Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Inbound to Hong Kong COVID-19 Quarantine & Restrictions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inbound to Hong Kong COVID-19 Quarantine & Restrictions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2020, 1:32 am

It was reported over 20 paxes were denied boarding at SFO on 3/8 due to some incomplete wording on the test certificate.

The cert mention nucleic test instead of nucleic acid test.

https://hk.on.cc/hk/bkn/cnt/news/202...00822_001.html
Old Aug 6, 2020, 6:10 am

According to Cathay, which now seems to be in charge of implementing the rules, "For passengers travelling from the United States, a copy of a ‘Certificate of Accreditation’ issued by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) program is acceptable" to meet the requirement of a government document certifying the lab.

Just a photocopy will do?

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...trictions.html

EDIT: Here's what that certificate looks like. Obviously you're not going to get an original from CMS.

https://www.cta-lab.com/images/CLIA-2019-001.jpg

Last edited by 889; Aug 6, 2020 at 10:38 pm
Old Aug 6, 2020, 7:25 am

Those paxes who were denied boarding at SFO a few day ago have ask CX to bear the cost of retesting. But CX have refused to bear.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 11:12 pm

Why isn't Cathay just executing the test themselves? It would seem more efficient (and certainly more pleasant from the customer service perspective) to just buy one or two high-throughput machines and keep them at LAX, SFO, DEL, etc. Add a 200 USD service surcharge and tell passengers to arrive 4 hours before departure. Even after the COVID panic is exhausted, the public's demand for quick testing of other viruses (e.g. influenza) prior to long-haul flying is likely to remain strong.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 4:26 pm

I'm pretty sure that Federal regulations and probably airport rules make setting up a lab at the airport in short order difficult.

And note that HK will not accept rapid-test results; they want the gold-standard PCR test, which by its nature takes a few hours to process.

Indeed, it's acceptance of the rapid test which would change the ball-game.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 6:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by 889
There are several reports that everyone headed to HK on the CX flight from JFK this week -- over a 100 people -- were denied boarding because their health documents were not in order. The requirement for some sort of government document certifying the authority of the lab which took the test is not practically available in the U.S. Nor are lab results with your passport number printed on them.

All the Government/CX will tell you are the required documents. The don't tell HOW to get them, which is the critical problem.

So reports in this thread from travellers who know first-hand what works and what doesn't work and where to get the paperwork done would be very valuable.
My friend was on one of those flights. He said of the 100+ people that show up, only 2 (including himself) finally got onboard with the proper documentations, all the others got sent home. Not sure how CX can sustain itself if that is going to be the case.

I've talked to my friend on how he got everything in order, this is his reply:

1) Get the hotel to send you a letter that says they have confirmed you have booking for 14 days starting date of arrival. A printout of reservation yourself or showing your reservation on the hotel app itself will NOT be accepted.

2) The test for COVID19 must be worded the exact way the HK Government wants: "COVID19 nuclei test" something like that, he said go check the government website for exact wording and get the lab to amend the report to show that exact wording.

3) The doctor must sign and the hospital must seal the test report itself, missing either and the airlines will NOT accept it.

4) A copy of CLIA is a must, without it you will NOT board.

And it took him 2 tries to get on board.
Cryofern likes this.

Last edited by Cathay Dragon 666; Aug 7, 2020 at 6:21 pm
Old Aug 7, 2020, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
My friend was on one of those flights. He said of the 100+ people that show up, only 2 (including himself) finally got onboard with the proper documentations, all the others got sent home. Not sure how CX can sustain itself if that is going to be the case.

I've talked to my friend on how he got everything in order, this is his reply:

1) Get the hotel to send you a letter that says they have confirmed you have booking for 14 days starting date of arrival. A printout of reservation yourself or showing your reservation on the hotel app itself will NOT be accepted.

2) The test for COVID19 must be worded the exact way the HK Government wants: "COVID19 nuclei test" something like that, he said go check the government website for exact wording and get the lab to amend the report to show that exact wording.

3) The doctor must sign and the hospital must seal the test report itself, missing either and the airlines will NOT accept it.

4) A copy of CLIA is a must, without it you will NOT board.

And it took him 2 tries to get on board.

Thank you for the insightful information. How was your friend able to get the test results within the required 72 hour timeframe? I have called many doctors and testing Centers in NY and none can provide the test results so quickly. Normally they say 5 days up to 2 weeks.

To be practical you need the test results probably within 48 hours to be able to make a flight within 72 hours.

would appreciate any guidance on how to find a place to get test results and all the paperwork so quickly? I have not found such a place in NY yet

thank you!
Old Aug 9, 2020, 1:30 am

After tons of complaints about strict document requirements, it is reported that CX partially relaxed requirements for wording:
https://hk.on.cc/hk/bkn/cnt/news/202...00822_001.html
Previously, CX only accepted the test reports with the words of "Nucleic Acid Test", while one passenger got disqualified by CX since his report said the test was a "Nucleic Test". CX has relaxed this rule after consultation with the HK government.

Meanwhile, the HK government also relaxed requirements for documents, "to simplify relevant conditions having regard to the circumstances on the ground":
https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...htm?fontSize=1
https://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/h...sk-places.html
This relaxation also includes requirements for virus test reports.

Last edited by Reply1984; Aug 9, 2020 at 1:42 am
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:25 am

Programs: CX Marco Polo
HK Asia World Expo testing

Hi Guys,

Planning to fly back to HK via LHR on CX arriving in the AM. Just want to see if anyone has gone through the Asia world expo procedures upon arrival and if there are any tips to share?

Cheers!
Old Aug 12, 2020, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by MMB01
Planning to fly back to HK via LHR on CX arriving in the AM. Just want to see if anyone has gone through the Asia world expo procedures upon arrival and if there are any tips to share?
YouTube.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 1:11 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
There is an excellent facebook group (Quarantine HK or similar) that brings it to life and offers loads of experiences. Went through the process earlier in the week (arriving about midnight on QR). Key tips: Be on a quiet flight, first off the plane##, fill in the Health Form online and download the quarantine app in advance so you have a QR code, then just be prepared for it to be inefficient.

##Doesn't make it any quicker really, but means you get to sitting down more quickly to chill, whilst you wait for everyone else

Last edited by littlevoices; Aug 12, 2020 at 1:22 am
Old Aug 12, 2020, 1:38 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Hi Guys,

Cheers!
I know someone who arrived on this flight on Monday morning this week. They had to wait for their results for 12+ hours with no option of going to the hotel to wait.

Make sure you have food with you as they only provide a bad sandwich, and bring a battery pack as there are no charging facilities. And something warm to wear as the airconditioning is at full blast.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 1:45 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by sxc
I know someone who arrived on this flight on Monday morning this week. They had to wait for their results for 12+ hours.
If only they'd arrived at midnight (0005 Monday was my arrival time), seems to be a bit of a sweet spot as they feel obliged to give you a hotel: Landed 15 minutes early; At AWE by around 1am; Walking around many times/testing done by 2am, 2.30am given hotel room / left AWE; 3am at the hotel; 2pm check-out of hotel after the negative result...

(Means most of the waiting time is spent sleeping if you wish / trying to avoid jetlag)
Old Aug 12, 2020, 1:46 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Hi Guys,

Cheers!
Bring some food and drinks that you'd want to eat with you as you will be there for a while! They only provide sandwich and water. Some pax were more prepared with a set up of tent and air mattress to make themselves more comfortable. They did provide yoga mat as I managed to grab one before it ran out. FYI my LAX flight landed at 6am and I didn't leave the Expo until 8pm. My flight was very busy so it was the last flight being released among the morning arrival batch. Please note that they release the test result flight by flight so the busier your flight the longer the wait (I presumed) as it would take longer for all your fellow pax to complete all the necessary custom and quarantine procedure. My cousin who flew back from London also has similar experience; he waited at Expo for 12 hours before being released.

Good luck!
Old Aug 12, 2020, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
Please note that they release the test result flight by flight so the busier your flight the longer the wait (I presumed) as it would take longer for all your fellow pax to complete all the necessary custom and quarantine procedure!
Makes sense. If they release the passengers one by one then if the last one tests positive, they would have to bring all the other passengers back and test the people they had been in contact with.

The information on waiting is useful. If when I next go away and return will make sure I have some food, water, and a good book for my sojourn at the Expo Centre,
Cryofern likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.