CX meal logic on long haul flights

Old Oct 11, 20, 9:41 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 23
CX meal logic on long haul flights

Hi everyone, by "logic" I mean how CX decide what type of meals to be served (breakfast/brunch/dinner/supper) on a long haul flight. Is it based on time of the origin or time of the destination?

For the 1st meal seems it's based on time of the origin (midnight flights-supper, late-afternoon/evening flights-dinner, late morning to early afternoon departures-lunch).
For the 2nd meal I can't quite comprehend its logic. For Europe flights departing from Hong Kong which arrive at Europe in the morning, breakfast is served, so it seems that the 2nd meal is served based on time of destination. But for some flights arriving Hong Kong in the evening (such as CX885, arriving HKG at 18:55, *10 of following thread: flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/2002064-cx-j-menus-2020-a.html), breakfast is served as the 2nd meal.

Additionally, I recently read 2 flight reports on CX825 (approx. YYZ1415 – 1855+1HKG). The first one, in which the writer travelled in June 2018, lunch and dinner were served.
(travelupdate.com/cathay-pacific-business-class-777-300er-toronto-hong-kong/)
However, on the Jan 2020 flight, lunch and breakfast were served instead. (travelupdate.com/review-cathay-pacific-business-class-a350-1000-toronto-to-hong-kong/)

So is it because after they introduced new catering for J class in 2018, CX just don't wanna serve us 2 full meals in one single flight, thus you would always get one breakfast or brunch regardless of your departure and arrival time? I hope I'm mistaken but it does seem quite cheap for CX to think this way...
VE105 is offline  
Old Oct 11, 20, 10:51 am
  #2  
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Posts: 16,828
Originally Posted by VE105 View Post
For the 1st meal seems it's based on time of the origin (midnight flights-supper, late-afternoon/evening flights-dinner, late morning to early afternoon departures-lunch).
For the 2nd meal I can't quite comprehend its logic. For Europe flights departing from Hong Kong which arrive at Europe in the morning, breakfast is served, so it seems that the 2nd meal is served based on time of destination. But for some flights arriving Hong Kong in the evening (such as CX885, arriving HKG at 18:55, *10 of following thread: flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/2002064-cx-j-menus-2020-a.html), breakfast is served as the 2nd meal.

Additionally, I recently read 2 flight reports on CX825 (approx. YYZ1415 – 1855+1HKG). The first one, in which the writer travelled in June 2018, lunch and dinner were served.
(travelupdate.com/cathay-pacific-business-class-777-300er-toronto-hong-kong/)
However, on the Jan 2020 flight, lunch and breakfast were served instead. (travelupdate.com/review-cathay-pacific-business-class-a350-1000-toronto-to-hong-kong/)
They always try to make the second meal breakfast unless you didn't change time zones (e.g. afternoon departure Australia/New Zealand). Cost issue?
percysmith is offline  
Old Oct 11, 20, 7:01 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anywhere
Posts: 4,132
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
They always try to make the second meal breakfast unless you didn't change time zones (e.g. afternoon departure Australia/New Zealand). Cost issue?
Highly suspect so as it's definitely cheaper to serve breakfast than lunch or dinner - no need for alcohol, if anything else.

I'd say it's the same practice of other airlines as well... BA, SQ, etc.
carrotjuice is offline  
Old Oct 11, 20, 8:18 pm
  #4  
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Posts: 16,828
Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
Highly suspect so as it's definitely cheaper to serve breakfast than lunch or dinner - no need for alcohol, if anything else.

I'd say it's the same practice of other airlines as well... BA, SQ, etc.
More crew effort, less catering costs - same motivation as Die On Demand.

HK night-Europe morning: Supper + Snack + Breakfast makes sense
West coast night-HK morning: Supper + Snack + Breakfast makes similar sense
Europe late morning-HK morning: Big lunch + Big breakfast argurably makes sense
HK night-West coast night: Supper + Snack + Breakfast, to land at 8 at night?!
HarbourGent likes this.

Last edited by percysmith; Oct 11, 20 at 8:29 pm
percysmith is offline  
Old Oct 11, 20, 10:36 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: LAX
Posts: 9,638

20150609 195720
azepine00 is offline  
Old Oct 11, 20, 11:41 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anywhere
Posts: 4,132
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
More crew effort, less catering costs - same motivation as Die On Demand.
Did you have a typo - or was that a Freudian slip?!
carrotjuice is offline  
Old Oct 11, 20, 11:50 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anywhere
Posts: 4,132
And when I take BA flights where LHR night departure, SIN late afternoon arrival, it's always dinner + breakfast?!

Not that I'm complaining, their "breakfast" congee is actually rather tasty.

Last edited by carrotjuice; Oct 12, 20 at 12:20 am
carrotjuice is offline  
Old Oct 12, 20, 12:11 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Posts: 727
Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
Die On Demand Did you have a typo - or was that a Freudian slip?!
Isn't that the name of the new James Bond movie, with MPC as the evil organisation replacing SPECTRE?
HarbourGent and infinitium like this.
Nicc HK is offline  
Old Oct 12, 20, 12:21 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anywhere
Posts: 4,132
Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post

20150609 195720
Haha. Until then, starve, or help yourselves to as many packs of nuts as you'd please...
carrotjuice is offline  
Old Oct 12, 20, 7:34 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Programs: Alaska
Posts: 1,220
Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post

20150609 195720
timezone difference included?
freed0m is offline  
Old Oct 12, 20, 11:45 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: MNL
Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 2,223
I remember last 2019 I flew to ORD, the crew decided to serve breakfast around 7 hours before landing...I wanted to have a snack instead, but CX decided to load only beef snacks (burger and beef hofan) for the flight and I don't take beef.
FlyPointyEnd is offline  
Old Oct 13, 20, 5:54 am
  #12  
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Posts: 16,828
Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
Did you have a typo - or was that a Freudian slip?!
Originally Posted by Nicc HK View Post
Isn't that the name of the new James Bond movie, with MPC as the evil organisation replacing SPECTRE?
Wasn’t original

percysmith is offline  
Old Oct 13, 20, 6:17 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Posts: 727
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
Wasn’t original
I am not on Facebook nor do I use it.
Nicc HK is offline  
Old Oct 13, 20, 8:36 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: HKG SZX
Programs: A3 *G, CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)
Posts: 477
Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
Haha. Until then, starve, or help yourselves to as many packs of nuts as you'd please...
Cup noodles to the rescue! 🤭🤭
royng is offline  
Old Oct 14, 20, 12:40 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: YYZ
Programs: CX MPC GO, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Radisson Gold, IHG Spire
Posts: 297
Reference this thread for mid-flight meals on some flights.

[Meal times and] Transpacific service on CX on J
etkuo is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: