Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX to close KA!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
After the UO purchase, it didn't make sense to have two full service brands plus one budget carrier under the same umbrella. KA contracts might have offered some staff savings (no idea - just a guess) but given that CX is only forecasting 50% capacity, it would make sense to fold KA.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by feh
No mention of HK Express.
I’d expect HK Express to remain as Cathay’s low-cost leisure arm, so this is pretty much a HKG version of Singapore Airlines subsuming its own regional SilkAir while retaining Scoot for LCC leisure.
Cryofern likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 6:19 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
The axe falls

【最新】國泰航空包括國泰港龍航空將整體削減約8500個職位,未來數周將裁減約5300名駐港員工;國泰 港龍航空將即日起停止營運

https://news.now.com/urgentnews.jsp?...23&refer=Share

http://cablenews.i-cable.com/ci/videopage/news/38140
Old Oct 20, 2020, 6:41 pm

Snap summary
  • Cathay Dragon "will cease operations with immediate effect."
  • CX says "it is intended that regulatory approval will be sought for a majority of Cathay Dragon’s routes to be operated by Cathay Pacific and HK Express, a wholly-owned subsidiary."
What this means for the Dragon's two almost-ready-now A321neo jets, plus the 14 to follow, and the 16 after that which were earmarked for HK Express, remains to be seen...
Old Oct 20, 2020, 7:18 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
English news report:

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...s-hk22-billion
Old Oct 20, 2020, 8:28 pm
feh

Programs: Cathay Pacific, Air Astana
Question becomes which routes will they try to shift to UO and which to CX. For me, RGN, DAC, HAN and potentially KTM the key ones. Okay, HAN is a short hop. But the overnight return flights from RGN, DAC and KTM weren't exactly great on KA (in Y). If they go to UO without UO upping its game then I'll need to look at alternatives - and in doing so could well jeopardise my Marco Polo status (as I typically have a mix of CX and KA and an occasional trip on other OneWorld). If MarcoPolo status is lost, then there's little-to-no point in paying extra $ for CX - and I'd need a different airline/ programme to consolidate everything with.

And another thought - apologies if answered elsewhere but can't find it - doesn't look like UO gets you any MarcoPolo points?
Old Oct 20, 2020, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Wow. And it was only in recent years that it rebranded to Cathay Dragon.
IMHO - that should not even happen at all. The "Dragon" brand should be eliminated more than a decade ago.

Originally Posted by feh
No mention of HK Express.
I believe UO is still operated separately from CX.

Originally Posted by boybi
What will CX do with the single aisle aircrafts of KA?
Absorb them first. Then deal with them later - either sell them to companies like UA, or reassign them to UO.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 9:21 pm

The KA brushstroke against red livery looks very elegant and imposing though, especially when aircrafts are placed side by side with the green livery of CX.
dodgeflyer likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 9:26 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF
A very sad day for KA and CX families as well as for many of us in the FF community :-(
Old Oct 20, 2020, 9:55 pm

Programs: CX Gold, KE Morning Calm, Marriott Titanium
Very sad day for KA and will miss it.
Indeed, I always think and feel the services provided by KA is way much better than CX.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 9:59 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Very sad indeed. KA was the only international airline in many Chinese airports for a long time. Definitely will be remembered.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by feh
Question becomes which routes will they try to shift to UO and which to CX. For me, RGN, DAC, HAN and potentially KTM the key ones. Okay, HAN is a short hop. But the overnight return flights from RGN, DAC and KTM weren't exactly great on KA (in Y). If they go to UO without UO upping its game then I'll need to look at alternatives - and in doing so could well jeopardise my Marco Polo status (as I typically have a mix of CX and KA and an occasional trip on other OneWorld). If MarcoPolo status is lost, then there's little-to-no point in paying extra $ for CX - and I'd need a different airline/ programme to consolidate everything with.
And another thought - apologies if answered elsewhere but can't find it - doesn't look like UO gets you any MarcoPolo points?
The KA route split between CX and UO is one question I'll be posing at this arvo's media session, and will also ask your one about UO-MPC if I can.

Update: bugger, we had less than 30mins of Q&A and I didn't get any of my questions in, but I have sent them through to CX PR and will share answers here if/when I get 'em.

Update 2, Electric Boogaloo: no useful answers from CX PR. My own take on the KA carve-up would be that premium routes with solid margin are handed to CX, leisure routes with more price-sensitive travellers are handed to UO. Could be mix and match for some countries, eg Manila has premium travellers ex-HKG due to call centres, one reason there's a CX lounge there, so that might be handed over to CX; but Cebu might be far more leisure and low-cost, so it goes UO. Doesn't mean a city can't have both airlines, too – Manila has a lot of low-cost traffic so maybe some flights CX and some UO.
feh and Cryofern like this.

Last edited by djsflynn; Oct 21, 2020 at 3:26 am
Old Oct 20, 2020, 11:25 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by percysmith
To the masses of HK Big4 paratroopers (also known as auditors), KA planes are the Jolly Green Giants who take you into "the jungle" (PRC) for a SAD mission (Search And Destroy, also known as an IPO audit, or slash and burn), then come back when you radio them (Open return ticket - we never got our return dates fixed) to take out the wounded and the living.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by djsflynn
The KA route split between CX and UO is one question I'll be posing at this arvo's media session, and will also ask your one about UO-MPC if I can.
maybe they will do same as SQ/MI/Scoot. With same main cities served by both CX n UO.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 12:21 am

Programs: BA EC
All KA tickets are to be cancelled except PEK, SHA, PVG, TPE and DPS

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...assengers.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.