Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX passenger spent 3 months at HKIA!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2020, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Really? Shouldn't precisely a lawmaker have the right to demand answers, instead of conveying pontifications, deductions and personal opinions to the press?
Not in Hong Kong.

Another case-in-point - the legislators in Hong Kong actually demanded some answers for the CX's "nationalization". But the Government refused, citing that the money does not come from the public budget. Thus no explanation is needed.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 4:09 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by garykung
Not in Hong Kong.

Another case-in-point - the legislators in Hong Kong actually demanded some answers for the CX's "nationalization". But the Government refused, citing that the money does not come from the public budget. Thus no explanation is needed.
does the government have money which does not belong to the public?
Old Jul 20, 2020, 4:18 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by freed0m
does the government have money which does not belong to the public?
The fund came from a government-owned pool called "The Financial Secretary Incorporated" and apparently in Hong Kong it makes it possible for the government to use the fund without LegCo approval.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 5:44 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
The fund came from a government-owned pool called "The Financial Secretary Incorporated" and apparently in Hong Kong it makes it possible for the government to use the fund without LegCo approval.
I remember the fund portrayed in Hong Kong shows, originally designed to avert financial crisis by increasing government spending without approval. Is it the same fund?
Old Jul 20, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
I remember the fund portrayed in Hong Kong shows, originally designed to avert financial crisis by increasing government spending without approval. Is it the same fund?
I'm not sure about this myself. Maybe someone else following this thread can help answer?
Old Jul 20, 2020, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
No. So back to the question - a legislator in Hong Kong is quite powerless. That's why the legislators need to rely on the media to pressure the Government and/or businesses.

It is also why CX "bribed" certain legislators to form a better relationship.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.