Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

New regional business class seat revealed

New regional business class seat revealed

Old Dec 12, 2020, 5:54 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the SQ 7M8s have the Vantage seats? Which means there are alternating rows of 2-2 and 1-1. The 1-1 throne seats therefore have 4x more table/storage space compared to the 2-2 seats. I don't like the product inconsistency and would feel annoyed paying the same price if I could only get one of the 2-2 seats.

Don't really like this new color scheme, but it matches the previous KA F (cirrus) color scheme on the A330s. Looks more comfortable than the previous generation, will have to try it to know for sure.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 5:35 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by percysmith
Maybe I took too many regional J as redeye flights, but I would have killed for some real recline akin to Qantas domestic J or even JAL Class J over this. Not to be.
SriLankan’s A320 recliners has possibly got to have one of the best reclines (and legroom) I’ve ever seen. Sure this seat looks snazzy and all, but it really gives away the comfort. Unless CX commits on not flying these on longer regionals (which I doubt), it’s not much of an improvement
Old Dec 12, 2020, 6:55 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by clubeurope
SriLankan’s A320 recliners has possibly got to have one of the best reclines (and legroom) I’ve ever seen. Sure this seat looks snazzy and all, but it really gives away the comfort. Unless CX commits on not flying these on longer regionals (which I doubt), it’s not much of an improvement
This one https://milelion.com/2019/01/16/circ...mb-doh-review/ ?

djsflynn likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

this one, although that also looks pretty substantial

https://www.navjot-singh.com/airline...ss-airbus-a321

had this seat on a short red-eye to Seychelles and it was the best sleep i’ve had on a recliner
djsflynn likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 7:27 pm

this one, although that also looks pretty substantial

https://www.navjot-singh.com/airline...ss-airbus-a321

had this seat on a short red-eye to Seychelles and it was the best sleep i’ve had on a recliner
Similar to Qantas domestic J then:

[photo deleted, wrong photo posted]

Last edited by percysmith; Dec 12, 2020 at 7:50 pm
Old Dec 12, 2020, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Similar to Qantas domestic J then:

I was under the impression that QF domestic J has a much worse legroom. Though having said that, it appears that the picture above is an A380 PEY seat :/
Old Dec 12, 2020, 7:56 pm

Oh! My bad

I am really struggling to find a reclined photo of Qantas Domestic J. I don't think I even have one myself.
This is the closest I can get. I do see where you're coming from about legroom but I am more of a width guy than a tall guy https://www.mapworld.com.au/blogs/ne...s-class-review

clubeurope likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Good Point fakecd, they couldn't have use the BE Diamond Seat like the SQ 7M8s?
Not the Diamond: forthcoming Singapore Airlines (nee SilkAir) Boeing 787 MAX jets will use Thompson Aero's Vantage. Still lie-flat but the alternating 2-2 / 1-1 layout means it's not direct aisle access for everyone.

FYI: Vantage single-aisle LOPA

Render of Vantage cabin (Aer Lingus)
clubeurope likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 11:48 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Singapore's installing Diamonds on their 737 max? I'm surprised they didn't go for the Vantage or that new narrow body direct aisle access seat
Originally Posted by cx4ever
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the SQ 7M8s have the Vantage seats? Which means there are alternating rows of 2-2 and 1-1. The 1-1 throne seats therefore have 4x more table/storage space compared to the 2-2 seats. I don't like the product inconsistency and would feel annoyed paying the same price if I could only get one of the 2-2 seats.

Don't really like this new color scheme, but it matches the previous KA F (cirrus) color scheme on the A330s. Looks more comfortable than the previous generation, will have to try it to know for sure.
Originally Posted by djsflynn
Not the Diamond: forthcoming Singapore Airlines (nee SilkAir) Boeing 787 MAX jets will use Thompson Aero's Vantage. Still lie-flat but the alternating 2-2 / 1-1 layout means it's not direct aisle access for everyone.

FYI: Vantage single-aisle LOPA

Render of Vantage cabin (Aer Lingus)

MY BAD
CM 7M8s is using the BE Diamond, not the SQ ones.

Guess the point is the same, why didn't they at least use the BE Diamonds like the AA 321T Business
Too Bloody cheap on the Seat Pitch I guess
clubeurope likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 12:05 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Maybe I took too many regional J as redeye flights, but I would have killed for some real recline akin to Qantas domestic J or even JAL Class J over this. Not to be.
percysmith , you didn't get Brain Damage from all of those Red-Eyes to KIX

QF Domestic J has little if any recline.
JL Class J does, but is a WAY tighter product than the current CX Short Haul J.

clubeurope, SHF 1.67TB Travel Photo Library to the Rescue
If CX was to use the UL 320 Recliner seat, I doubt none of us here will be b!tching/meh right now.

Commitment in HKG, HA!!!
How long is that going to last until it's a Historical Document which is no longer Valid

Oh! My bad

I am really struggling to find a reclined photo of Qantas Domestic J. I don't think I even have one myself.
This is the closest I can get. I do see where you're coming from about legroom but I am more of a width guy than a tall guy https://www.mapworld.com.au/blogs/ne...s-class-review
percysmith, you definitely don't want the QF Domestic J seat

clubeurope likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 12:48 am

Those seats seem decent enough for the short flights these A321 will be operating.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 12:49 am

Can't see the need of fully flat bed on any flights shorter than 5 or 6 hours anyway.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 1:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Frankly I would prefer the original Barcalounger seats that were on the regional 777s and A330s above every other seat that has been thrown about here. I'm talking about the ones with manual recline and legrest extension, not the refreshed ones with electric recline that made it onto a handful of 777s. The cradle position on those seats was very comfortable IMHO, and a refresh of the upholstery, trim, and IFE system would make the seat quite appealing.

To be clear, I'm talking about these seats: https://onemileatatime.com/a380-extr...re-to-colombo/.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by VE105
Those seats seem decent enough for the short flights these A321 will be operating.
Can't see the need of fully flat bed on any flights shorter than 5 or 6 hours anyway.
If you keep doing those ~4 hrs red-eyes from the Subcontinent, you might say otherwise...
I've had more than a few South Asians who told me KA stinks on those flights and they go out of the way to avoid them.

Originally Posted by dkc192
Frankly I would prefer the original Barcalounger seats that were on the regional 777s and A330s above every other seat that has been thrown about here. I'm talking about the ones with manual recline and legrest extension, not the refreshed ones with electric recline that made it onto a handful of 777s. The cradle position on those seats was very comfortable IMHO, and a refresh of the upholstery, trim, and IFE system would make the seat quite appealing.
This Seat!

Come to think of it, that seat was pretty comfy for that time period.
Rolling Tape IFE except

If CX were to go for a modern day Barcalounger, then then the most logical seat would be the one Malindo uses.

Manual Adjustment, IFE, Seat Power

But then I would want to see Malindo prices and not Cathay prices.

Otherwise, why isn't one flying with OD then...
Plus who is CX competing with?
Hopefully not OD
percysmith and clubeurope like this.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
percysmith, you definitely don't want the QF Domestic J seat

That seat has at least as much recline as JL Class J, but wider.

Something about the lumbar support of the existing slide forward CX regional J doesn't work for me.

Last edited by percysmith; Dec 13, 2020 at 3:45 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.