Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Inbound to Hong Kong COVID-19 Quarantine & Restrictions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inbound to Hong Kong COVID-19 Quarantine & Restrictions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2020, 4:47 am

https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...htm?fontSize=1

"Temporary Specimen Collection Centre (TSCC) currently set up at AsiaWorld-Expo will be relocated to the Midfield Concourse located in the restricted area of Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA) on August 18 and will continue to operate there."
Old Aug 14, 2020, 9:30 pm

Programs: CX Life Time,TG,
Flights from Manila usually arrive shortly after midday. Do the passengers get fully processed the same day?
Old Aug 14, 2020, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by TomYoung
Flights from Manila usually arrive shortly after midday. Do the passengers get fully processed the same day?
It is not really going to matter. The Philippines is designated as an high risk area so even if the test proves negative all travellers including HK residents must head to an hotel and stay in the hotel room (without leaving) for 14 days mandatory quarantine. This is addition to the nucleic acid test required before boarding the inbound aircraft.

www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/high-risk-places.html
Old Aug 14, 2020, 11:56 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Nicc HK
It is not really going to matter. The Philippines is designated as an high risk area so even if the test proves negative all travellers including HK residents must head to an hotel and stay in the hotel room (without leaving) for 14 days mandatory quarantine. This is addition to the nucleic acid test required before boarding the inbound aircraft.

www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/high-risk-places.html
I think the question is whether you would have to only have to wait the 6 or so hours before going to an overnight government provided hotel while waiting the results or whether they have to wait the 12 hours at the airport before they go to their own hotel.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 11:08 pm

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...-india-charter
Hong Kong bans Air India to operate flights to HKG for two weeks, after Hong Kong detected 11 confirmed cases from one flight from New Delhi.

The Cap. 599H authorized Secretary for Food and Health to ask passengers from specific regions to have negative test reports within 72 hours before departure. Even with this requirement, 11 passengers from India are infected with COVID-19. Now the government invokes another article in Cap. 599H to ban flights from India operated by Air India.
fairhsa likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 12:56 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by Reply1984
The Cap. 599H authorized Secretary for Food and Health to ask passengers from specific regions to have negative test reports within 72 hours before departure. Even with this requirement, 11 passengers from India are infected with COVID-19. Now the government invokes another article in Cap. 599H to ban flights from India operated by Air India.
Not entirely sure how the airline is at fault if people presumably either fake their PCR test results, or catch COVID between the test and the flight - I thought the test wasn't sensitive enough to catch if you had it on the flight. Either way, will reduce the flow from India which seems to have been a general aim of both governments anyway. When you look at the website there is a definite pattern that Air India flights have a much higher number of cases on average than the one or two per flight otherwise listed - and randomly around the plane - it isn't like it is one family travelling together: https://www.chp.gov.hk/files/pdf/flights_trains_en.pdf
Old Aug 18, 2020, 3:07 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by littlevoices
Not entirely sure how the airline is at fault if people presumably either fake their PCR test results, or catch COVID between the test and the flight - I thought the test wasn't sensitive enough to catch if you had it on the flight. Either way, will reduce the flow from India which seems to have been a general aim of both governments anyway. When you look at the website there is a definite pattern that Air India flights have a much higher number of cases on average than the one or two per flight otherwise listed - and randomly around the plane - it isn't like it is one family travelling together: https://www.chp.gov.hk/files/pdf/flights_trains_en.pdf
Which doesn't surprise me, in India, you can buy whatever official document you want.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 10:51 pm

Programs: All of Them
Anyone in NY gone through this process?

Thinking of booking JFK - HKG soon

Has anybody in NY gone through this process, and recommend a clinic / lab / healthcare provider since it's not likely a CityMD would be able to meet their 72 hour turnaround and lab certificate and their song and dance
Old Sep 16, 2020, 1:38 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Antigen yes Brief Report: ANA in F "The Suite" during Covid
But not the PCR/nucleic acid test HK is asking for
Old Sep 16, 2020, 8:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by bl540611
Thinking of booking JFK - HKG soon

Has anybody in NY gone through this process, and recommend a clinic / lab / healthcare provider since it's not likely a CityMD would be able to meet their 72 hour turnaround and lab certificate and their song and dance
I live in NYC. Last month I had a Rapid PCR COVID-19 test done through AdvantageCare Physicians. I received my results the next hour. My health insurance covered testing completely. I only had to pay a co-pay for the virtual doc visit which is needed to get the test. The test is only available by appt. There are quite a few locations in NYC. I went to their medical center that is in Forest Hills, Queens. Easy and painless. The testing process took seconds
percysmith likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 1:30 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Cathay has now (finally?) published details of how landing in HKG works:

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ng-in-hkg.html
Old Sep 18, 2020, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Anyone knows the criteria for inclusion in the list of "high-risk" countries?
The covid situation is evolving; for example Europe is seeing a surge. Any indication on whether new countries are being planned to be added. What was the delay between the announcement and the actual enforcement?
I am considering advancing my flight to Hong Kong just in case
Many thanks

Last edited by brunos; Sep 18, 2020 at 3:19 am
Old Sep 18, 2020, 3:19 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by brunos
Anyone knows the criteria for inclusion in the list of "high-risk" countries?
Not sure but reference the worse existing countries on the list.

The covid situation is evolving; for example Europe is seeing a surge. Any indication on whether new countries are being planned to be added.
If it gets in the news, or someone points it out in an editorial, it gets included.

What was the delay between the announcement and the actual enforcement?
None (reference USA example. HKSARG anxious to be seen not to "allow loophole")
Old Sep 18, 2020, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by sxc
Cathay has now (finally?) published details of how landing in HKG works: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/covid-19/arriving-in-hkg.html
Having gone through the process last week, CX provides a pretty accurate summation. The organisational set up was meticulous and staff helpful, except one poor lady who was getting fed up with telling everyone that they had bagged their samples incorrectly. Probably because the available explanation is appallingly opaque.

I was on BA31 which arrived just after 13 00. I completed the testing before being sent to the gate holding area 45 minutes from disembarkation. A Cebu Pacific flight landed after 14 00 and passengers from both these planes were accommodated in the mid-course terminal.

Each flight is allocated its own specific gate and each individual passenger their own personal numbered seat. Walking around is allowed but fraternisation discouraged.

The results for both flights came through about the same time at 21 00 which meant the shuttles to immigration boarded BA and 5J passengers together
Old Sep 18, 2020, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Nicc HK
I was on BA31 which arrived just after 13 00. I completed the testing before being sent to the gate holding area 45 minutes from disembarkation. A Cebu Pacific flight landed after 14 00 and passengers from both these planes were accommodated in the mid-course terminal.

Each flight is allocated its own specific gate and each individual passenger their own personal numbered seat. Walking around is allowed but fraternisation discouraged.

The results for both flights came through about the same time at 21 00 which meant the shuttles to immigration boarded BA and 5J passengers together
I thought according to the Cathay website that if you landed after noon then you would await your results in the Dorsett rather than at the airport?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.