Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Inbound to Hong Kong COVID-19 Quarantine & Restrictions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inbound to Hong Kong COVID-19 Quarantine & Restrictions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2020, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
My phone conversation with the hotline confirms this applies to everyone.

What I am puzzled is why a Hong Kong resident can't return to his/her home for quarantine.
All high-risk arrivals were put in dedicated quarantine centers. They decided to have them go to hotels instead to free up space for locals (contacts of infected cases).
This is the Australian method. You are not supposed to go out of your room at all. No visits allowed. Food left at the door. How hotels are enforcing it is another question.
This started with filipina maids having to stay in hotels paid by employers to avoid family contamination. It has been extended to all arrivals from high-risk countries. Stay home is more risky because of visits and family contamination.

One reason why test wait is longer at the airport is that all airline crews arriving (staying) in the city are now tested on arrival. That includes cargo flights. Severla cabin crews have already tested positive. Many airlines Also labs are now overwhelmed due to the third wave.

Last edited by brunos; Jul 31, 2020 at 2:17 am
Old Jul 31, 2020, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by brunos
They decided to have them go to hotels instead to free up space for locals (contacts of infected cases).
Why a local need to cough the money? That's my real question.

FWIW - I would rather choose Stanley Prison over a hotel that I have to book myself.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 4:37 am

"Why a local need to cough the money? That's my real question."

No, the real question is why should Hong Kong taxpayers front the money for your hotel quarantine when most are stuck in the city, not gallivanting around the world.

Actually, the better question is whether a 14-day quarantine is needed for travellers who've both passed a pre-travel test and a test on arrival. By now, tens of thousands of travellers have been tested on arrival, then spent two weeks in quarantine. The Government has statistics that'd tell us how many of those, or their family members, ended up in hospital, and on what day of the quarantine did symptoms develop. Let's see the numbers and judge for ourselves whether 14 days' isolation is needed.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 7:10 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Just a thought - if anyone is arriving at HKG soon, I suggest using TIMATIC (https://www.traveldoc.aero/) to check what you need to avoid being denied boarding.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 7:47 am

Why a local need to cough the money?
For the safety of your family members. For the public health of Hong Kong.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 8:10 am

"I suggest using TIMATIC (https://www.traveldoc.aero/)."

That's not Timatic! It's a competing service.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 11:24 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by 889
"I suggest using TIMATIC (https://www.traveldoc.aero/)."

That's not Timatic! It's a competing service.
Whoops, that's what came up when I searched Timatic
Old Jul 31, 2020, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by realgaga
Whoops, that's what came up when I searched Timatic
Looks like they are getting their money's worth of keyword advertising from "G".
Old Jul 31, 2020, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Reply1984
For the safety of your family members.
Some people live away from their family members.

Originally Posted by Reply1984
For the public health of Hong Kong.
This is exactly why the Government should cough up the money.

I am not rejecting the idea of quarantine. But why a private hotel paid by the resident?
Old Jul 31, 2020, 3:36 pm

Honestly, the Government is letting poor elderly people live packed like sardines in open cages during an epidemic that especially hits the old, while thousands of hotel rooms lie vacant.

And you think the Government should provide hotel rooms for ID-card holders winging their way back from New York or LA, wingers for whom an $8,000 quarantine package is a mere blip in their budgets.

That's unreal.
tentseller likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 889
Honestly, the Government is letting poor elderly people live packed like sardines in open cages during an epidemic that especially hits the old, while thousands of hotel rooms lie vacant.

And you think the Government should provide hotel rooms for ID-card holders winging their way back from New York or LA, wingers for whom an $8,000 quarantine package is a mere blip in their budgets.

That's unreal.
I did not say any of what you just said. In fact - I merely raise the question about the unavailability of home quarantine, as well as how ridiculous that one has to pay for a hotel even having a home. Instead, you are bringing social matters into an unrelated discussion. I have indeed said I would prefer Stanley Prison than a hotel.

Without going OT, my bottom line comment is HKSAR Government is the worst in handling everything. Period. This includes the acquisition of CX's equity.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 4:15 pm

"Why a local need to cough the money? That's my real question."

I took that as a rhetorical question, that is, a statement of opinion in the form of a question.

But if you don't in fact believe the Government should be providing hotel rooms for those flying in from the U.S., then we're on the same page.
Fly Me To The Moon likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 8:33 pm

Programs: CX, BA
I did not say any of what you just said. In fact - I merely raise the question about the unavailability of home quarantine, as well as how ridiculous that one has to pay for a hotel even having a home. Instead, you are bringing social matters into an unrelated discussion. I have indeed said I would prefer Stanley Prison than a hotel.

Without going OT, my bottom line comment is HKSAR Government is the worst in handling everything. Period. This includes the acquisition of CX's equity.
I feel that each country has to decide individual quarantine as the best for it's own unique circumstances. Living in extremely close proximity such as HK, will produce different requirements compared to many other countries.
If a straw poll was held regarding peoples opinion of their 'home country' method of handling the virus, I would suspect that nearly every citizen would be critical of the local decisions, whilst admiring the actions of some other governments.
From around the world there are very few governments that have or will come through this pandemic with merit.
However, now is not the time to enforce personal bitterness at other political events running concurrently during this time.
As for Governments financially supporting it's own National Airline either through loans / gifts / shareholding? Without this help globally, there would be very few airlines continuing to fly when the spread of the virus is controllable.
It would make FT a rather boring forum!!!
But maybe this is your thoughts
Old Jul 31, 2020, 9:24 pm

Programs: CX Gold
I would like to invite you to come and live here in the Philippines, and maybe you would be all praises to HKSAR Gov.
tentseller and happychic like this.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 889
I took that as a rhetorical question, that is, a statement of opinion in the form of a question.
It is indeed rhetorical. When I made the inquiry, I used some "beautiful" phrases criticizing the Government's wisdom, which I was promptly referred to the FHB, which literally no one can explain why (Honestly - the Bureau's Secretary never explains in any circumstances).

Originally Posted by EMIC
I feel that each country has to decide individual quarantine as the best for it's own unique circumstances. Living in extremely close proximity such as HK, will produce different requirements compared to many other countries.
True. But why some can do quarantine at home and some can't?

Originally Posted by EMIC
As for Governments financially supporting...
I am not objecting the financial support. Instead, 1) the Government is biased for not helping those necessary, but only selective; 2) the Government can offer a loan guarantee without taking equity.

Originally Posted by 889
But if you don't in fact believe the Government should be providing hotel rooms for those flying in from the U.S., then we're on the same page.
I am in agreement for those who are not residents.
Originally Posted by boybi
I would like to invite you to come and live here in the Philippines, and maybe you would be all praises to HKSAR Gov.
I lack standing to discuss or challenge what happens in the Philippines. I am not a Filipino and I don't live in the Philippines.

One thing I believe I am entitled to discuss is I think many Filipinos have regretted its independence from the U.S.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.