Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

SCMP: Cathay Pacific to slash 777X order

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2021, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Cathay Pacific Airways plans to shrink its order of Boeing’s newest marquee aircraft, the 777X, as the long-lasting effects of the Covid-19 pandemic trigger a rethink on the top-of-the-range commercial jets. The airline would “optimise” its order, two sources briefed on the matter said, slashing it from 21 planes – worth some HK$58 billion (US$7.4 billion) – to between 10 and 15.
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...g-kongs-cathay
Old Apr 25, 2021, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
They also wish to delay to 2025 or beyond.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 8:13 pm

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
I am waiting for oldchinahand to come and say this is fake news and the 777X will have a bright future at CX and that they will eventually double their orders...
SW7London likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 2:56 am

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
With currently over 50 X 777 in the fleet and the 777X unlikely to be delivered until 2027 (if at all) its likely the order will be changed several times more before we see the beast in HK.
Cathay today returned an aircraft to service from long term storage in Alice Springs. A nine year old B777 reg B-KPX.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 3:20 am

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
Also a 29 yo. ex Dragonair . A320 is at present in Darwin on its way back to HKG.
It could be that both aircraft are leased and leases expiring and being returned - I haven't checked but very possible
Old Apr 26, 2021, 8:03 am

Programs: Confirmed
777X looks good on paper but A350-1000 is the real choice for this "rebound" thingy CX is preparing for, right? Who needs F? Flexibility + fuel economics are the main things.
oldchinahand likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.