Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

No flights from UK (or passengers who have been in UK) from 22 December

Old Dec 20, 2020, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Reply1984
As for new variants in UK, I strongly suspect that this is more like a political move from BoJo's government, persuading his Conservatives friends to tightening social distancing rules.
Strong claim. The U.K. medical experts say that the new mutation has 70% higher transmission rates, as I understand it.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by HarbourGent
Strong claim. The U.K. medical experts say that the new mutation has 70% higher transmission rates, as I understand it.
Major EU countries have now banned flights from UK, other countries like Canada have done the same. France also banfreights, basically closing the channel (ports and tunel). I wonder if HK will follow suit.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
Major EU countries have now banned flights from UK, other countries like Canada have done the same. France also banfreights, basically closing the channel (ports and tunel). I wonder if HK will follow suit.
some legislators are asking for flight banned. Some are suggesting 3 weeks quarantine.

There were report that HKG gov will announce the details very soon.

Based on the stats given, out of 1900 imported cases for HKG, 22% came from UK.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All U.K. flights banned by Tuesday
Old Dec 21, 2020, 1:08 am

I would like to withdraw the argument at #1306 about the new variant of the virus. It seems that it is for real, especially when Canada and Hong Kong suspended UK flights. HKU research team also finds out that the transmissibility of the new variant is 75% higher.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 3:15 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.

as discussed elsewhere UK flight banned. but what intrigues me is even hk resident (i.e. those with right of abode here, citizen equivalent) are barred entry to hk if they spent 2hrs in uk in last 14 days

this is interesting development (the citizen bit). apparently consulted DoJ so all arse legal grounds are covered and govt has lawyered up.

i been saying govt wants to adapt china policy. its slowly getting there with colorful excuse to disguise the reaons

(thx Bruno pointing out i forgot to paste link)
https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1566413-20201221.htm?spTabChangeable=0

Last edited by fakecd; Dec 21, 2020 at 4:05 am Reason: forgot to add link
Old Dec 21, 2020, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

France also banfreights, basically closing the channel (ports and tunel).
To be more precise, as regards freight, France has (temporarily) banned only freight that requires movement of persons too, so, in practice, this means mostly lorries. Container and airborne freight remains possible.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would like to withdraw the argument at #1306 about the new variant of the virus. It seems that it is for real, especially when Canada and Hong Kong suspended UK flights. HKU research team also finds out that the transmissibility of the new variant is 75% higher.
Do you have a link to the HKU study?
Old Dec 21, 2020, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fakecd
as discussed elsewhere UK flight banned. but what intrigues me is even hk resident (i.e. those with right of abode here, citizen equivalent) are barred entry to hk if they spent 2hrs in uk in last 14 days

this is interesting development (the citizen bit). apparently consulted DoJ so all arse legal grounds are covered and govt has lawyered up.

i been saying govt wants to adapt china policy. its slowly getting there with colorful excuse to disguise the reaons
Do you have any official link to the barring of anyone who has been in the UK?
Journalists are prone to speculate, but it seems that HK is only suspending all flights from the UK. That leaves open the possibility for UK pax to transit via DOH, DXB and other destinations which allow flights from UK.
I also wonder whether they will simply apply the current rule that allows flights but without pax. Currently BA is "banned" and flies to HK with cargo only, but from H with pax and cargo.

In Europe, this is a temporary precautionary measure until more is known about that variant and health protocoles are adapted (like tests pre-departure and on arrival).
Old Dec 21, 2020, 3:57 am

Do you have any official link to the barring of anyone who has been in the UK?
Journalists are prone to speculate, but it seems that HK is only suspending all flights from the UK. That leaves open the possibility for UK pax to transit via DOH, DXB and other destinations which allow flights from UK.
I also wonder whether they will simply apply the current rule that allows flights but without pax. Currently BA is "banned" and flies to HK with cargo only, but from H with pax and cargo.

In Europe, this is a temporary precautionary measure until more is known about that variant and health protocoles are adapted (like tests pre-departure and on arrival).
No transit. Any passenger who has been in UK for 2 hours during the last 14 days cannot enter Hong Kong, including HK residents. Still, people have ways to come back to Hong Kong from UK. They could fly to a third country and stay there for 14 days, and then comes back to HK.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No transit. Any passenger who has been in UK for 2 hours during the last 14 days cannot enter Hong Kong, including HK residents. Still, people have ways to come back to Hong Kong from UK. They could fly to a third country and stay there for 14 days, and then comes back to HK.
Again, do you have a link to the HKU study on the variant that you mentioned earlier?

And do you have a link to the statement "Any passenger who has been in UK for 2 hours during the last 14 days cannot enter Hong Kong, including HK residents.".?
mean beyond some famous journalist' speculations.

Many thanks

Last edited by brunos; Dec 21, 2020 at 4:06 am
Old Dec 21, 2020, 4:10 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.

And do you have a link to the statement "Any passenger who has been in UK for 2 hours during the last 14 days cannot enter Hong Kong, including HK residents.".?
thx pointing out i forgot to paste link, so pasted on original post. its on RTHK website citing Sophia Chan (secretary for food and health, so a cabinet lvl speaker)

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...abChangeable=0
Old Dec 21, 2020, 4:11 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Again, do you have a link to the HKU study on the variant that you mentioned earlier?

mean beyond some famous journalist' speculations.

Many thanks
For the 2 hours thing: (In Chinese)政府午夜起禁所有英國航班來港 延長由英抵港人士檢疫時間 - 港澳 - 無綫新聞 - tvb.com
Old Dec 21, 2020, 4:43 am

CX have cancelled all LHR flight till 10/Jan.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fakecd
thx pointing out i forgot to paste link, so pasted on original post. its on RTHK website citing Sophia Chan (secretary for food and health, so a cabinet lvl speaker)

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...abChangeable=0
Thanks.

The two hours thing is quite funny

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.