Overnight transit in HKG -- oh boy

Old Feb 26, 21, 3:30 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Programs: CX MPC Diamond (ow emerald), TU Miles & More elite (SA Gold), Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Posts: 203
Overnight transit in HKG -- oh boy

I'm transiting overnight in HKG on Tuesday and cannot enter Hong Kong to go to the transit hotel. I'll be in The Pier - First Class lounge as long as I can, but it's not open overnight of course. Any suggestions for where to catch a few hours sleep? Ugh. Will be interesting to see what HKG is like these days I suppose.

Route is PVG-HKG-BKK.

-Chris
cmiller11101 is offline  
Old Feb 26, 21, 5:36 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Singapore
Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Posts: 749
There should be some slouchers around the 20ish gates one floor down from departure level if those are still around
CXFlyerBoy is offline  
Old Feb 26, 21, 7:08 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Posts: 13,482
Only the Wing is open.
brunos is offline  
Old Feb 26, 21, 7:18 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Programs: CX MPC Diamond (ow emerald), TU Miles & More elite (SA Gold), Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Posts: 203
Originally Posted by brunos View Post
Only the Wing is open.
Oh yeah, I meant The Wing... it's been so long (1 year) since I've been in HKG. My memory fades quickly. Lol.
cmiller11101 is offline  
Old Feb 26, 21, 7:58 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Confirmed
Programs: Have
Posts: 989
Plaza premium has overnight lounge(before covid) and there was a bedroom hotel inside if I remember correctly.
SKRan is offline  
Old Feb 26, 21, 8:06 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Programs: CX MPC Diamond (ow emerald), TU Miles & More elite (SA Gold), Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Posts: 203
Originally Posted by SKRan View Post
Plaza premium has overnight lounge(before covid) and there was a bedroom hotel inside if I remember correctly.
omg! I forgot about this... you're right, they do, and I have access to that lounge as well. Nice. Thanks!

-Chris
cmiller11101 is offline  
Old Feb 26, 21, 7:40 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Posts: 13,482
There is no hotel within the transit area.
The Plazza Premium lounge near gate 35 is open 2300-0800, but the per-hour charge is quite stiff.
brunos is offline  
Old Feb 28, 21, 7:37 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Confirmed
Programs: Have
Posts: 989
Originally Posted by brunos View Post
There is no hotel within the transit area.
The Plazza Premium lounge near gate 35 is open 2300-0800, but the per-hour charge is quite stiff.
no, not the transit area but the departure gates
SKRan is offline  
Old Feb 28, 21, 8:46 pm
  #9  
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Accor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Posts: 10,524
Did the Aerotel with the day rooms get removed? I think Plaza Premium reconfigured the space into a normal
lounge.
sxc is offline  
Old Feb 28, 21, 9:22 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Programs: CX Gold
Posts: 104
Originally Posted by cmiller11101 View Post
omg! I forgot about this... you're right, they do, and I have access to that lounge as well. Nice. Thanks!

-Chris
Originally Posted by brunos View Post
There is no hotel within the transit area.
The Plazza Premium lounge near gate 35 is open 2300-0800, but the per-hour charge is quite stiff.
Originally Posted by sxc View Post
Did the Aerotel with the day rooms get removed? I think Plaza Premium reconfigured the space into a normal
lounge.
this sounds about right, actually - I looked and the HKG location has indeed been removed from the Aerotel website, but the picture of a private room on the Plaza Premium website for the gate 35 lounge are definitely the same physical rooms that used to be branded as the "Refreshhh by Aerotel"

so OP's Plaza Premium access should be useful - what I wonder is whether usage of the private rooms is included or whether an upcharge would be needed
SKRan likes this.
Cryofern is offline  
Old Mar 25, 21, 11:07 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Confirmed
Programs: Have
Posts: 989
Originally Posted by Cryofern View Post
this sounds about right, actually - I looked and the HKG location has indeed been removed from the Aerotel website, but the picture of a private room on the Plaza Premium website for the gate 35 lounge are definitely the same physical rooms that used to be branded as the "Refreshhh by Aerotel"

so OP's Plaza Premium access should be useful - what I wonder is whether usage of the private rooms is included or whether an upcharge would be needed
I miss the cabanas in the Wing F..
djsflynn likes this.
SKRan is offline  
Old Mar 28, 21, 9:07 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: London, SW3
Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Posts: 1,422
Originally Posted by SKRan View Post
I miss the cabanas in the Wing F..
They’re useless for sleeping in, here’s no bedding, the aircon is fierce, there are frequent PA announcements and you’re limited to 90 minutes anyway.

I’ve had much better luck in the mini sleeping rooms at Pier F with a pair of noise cancelling headphones: there are no PA announcements, you get a blanket (ask for two) but there is still some noise mostly from outside airside traffic, hence the headphones. They’ve never enforced the 90 minute limit there either IME, but I’ve only ever transited at weekends. YMMV.

Largely moot now though as the Pier’s closed of course!
eponymous_coward and seawolf like this.
Howard Long is offline  
Old Mar 29, 21, 8:18 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: MPC Inv
Posts: 117
There good permanent recliner chairs adjacent to gates 34 and 43. According to my son they are pretty comfortable for a few hours.
oldchinahand is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: