mis-informed rants somewhere. new scheme doesnt come to implementation till May 12 0am.
https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...1050700821.htm
The government actually did this on the 7th. The front-line staff at the airport thought implementation was effective immediately. Since everyone who boarded their flights was expecting a 21-day quarantine on arrival, you can't really call it bait and switch (there was misinformation for a few hours but there was no malicious intent), but I can see how it is frustrating.

Last edited by fallinasleep; May 11, 2021 at 8:13 am
Old May 11, 2021, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by ajhira
Such a cruel way to treat people who have done our social responsibility of getting vaccinated in the first place.
Don't worry - the treatment you received is barely cruel. Cruel? Read this:

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...uarantine-game
Old May 11, 2021, 11:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Seems a bit more like "HK authorities almost applied the wrong quarantine rules, but realised their mistake and fixed it pretty quickly". It is a little unfortunate and shame to get your hopes up of course. In hindsight if people understood the changes were coming then really they would have been better delaying their flight for a day, to save seven days in quarantine (from some countries).

If it makes you feel any better I had an even "worse" outrage (said tongue in cheek) the HK authorities, upon my arrival many months ago (for 2 weeks home quarantine) also performed a "major inconvenience"... I presented myself at the airport quarantine desk at around 23:50, the front line staff printed out a 13 day and 10 minute quarantine form, as you had (since the quarantine was effective until midnight on the 14th day after arrival). However the validation point (i.e. the manager who approved them), made them delay the process for ten minutes and reprint the forms with a fresh 13 day, 23 hours and ~59 minute quarantine restriction)... I did wonder how legal it was and, whilst waiting in the waiting area for my transportation, looked at the legislation (not as a trained lawyer) but my interpretation of the rules is that the local quarantine officer actually has fairly wide ranging discretion and powers, hence not much grounds for appeal or complaint.
Cryofern likes this.
Old May 13, 2021, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
You want to hear cruel? Friend of mine came back into Hong Kong when they had a 14 day hotel quarantine requirement. On day 13 of her stay, the rules changed to 21 days quarantine. So they slapped her with an additional week a day before she was supposed to be let out.
mrgoodkat likes this.
Old May 17, 2021, 1:50 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Upon reaching the health department registration desk, we were ecstatic to learn that fully vaccinated passengers will as of this morning (the 7th of May) receive a 14 day quarantine instead of 21. They checked my vaccination card and noted the details on the form as well etc.
If you found out only when you reached the desk then you were expecting to get 21 days on deciding to depart for HKG anyway.
Old May 18, 2021, 5:58 am
Original Poster

DELETED

Last edited by ajhira; May 18, 2021 at 6:08 am
Old May 18, 2021, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith
If you found out only when you reached the desk then you were expecting to get 21 days on deciding to depart for HKG anyway.
There is no doubt we all were expecting a 21 day quarantine when I departed (there were at least 40 of us on my flight and at least as many on my friends flight from NYC earlier that morning) - but there are two things in play here:

1) Why dangle a 14 day quarantine in front of us and then yank it away? We didn't ask for it it was offered to us!!

2) Why isn't the government giving a bit more notice that they were going to reduce the quarantine? Had I and many of the other vaccinated travellers known before flying that 5 days later quarantine was going to be reduced by 7 days, many of us would have changed our dates. Leaving 5 days later would have gotten me home two days earlier. They could have easily made this announcement 3-4 days sooner.

Going through these things really isn't easy and the government has had plenty of time to deal with all this. They really should be more organised and considerate towards incoming returning residents - we are people after all and our feelings and wellbeing does matter.
Old May 18, 2021, 1:43 pm

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
There is no doubt we all were expecting a 21 day quarantine when I departed (there were at least 40 of us on my flight and at least as many on my friends flight from NYC earlier that morning) - but there are two things in play here:

1) Why dangle a 14 day quarantine in front of us and then yank it away? We didn't ask for it it was offered to us!!

2) Why isn't the government giving a bit more notice that they were going to reduce the quarantine? Had I and many of the other vaccinated travellers known before flying that 5 days later quarantine was going to be reduced by 7 days, many of us would have changed our dates. Leaving 5 days later would have gotten me home two days earlier. They could have easily made this announcement 3-4 days sooner.

Going through these things really isn't easy and the government has had plenty of time to deal with all this. They really should be more organised and considerate towards incoming returning residents - we are people after all and our feelings and wellbeing does matter.
Regarding your first point, you have my sympathy and I totally get how one might feel to have the carrot dangle in front of them only to be taken away shortly afterwards. Sounds like it's an unfortunate snafu at the airport that day.

Regarding your last paragraph though, I hate to break it to you, but over the last year, it's pretty obvious that ones' "feelings and wellbeing" rank pretty low on the list in government's eyes, especially when it comes to any pandemic related matters, and especially even more so for travellers. (I am not defending them, I am merely pointing out the facts.) Just look at how the government could suddenly lock up a whole building/block overnight to do mandatory testings, or sending a whole building to the infamous quarantine camp for weeks with little amenities and substandard food. And for travellers, it's also been pretty obvious that the government view any travellers as a huge threat/inconvenience, and hence they have no problems changing restrictions (usually for the worse) and ones "feelings and wellbeing" rank very low in any of the considerations.

Don't get me wrong, I get people have legit and important reasons to travel (especially having to deal with all the restrictions). My parents are in HK and I used to travel to HK 6 times a year. I also work in the airline industry and can't wait for travel to return to normal.
Old May 18, 2021, 4:51 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
anacdotally there are many happy non travellers that support govt stance on quarantine. "you want to travel for whatever reason, do your time, period. your feeling aint important, public good of 7.5mio is far more important"
is the ethos here.

i agree, and i used to fly more often than visiting Causeway Bay, as a disclaimer
littlevoices, SKRan and tfung like this.
Old May 18, 2021, 5:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by fakecd
i agree, and i used to fly more often than visiting Causeway Bay, as a disclaimer
It's a little off-topic, but I did find this comment quite amusing - I also achieved this goal pre-pandemic, and I live in Wan Chai. Flying perhaps 3-4 times a month and Causeway bay once every couple - (as long as you don't count going through the MTR station without getting off)
Old May 19, 2021, 3:29 am

Programs: Confirmed
If you are supposed to be under 21-day quarantine by law, but incorrectly put to 14 day, that would be a “major screwup” for them.

correctly execute the law vs your feelings for 2 hours - which one is more important?
Old May 20, 2021, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Angry

Originally Posted by SKRan
If you are supposed to be under 21-day quarantine by law, but incorrectly put to 14 day, that would be a “major screwup” for them.

correctly execute the law vs your feelings for 2 hours - which one is more important?
It was not just two hours. It was a 5-6 hour wait and we did not ask for it we were presented with it. Anyway more than that how about receiving this message today then:

除非收到衞生署另行通知,你的強制檢疫期會在今天午夜結束。之後,如你配有手帶,你可以自行剪斷手帶及刪除 「居安抗疫」應用程式。此外,請你安裝「安心出行」流動應用程式 (http://www.leavehomesafe.gov.hk),記錄你...30123;。

Unless notified otherwise by the Department of Health, your compulsory quarantine period will end at midnight today. Afterwards, if you are wearing wristband, you can cut and remove the wristband and uninstall the StayHomeSafe app. Besides, please install the LeaveHomeSafe mobile app (www.leavehomesafe.gov.hk) to record your visit history to different venues. In case any of such venues has been visited by person(s) infected with COVID-19, the mobile app will notify you together with relevant health advice. Thank you for your cooperation, and wish you good health. Together, we fight the virus.
Are they playing with our minds and feelings more or are we actually free to go? We don't even know.

Why is it acceptable for the government to screw up like this? You must remember we are all vaccinated individuals. If any of you went through the same ordeal I assure you would not be on the side of the government.

It is time for Hong Kong people to do their social responsibility and get vaccinated to put this behind us. We are one of the few places on the planet where vaccines are readily available.
Old May 20, 2021, 4:48 am

It was not just two hours. It was a 5-6 hour wait and we did not ask for it we were presented with it. Anyway more than that how about receiving this message today then:

Are they playing with our minds and feelings more or are we actually free to go? We don't even know.

Why is it acceptable for the government to screw up like this? You must remember we are all vaccinated individuals. If any of you went through the same ordeal I assure you would not be on the side of the government.

It is time for Hong Kong people to do their social responsibility and get vaccinated to put this behind us. We are one of the few places on the planet where vaccines are readily available.
Are you new to Hong Kong? HK government has always been acting with no accountability.

On vaccination, it is a consensus amongst some of the local to not have it as an act of civil disobedience. I have left Hong Kong now for good, I’ll be getting my jab in the UK when it’s my turn. But if I were to still be in HK, I would not be taking it, as I personally would not benefit from any of the ‘economic benefits’ and I’d rather the border between the mainland and HK remain ‘closed’ as is. I’d also want to do my part to bring the economy down.

Saving money for emigration is more important than going on holidays and miscellaneous spending for many in HK right now.
chentaiman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.