Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore - Hong Kong travel bubble

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2020, 10:54 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by brunos
You keep quoting a lot of post in Chinese.
Would you mind providing a short summary of each as per rule of FT.
Which rule?

Last edited by percysmith; Nov 20, 2020 at 11:05 pm
Old Nov 20, 2020, 11:33 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by percysmith
Which rule?
Moderator note:

There is a rule that states that if there are links to external sources, there should be a short summary of the relevant information:

https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#externallinks

Don't simply post a link by itself to another source, such as an article or blog. (See also, Rule 9 – Posting Copyrighted Material.) Posts containing such links should contain enough information so as to be contributive to FlyerTalk itself. You must include enough content for the FlyerTalk post to stand on its own without following the link.
percysmith likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by VE105
The news said SIN authority said that if the no. of unlinked cases in HK in coming 3 days exceed 22, than the bubble will be suspended.
Thanks. That was exactly the result of your brilliant calculations
Given the 48-hour notice before suspension kicks in, the first 2 or 3 days should at least operate.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 1:37 am

to be deleted
Old Nov 21, 2020, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by VE105
The news said SIN authority said that if the no. of unlinked cases in HK in coming 3 days exceed 22, than the bubble will be suspended.

Now we already know that the total no. of cases today is 45, and will know how many of them are unlinked in several hours after govt's press conference.
43 cases total: 13 cases untraceable local, 23 cases traceable local (21 from Starlight Dance Club), 7 imported https://news.now.com/urgentnews.jsp?...56&refer=Share

Plus 60 preliminary confirmed https://ott-news.i-cable.com/zh-hk/l...cid=16898&ct=1

Last edited by percysmith; Nov 21, 2020 at 2:07 am
Old Nov 21, 2020, 1:42 am

"The travel bubble between Hong Kong and Singapore, initially set to launch on Sunday, is set to be postponed for two weeks with the former facing more than 90 confirmed and preliminary Covid-19 cases, continuing an alarming trend of a fresh surge in infections.'

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...oms-close-live

Edit 17:04: Secretary of Commerce and Economic Development Edward Yau confirmed the suspension [NowTV news flash]

Last edited by percysmith; Nov 21, 2020 at 2:06 am
Old Nov 21, 2020, 1:56 am

"The travel bubble between Hong Kong and Singapore, initially set to launch on Sunday, is set to be postponed for two weeks with the former facing more than 90 confirmed and preliminary Covid-19 cases, continuing an alarming trend of a fresh surge in infections.'

This is understandable...although there are only 13 unlinked cases today, there are already 60+ prelim confirmed cases so it's certain the "35 cases" magic number will be reached tomorrow.
Postpone for 2 weeks can avoid the awkward situation that ppl travel within the bubble on 22 Nov need to adhere to quarantine measures when they back to their home town.
percysmith and Reply1984 like this.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 2:13 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Choices available now to me (flight was on 3 December).... Immediately rebook online and pay an increased fee of another 4k HKD (no I class seats available) and get a seat, or wait for a Cathay change waiver and see what happens with regards to rebooking, but run the risk that the flights are completely full. Doh!

Think I will wait since there is still a fair chance that the bubble is delayed more anyway. Crossed fingers Cathay allows rebooking into any business class seats if available rather than holding to the fare class.

**Note: Within 45 minutes the cheaper seats have gone and now its only fully flexible J class tickets online, I guess I will wait for them to cancel the flight and see what happens**

Last edited by littlevoices; Nov 21, 2020 at 2:45 am
Old Nov 21, 2020, 2:14 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
postpone 12hr before first flight set to take off. sorry but i did tell you so from 2 or 3wk ago it wad never going to happen, and clearly both sides wanted to salvage to the last minute. HK govt need to make up their mind, either take hard stance to boarder closure so that it can open up to china sooner, or take half butt approach like they do now half closing economy and half trying to pretend its all normal (bubble? when they shutting school?)

anyways just proves this bubble is dangerous for traveller. they can unilateally take these last minute measures, what would have happened if first flight already took off, and they changed policy? those who went needs 2wk quarantine on return! there is no safe harbour for those already travelling, from govt bipolat attitude of last minute policy U turns here and there

travel at your own risk
Old Nov 21, 2020, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold

Edit 17:04: Secretary of Commerce and Economic Development Edward Yau confirmed the suspension [NowTV news flash]
I don't see how it could start in 2 weeks. HK situation will get worse before it gets better. The number of unlinked cases for the week starting on Sunday 29 is likely to be high. That is the data used to justify opening the bubble.
The fourth wave is just staring and the government has yet to take strict measures like closing bars and karaoke which seem a big current contagion source. Just forbidding live bands seems a small step.

Glad I did not book my tickets for December and doubt that the bubble will start in the next four weeks. But let's hope.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by littlevoices
Choices available now to me (flight was on 3 December).... Immediately rebook online and pay an increased fee of another 4k HKD (no I class seats available) and get a seat, or wait for a Cathay change waiver and see what happens with regards to rebooking, but run the risk that the flights are completely full. Doh!

Think I will wait since there is still a fair chance that the bubble is delayed more anyway. Crossed fingers Cathay allows rebooking into any business class seats if available rather than holding to the fare class.

**Note: Within 45 minutes the cheaper seats have gone and now its only fully flexible J class tickets online, I guess I will wait for them to cancel the flight and see what happens**
I will just wait because Cathay Pacific is just zeroing on all the inventory till the government comes up with a new plan. I believe CX will rebook all the flights to those non-bubble flights but you can get a full refund for those flights before December 5. You can check out cx website.

I presume CX will not put out any new inventory till the government announce their new plans. I have a ticket on PE for December 8 to 13. I will just wait till Monday when there is more concrete information. With the additional tests on arrival in Singapore now, the bubble is getting less attractive.

I guess travel will be impossible till a vaccine is widely available!

Carfield
Old Nov 21, 2020, 3:33 pm

The situation had evolved very fast. Even on Saturday morning, it was announced that ATB would be going ahead the next day but with additional COVID tests for arrivals at SIN at a cost of S$196, where passengers would get it done at Changi, and take private transport directly to accommodation and self quarantine before the results are released. (Which is a friendlier approach than arrivals at HKG, where passengers have to wait at HKIA, and leave only after the results are released.)

Then the announcement came on Saturday evening that it would be deferred for a fortnight.

Meanwhile SQ is giving full refund to passengers who now opt not to travel due to the deferment of ATB. But have not heard if CX is doing the same.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Meanwhile SQ is giving full refund to passengers who now opt not to travel due to the deferment of ATB. But have not heard if CX is doing the same.
CX is doing the same and mentioned in their FAQ for the travel bubble

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...bble-faqs.html

The Air Travel Bubble has been postponed for two weeks. I’ve booked the first flight out of Hong Kong on 22 November. What are my options?

If you’re booked onto our inaugural travel bubble flight CX759 on 22 November, your flight has been cancelled. You have the option to change or cancel your booking, free of charge:​
  • You can request a full refund of your ticket. To arrange this, please call our customer care team or your travel agent. ​
  • You can exchange your ticket for Cathay Credits. You may swap your ticket for Cathay Credits, which can be used to book a new trip when it best suits you.​
  • You can change your ticket to a new flight. If you still wish to travel to Singapore, we will be operating non-Air Travel Bubble flights on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays in the coming two weeks. You may call our customer care team or your travel agent to rebook onto one of these non-bubble flights. Please note that normal quarantine rules will apply.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 7:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by patrickw
CX is doing the same and mentioned in their FAQ for the travel bubble

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...bble-faqs.html
Having given them a call today they are enforcing the "same booking class or pay an upgraded fee" concept, as such they wanted to charge me another 10k per person (original ticket was only 12k), and there is no I class availability at all in December, sigh. I've decided to leave it for a bit and see what happens and whether they improve the rules. Not very customer friendly to cancel the flight (which they have done, I'm on a new flight number) and refuse to rebook into the same class.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by littlevoices
Having given them a call today they are enforcing the "same booking class or pay an upgraded fee" concept, as such they wanted to charge me another 10k per person (original ticket was only 12k), and there is no I class availability at all in December, sigh. I've decided to leave it for a bit and see what happens and whether they improve the rules. Not very customer friendly to cancel the flight (which they have done, I'm on a new flight number) and refuse to rebook into the same class.
Well you can cancel, back into original form of payment.

So you’re trying to hold CX to their original fare for a future bubble flight - that’s harder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.