Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Asia Miles extension -- does redeeming and canceling "reset" the expiry clock?

Asia Miles extension -- does redeeming and canceling "reset" the expiry clock?

Old Oct 31, 2020, 10:20 am

Programs: SE 100K
Similar situation to the OP + had the same idea but seems that isn't possible...

So is there no way to extend the expiry date on miles expiring Jan 31st, 2021 ?
Does making one (small) purchase on the Asia Miles store reset it?
Earning Asia Miles via new credit card sign up / points?

Appreciate any advice...
Old Nov 1, 2020, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by tfung
I guess you can redeem items from the asiamiles shop...
Originally Posted by Iamhappy
I like the idea as it means we won't have to shell out for taxes & other charges
Be careful with the shopping portal in Asiamiles for taxes and extra shipping outside of HK.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 5:50 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Similar situation to the OP + had the same idea but seems that isn't possible...

So is there no way to extend the expiry date on miles expiring Jan 31st, 2021 ?
Does making one (small) purchase on the Asia Miles store reset it?
Earning Asia Miles via new credit card sign up / points?

Appreciate any advice...
One of the earlier posters indicated that if you cancel the award 'after' the miles have expired, they will give a curtesy 12mth extension (even though its not in the T&C). So it seems to me that would work, especially if the flight is cancelled, but it seems you could pay $120 to cancel otherwise.

Anyone able to report if there have been cases where they have not done this extension, especially non-status members (I may need to avail of it next year) ?
Old Nov 2, 2020, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by soy
One of the earlier posters indicated that if you cancel the award 'after' the miles have expired, they will give a curtesy 12mth extension (even though its not in the T&C). So it seems to me that would work, especially if the flight is cancelled, but it seems you could pay $120 to cancel otherwise.

Anyone able to report if there have been cases where they have not done this extension, especially non-status members (I may need to avail of it next year) ?
I am non-status and it worked just as expected. I cancelled one trip using 12k AM not $120 USD (not a great use of points but given the circumstances I'd rather burn AM vs USD right now) and miles were given a 12 months extension from their original expiration date. Second, cancellation I got for free as a courtesy from AM due to schedule change. Also taxes/fees were back rather quick (about a week).
soy likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 3:26 pm

Just wish to check... that AM policy of giving "one year goodwill extension" to expiring miles applies, regardless if the cancelled flight is CX or partners, yeah?
Old Nov 22, 2020, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Just wish to check... that AM policy of giving "one year goodwill extension" to expiring miles applies, regardless if the cancelled flight is CX or partners, yeah?
I doesn't matter partner or CX metal. I got my extensions and it was all partner metal.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 5:52 am

Question

So what do we make of this post from the Asia Miles website?! Does this only apply to the award bookings made BEFORE 23rd of March 2020?!

Old Nov 30, 2020, 6:31 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by timesnaps
So what do we make of this post from the Asia Miles website?! Does this only apply to the award bookings made BEFORE 23rd of March 2020?!
Unfortunately correct.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 12:52 pm

Exclamation

Well, I have been given a 'goodwill measure extension on my expiring miles of ..... (drumm roll!).... one week!
Can anyone recommend a good route (thats likely getting cancelled) where I can invest 18.000-25.000 miles and have a bare minimum of fees/taxes to pay? (ideally in Europe or ex HKG)
Old Dec 2, 2020, 2:16 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
CX161/162 5 Apr....
Old Dec 5, 2020, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
CX161/162 5 Apr....
Oh, any reason for those flights and dates?
Surely that flight would be needing a lot more than 25k miles.... even in economy.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by timesnaps
Oh, any reason for those flights and dates?
Surely that flight would be needing a lot more than 25k miles.... even in economy.
Cos QF doesnt see Aus open borders til 2H 2021 https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...cond-half-2021

If Aus opens borders, CX can sustain >1 passenger flight a day.
If Aus does not, CX consolidates flights even if it presently lets you book on them.

Flight consolidation happens CX101 (prime flight)<CX139<CX111<=CX161.
Once CX consolidates flights, you have an IATA-assured right to cancel and you can trigger a clock reset.

So CX161s great for engineering flight cancellation and clock reset. Ive done two engineer jobs on CX161 and one more is awaiting cancellation.

You can commit more miles than you need for the clock reset. The excess miles come back with original expiry.
If the engineering fails, youre out of US$120/12,000 miles per ticket anyway max - youll still get your clock reset.
milypan and soy like this.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 12:49 am

Cos QF doesnt see Aus open borders til 2H 2021 ...
Once CX consolidates flights, you have an IATA-assured right to cancel and you can trigger a clock reset....

thank you for the detailed explanation. You seem to have much better knowledge of the possibilities than me. Have requested CX161 in late April as Standard Economy one way. Lets see what happens.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 8:56 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Cos QF doesnt see Aus open borders til 2H 2021 https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...cond-half-2021

If Aus opens borders, CX can sustain >1 passenger flight a day.
If Aus does not, CX consolidates flights even if it presently lets you book on them.

Once CX consolidates flights, you have an IATA-assured right to cancel and you can trigger a clock reset.

So CX161s great for engineering flight cancellation and clock reset. Ive done two engineer jobs on CX161 and one more is awaiting cancellation.

You can commit more miles than you need for the clock reset. The excess miles come back with original expiry.
If the engineering fails, youre out of US$120/12,000 miles per ticket anyway max - youll still get your clock reset.
I assume that taxes/fees at booking get refunded if there is consolidation and you cancel. Do they also get refunded if you voluntarily cancel and pay the $120 redeposit fee?
Old Dec 11, 2020, 12:12 am

Yes
Yes
milypan likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.