Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Experiences with Australia inbound restrictions and being denied your booking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences with Australia inbound restrictions and being denied your booking?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2020, 5:03 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I wasn't planning to travel and I have the old folks over here, but if anything happened to them this will be a headache.

I wonder will status as well as fare class also have any part in determining who gets axed, like pre-COVID IRROPS (great, none of my relos over there are)

(sxc I didn't know you are an Australian/have Australian PR)

Last edited by percysmith; Aug 15, 2020 at 5:10 am
Old Aug 15, 2020, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by sxc
Those who get cancelled will be angry as to why they weren’t the ones chosen to travel.
ask them to blame australia gov or NSW.
eminere likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by percysmith
I wasn't planning to travel and I have the old folks over here, but if anything happened to them this will be a headache.

I wonder will status as well as fare class also have any part in determining who gets axed, like pre-COVID IRROPS (great, none of my relos over there are)

(sxc I didn't know you are an Australian/have Australian PR)
Are you talking about CX/OW status or HK social status?
Old Aug 15, 2020, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
Are you talking about CX/OW status or HK social status?
Well let's just say true members of the latter group can get a call in to Augustus Tang to have someone else bumped (I'm thinking the Prologue of Rich People's Problems) so only members of the former group who are not members of the latter.

(I have a similar theory about Paypal and HSBC AML https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post32584635 - if HSBC wants to shut down big Paypal users, Noel Quinn may be forced to take some calls that he wouldn't want to take).
Old Aug 15, 2020, 11:36 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by sxc
Those who get cancelled will be angry as to why they weren’t the ones chosen to travel.
My comment was in regards to selling routes that aren't allowed yet to border restrictions. if the entire flight is cancelled, and no other flights are available, the airline refunds but at least had that cash for a while.

Overbooking and denying boarding for flights that ARE operating is a completely different situation.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by sxc
CX is also strangely selling flights to SYD with connections via other australian cities (eg MEL). Current immigration rules require you to quarantine in your city of entry and you can’t transit to another city before quarantining.
CX should watch it or risk getting fined by Australia
Old Aug 28, 2020, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Off topic a little (Qatar flights) QR has been/is the airline with the most flights to Australia (BNE SYD ADL)
28 Aug [news.com.au]----> Melbourne man stranded in UK after father died of COVID-19
<snip>
There are believed to be about 18,000 Australians stuck in various places around the world who are still struggling to come home due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
<snip>
Mr Williams said when his early August flight was cancelled, an operator at the Australian consulate in London said to contact his airline.

Qatar Airways suggested the “solution” of buying a business class ticket on the next available flight on August 23 for well over $6000, or keep his economy airfare for a month away.
<snip>

In a statement on Friday, Qatar Airways said: “With the recent extension of restrictions until late-October, Qatar Airways can only transport a maximum of approximately 4500 passengers during this time.”

The airline said it is allowed to repatriate 30 to 50 passengers to Sydney, 40 to 45 to Perth, 25 to Brisbane and 60 to Adelaide each day.

“As a result, every day hundreds of people are advised that they cannot be accommodated on their booked flight and need to be rebooked for a later date where there may be availability,” the statement reads.

“To further limit the impact of the restrictions, the airline has already stopped accepting any new bookings for flights to Australia until the current passenger cap is relaxed.”
<snip>
If QR had still been taking new reservations (including Bus class) for flights after the date when the AU Government restrictions were announced (13 July) is unknown. Probably "yes". But the people in the various news reports do not state when they made the reservation and the date of the flight

edit
29 Aug [Guardian UK] --> Airlines warn flying back 100,000 stranded Australians will take six months unless travel caps eased]

IMHO unlikely to be a big change in the number allowed back (~hotel quarantine capacity). Will improve if/when Victoria gets Covid-19 under control. That looking to be a month away at best

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Aug 29, 2020 at 2:41 pm
Old Aug 29, 2020, 3:54 am

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocea...l#post32637663

Given this is the CX forum, I do not wish to repeat non-CX specific observations I made there.
QR did not (say they will) consider frequent flyer status, but no idea whether this is the same for CX.

However for this thread I am just wondering is HKG still a viable transit port for Europe-Australia traffic? Australians can still transit HKG provided their tickets to and from HKG are on one PNR, and they don't overnight?
Old Aug 29, 2020, 5:29 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I would hope that if you are on a Europe originating flight to Australia that CX would cancel your ticket before you leave Europe and not leave you stranded in HKG.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 8:07 am

I think they make the cancellations before any connections can board their flights, at least from the QR experience:

"Australian family Emma Young, her husband and their two daughters Amelia, three and Georgia, eight months, booked to return to Brisbane immediately new flights became available on Qatar Airlines several months ago and they gave notice on their London property and sorted accommodation in Brisbane.

As late as Sunday their seats were confirmed, but yesterday they received a call from Qatar Airlines, bumping them off its just over a day’s notice and without any offer of a possible alternative flight.

By the time they received the call, the family had already had had their furniture collected by removalists, and their two cats had been picked up and are now en route to Australia on a cargo flight. When The Australian contacted them in the hour before they were being made homeless the family was desperately calling airlines, sitting on a small blow up air bed in the empty lounge room.

“I just don’t know what we will do if we can’t get on the flight, we are out of the house as of lunchtime and have booked a hotel room for tonight, but then what do we do?’’, Mrs Young said."

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/wor...4f234d42235f2f
Old Aug 30, 2020, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Off topic a little (Qatar flights) QR has been/is the airline with the most flights to Australia (BNE SYD ADL)
28 Aug [news.com.au]----> Melbourne man stranded in UK after father died of COVID-19

If QR had still been taking new reservations (including Bus class) for flights after the date when the AU Government restrictions were announced (13 July) is unknown. Probably "yes". But the people in the various news reports do not state when they made the reservation and the date of the flight
CX has been accused of gouging also:

"On June 21, Gaussen paid $2675.78 for a one-way business-class ticket on an August 26 Cathay Pacific flight from Phuket to Sydney via Hong Kong. Then in early July, the airline suddenly cancelled his ticket by email. A few days later, he saw Cathay Pacific advertising his same business-class seat on the same flight for $9900.

After a barrage of complaints, Cathay finally backed down and on Monday the airline reissued his ticket for the original paid price of $2675.78. "They've done the decent thing now, however none of this angst was necessary," he says, adding other airlines are in on the act too."

https://www.afr.com/life-and-luxury/...0200723-p55eoe

Caveat 21:21: no flight from Phuket to Hong Kong on 26 Aug?

Last edited by percysmith; Aug 30, 2020 at 8:46 am
Old Aug 30, 2020, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
CX has been accused of scalping also:

"On June 21, Gaussen paid $2675.78 for a one-way business-class ticket on an August 26 Cathay Pacific flight from Phuket to Sydney via Hong Kong. Then in early July, the airline suddenly cancelled his ticket by email. A few days later, he saw Cathay Pacific advertising his same business-class seat on the same flight for $9900.

After a barrage of complaints, Cathay finally backed down and on Monday the airline reissued his ticket for the original paid price of $2675.78. "They've done the decent thing now, however none of this angst was necessary," he says, adding other airlines are in on the act too."

https://www.afr.com/life-and-luxury/...0200723-p55eoe

Caveat 21:21: no flight from Phuket to Hong Kong on 26 Aug?

most likely HKT-BKK-HKG-SYD. Or maybe just BKK-HKG-SYD n he bought the HKT-BKK separately.
percysmith likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 12:47 am

Another complain
suppose to fly on 6 sept but CX only inform on 3rd sept. Report in Chinese though.

https://hk.on.cc/hk/bkn/cnt/news/202...00822_001.html
Old Sep 11, 2020, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
Another complain
suppose to fly on 6 sept but CX only inform on 3rd sept. Report in Chinese though.
https://hk.on.cc/hk/bkn/cnt/news/202...00822_001.html
What date did they book the ticket?
Any changes since flight was booked (other than above)?
Old Sep 11, 2020, 3:57 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
What date did they book the ticket?
Any changes since flight was booked (other than above)?
According to the article they bought the ticket on 30 July.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.