Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

New regional business class seat revealed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New regional business class seat revealed

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2020, 1:07 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by percysmith
That seat has at least as much recline as JL Class J, but wider.

Something about the lumbar support of the existing slide forward CX regional J doesn't work for me.
Wider is more dictated by Cabin Width then anything else.

Problem is how much pitch would you need to use the QF Domestic J seat on a CX 32Q?
Not 37-39" I bloody hope.

You can't ask for an extra pillow to fix the lumbar support?
My beef with the current CX Regional J is the Ankle part is dangled way too high and sometime kills Calf blood circulation
Old Dec 13, 2020, 1:09 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by VE105
Those seats seem decent enough for the short flights these A321 will be operating.
A short hop to KHH or MNL is fine, but definitely not a flight to KTM or a redeye to NRT.

QF flies domestically a 4-5 hour distance with flatbeds in A330s, and many american carriers also offer transcon flat-beds, from DL to B6. Seems sad for an airline often regarded by the general public to be amongst the world’s best to offer such a meagre product.
Short hair Francis likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 6:30 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
You can't ask for an extra pillow to fix the lumbar support?
Perhaps too much of it. It's like sleeping on a hard slide.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 3:07 am

Programs: Confirmed
I really like ZH's J product on narrowbodies. It's basically the same domestic/regional J seat for all the Chinese carriers, but ZH installed 8 in the space of 12 so everyone has a giant pitch.
percysmith likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 4:17 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
The newly release of EK PE seats does overshine the new CX regional J. Perhaps regional seats and long haul seats are just not directly comparable.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SLGO
The newly release of EK PE seats does overshine the new CX regional J. Perhaps regional seats and long haul seats are just not directly comparable.
I think EK's PEY seats look very kitsch, along with first and business. Definitely prefer CX's subdued colours... though having said that do still wish that CX had went with a non-shell seat given that they chose to keep recliners instead of installing flat-beds.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 5:30 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
EK PEY / CX A350 PEY >>>CX "new" regional J
based on stats and photo of hardware....that say a lot about CX
Old Dec 29, 2020, 6:36 am

Programs: Confirmed
Personally - for a regional flight, being able to recline into a good position and not having a seat back reclined onto my face matters. Many lie-flat products are not so good when in the recliner position - for example - the SQ J
Cryofern likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 7:12 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I'm quite certain I am going to prefer sitting in the new CX Regional J seats to the EK Premium Economy seats.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by sxc
I'm quite certain I am going to prefer sitting in the new CX Regional J seats to the EK Premium Economy seats.
Can’t say you’re wrong given it’s supposed to be a business class product. I’d however say that adding the price factor in, especially the huge premium ex-HKG, the whole story may change. (I know it’s not fair to compare the price at home port vs outport)
Old Dec 30, 2020, 11:50 am

In the past few years, Vivian Lo said it multiple times that there won't be a lie flat regional J seats, so this is not surprising. You need to understand Cathay is not what is used to be (even before Covid). It is still a great airline but it is not industry-leading anymore.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
This looks like it could've been an interesting option for CX, had it been on the market when they were making their selection...

https://onemileatatime.com/factoryde...ss-class-seat/
Old Jan 30, 2021, 12:51 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by clubeurope
A short hop to KHH or MNL is fine, but definitely not a flight to KTM or a redeye to NRT.

QF flies domestically a 4-5 hour distance with flatbeds in A330s, and many american carriers also offer transcon flat-beds, from DL to B6. Seems sad for an airline often regarded by the general public to be amongst the world’s best to offer such a meagre product.
QF, even pre Covid, was utilising A330s on transcon runs less than they were. They were running a lot of 73H’s as VA had started reducing their 332 transcon flying (and are now gone).

With VA 332’s gone, QF likely to need 789’s to fly long haul routes some of which was previously 380, their 330s will be important flying to Asia when travel re opens. Consequently, fewer 330s required transcon.

I’d probably take the proposed J over QF 73H domestic J - that really was just the international PE seat. Large recline is just not conducive to laptop work - crushed screens are just too commonplace.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
This looks like it could've been an interesting option for CX, had it been on the market when they were making their selection...

https://onemileatatime.com/factoryde...ss-class-seat/
This is an interesting regional J product. But as the author suggested, it may not be attractive enough just to have direct aisle access for shorter / daytime flights.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 8:51 am
Original Poster

This is an interesting regional J product. But as the author suggested, it may not be attractive enough just to have direct aisle access for shorter / daytime flights.
It's probably better than the one they installed though. Having said that, it might be a very interesting choice for a next-gen PEY seat if CX chooses to sticks with being highly premium

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.