Unaccompanied Child during Covid

Old Mar 14, 21, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Unaccompanied Child during Covid

We're planning for my 11 years daughter to fly by herself from PVG-HKG-SYD in June. Is the unaccompanied child service still available with CX and is transit easy now at HKG? Haven't been flying for 13 months and do miss it.
Old Mar 14, 21, 7:06 am

Programs: QF Emerald. CX Nobody
june is still far away. But given volatility of situation i would doubt its in your best interest to do so. Service offered or not aside, that sounds like one of most silly ganble you are taking, unless you have family members in hk, and she can survive quarantine at syd alone.
Old Mar 14, 21, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
This is hardly a good idea.

Unless a miracle happen, most of the CX flights scheduled for June are placeholders. They won't happen.
Your best chance is to look at flights that are currently operating as an indication for the future. Remember that CX is currently flying 1% of its pre-covid traffic and under severe constraints for its crew. It is unlikely to vastly improve in 3 months.

Planning transiting, weeks/months ahead is not a good idea. So many bad things can happen with cancelled flights..I would not like an 11 year old be stuck at HK airport for a day or more. And you know the problems with SYD arrival caps in case she misses her connection.
If she really needs to travel, I suggest that you only consider a direct flight..
littlevoices likes this.
Old Mar 14, 21, 8:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Anything more than a few weeks out is a placeholder and you should not rely on it. I would not bother looking at this until May. But, presuming that in May, travel is possible at all:

1. What is your plan for her HKG transit if there is an issue?
2. How will she handle the Australian quarantine?

You may want to do some looking to see if this is even possible given the impediments.

As a practical answer, there is no way that I would do this to an 11 YOA absent a medical emergency.
Old Mar 14, 21, 9:23 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
CX might not be the problem. Would NSW allow a UM to enter quarantine on her own?
Old Mar 14, 21, 3:29 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
CX might not be the problem. Would NSW allow a UM to enter quarantine on her own?
I think, this would be the showstopper.

When an UM arrives, the UM is handed over to a guardian on arrival, which needs to identify her/himself, to match the UM documentation the airline does have.
This will fail now, because, with the 14 days quarantine connecting to the flight, there is nobody to pick up the UM.

Apart from that, do you (OP) really want an 11-year-old child quarantined on her own for 14 days, nobody looking after her, nobody being responsible for her well-being ?
Old Mar 14, 21, 4:23 pm

UM service is currently only possible if it's a direct flight for CX and I don't see it being resumed in near future given all the changing requirements.
Often1 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 21, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos View Post
This is hardly a good idea.

Unless a miracle happen, most of the CX flights scheduled for June are placeholders. They won't happen.
Your best chance is to look at flights that are currently operating as an indication for the future. Remember that CX is currently flying 1% of its pre-covid traffic and under severe constraints for its crew. It is unlikely to vastly improve in 3 months.

Planning transiting, weeks/months ahead is not a good idea. So many bad things can happen with cancelled flights..I would not like an 11 year old be stuck at HK airport for a day or more. And you know the problems with SYD arrival caps in case she misses her connection.
If she really needs to travel, I suggest that you only consider a direct flight..
The grandma will be entering quarantine with her in SYD. All of the direct flights at the moment are around 50K CNY and very hard to get.

Is there a lot of on spot cancellation with CX now? I mean, the PVG-HKG flight is only few hours ahead of HKG-SYD flight, is it normal now for CX to cancel flights just few hours before schedule?

Originally Posted by patrickw View Post
UM service is currently only possible if it's a direct flight for CX and I don't see it being resumed in near future given all the changing requirements.
Thanks for letting me know.
Old Mar 15, 21, 6:47 am

Programs: QF Emerald. CX Nobody
Originally Posted by Ausriver View Post
. All of the direct flights at the moment are around 50K CNY and very hard to get.
i think its priced the way it is for a reason, precisely due to uncertainties discussed above.

personally 50k is small price to pay to reduce the risk if this travel is a must
Old Mar 15, 21, 8:33 am
Suspended

Either way, you will need to confirm with both CX and Australian authorities that both will permit this. Unless both are willing, the rest of the discussion fails.
Old Mar 15, 21, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
The grandma will be entering quarantine with her in SYD. All of the direct flights at the moment are around 50K CNY and very hard to get.

Is there a lot of on spot cancellation with CX now? I mean, the PVG-HKG flight is only few hours ahead of HKG-SYD flight, is it normal now for CX to cancel flights just few hours before schedule?

Thanks for letting me know.
You mention JUNE That is like centuries away. Schedules for June are purely theoretical and just duplicates schedules of the previous years.

CX announces a fairly firm schedule for the current month. The April schedule will probably be firmed soon. That is assuming no changes in travel restrictions.
Currently there is only 1 CX per week for PVG-HKG-SYD. It is Saturday CX367/101 with a 7 hours layover in HKG.
Given the current covid situation in Hong Kong it is very unlikely that there will be many more CX flights.
Old Mar 16, 21, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your info... CX stopped UM service for PVG-HKG, so it will not work.
Old Mar 17, 21, 7:02 am

Thanks for your info... CX stopped UM service for PVG-HKG, so it will not work.
maybe you can check with SQ. SQ usually fly from PVG-SIN on Monday. (Their June schedule are not out yet. But should be following the pattern as per May). They still have the unaccompanied minor service.

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...anied-minors/#
Old Mar 18, 21, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbs2716g View Post
maybe you can check with SQ. SQ usually fly from PVG-SIN on Monday. (Their June schedule are not out yet. But should be following the pattern as per May). They still have the unaccompanied minor service.

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...anied-minors/#

Thanks for your suggestion. We've checked with China Eastern and been told that all UM service has been stopped ex-China during COVID. Which makes even direct flights out of China not very possible. So not sure if SQ would do it for the PVG-SIN leg.

Does any one know if the UM service would work if she departs from Shenzhen Shekou and take the direct flight HKG-SYD? i.e. where would CX staff be meeting her.

The travel is compulsory as she needs to come here for school, and no one lives in China now can enter Australia, while no one here in Australia is allowed to leave the country.

Thanks very much.
Old Mar 18, 21, 7:52 am
Suspended

Thanks for your suggestion. We've checked with China Eastern and been told that all UM service has been stopped ex-China during COVID. Which makes even direct flights out of China not very possible. So not sure if SQ would do it for the PVG-SIN leg.

Does any one know if the UM service would work if she departs from Shenzhen Shekou and take the direct flight HKG-SYD? i.e. where would CX staff be meeting her.

The travel is compulsory as she needs to come here for school, and no one lives in China now can enter Australia, while no one here in Australia is allowed to leave the country.

Thanks very much.
You really should check directly with CX and then discuss with the closest Australian Consulate. There are provisions of quarantine waivers for UM's, but they are subject to specific local requirements as well and require an advance plan which has been pre-approved.

Thus, you need to learn what might be acceptable, then devise a plan which meets those expectations and submit it for approval. All of this will take a lot of time and thus, you should plan on having anything in place well before travel.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: