Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Return of Cathay First Class

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2020, 11:21 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by bloomz
Yes I looked thru the curtain always. There are usually only 4 seats up there, where my last business class in March had 40 Biz seats, (with 4 of us in them)
4 seats in the F cabin or 4 seats occupied or unoccupied? Are you on a CX plane?
eminere likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
4 seats in the F cabin or 4 seats occupied or unoccupied? Are you on a CX plane?
Both, or all three - lol

The F cabin had 4 (empty) seats, the biz had 40 with only 4 occupied and yes it is CX I'm talking about - love that airline. I've taken this route over 20 times. Yet I've still rarely seen anyone up front and the time they bumped me I was alone up there. (I didn't mind, but thought geez, wider seat for double the price - BFD)
Old Jul 4, 2020, 8:13 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Both, or all three - lol

The F cabin had 4 (empty) seats, the biz had 40 with only 4 occupied and yes it is CX I'm talking about - love that airline. I've taken this route over 20 times. Yet I've still rarely seen anyone up front and the time they bumped me I was alone up there. (I didn't mind, but thought geez, wider seat for double the price - BFD)
All CX planes that have F have 6 seats in the F cabin. This has been the case for several years.

In the past 2 decades I guess, there were aircrafts with 8, 9, 12, and 18 F seats. To my knowledge, in the past 2 decades, CX has never had any plane with an F cabin of just 4 seats.

FYI, all current CX aircrafts that have an F cabin have 53 J seats, but I guess if you only did a rough count or if you missed the forward mini cabin, you could have thought that there were only 40 seats.
QRC3288, buschoi, bloomz and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

It looks like Cathay has updated their august schedule and removed all first class from august - at least from us flights. Sept 1 & onward still shows F availability as sept hasn’t been updated yet.

interestingly, aircraft types on these routes still show 777-300er and seat maps still show f. It’s just not bookable. So perhaps they’re keeping the option value open to start running 777s in aug.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by Clearedfortravel
It looks like Cathay has updated their august schedule and removed all first class from august - at least from us flights. Sept 1 & onward still shows F availability as sept hasn’t been updated yet.

interestingly, aircraft types on these routes still show 777-300er and seat maps still show f. It’s just not bookable. So perhaps they’re keeping the option value open to start running 777s in aug.
Well, I have been downgraded from First to Business on August 1 so I guess my only option is to cancel the flight.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
All CX planes that have F have 6 seats in the F cabin. This has been the case for several years.

In the past 2 decades I guess, there were aircrafts with 8, 9, 12, and 18 F seats. To my knowledge, in the past 2 decades, CX has never had any plane with an F cabin of just 4 seats.

FYI, all current CX aircrafts that have an F cabin have 53 J seats, but I guess if you only did a rough count or if you missed the forward mini cabin, you could have thought that there were only 40 seats.
I stand corrected!

I thought the mini cabin of biz seats was behind the main one, so it shows what I know - lol

I've done Biz class over 20 times now PDX-CEB, and *thought* was paying attention, but.....

I've only gotten bumped the one time to F - but I was up there alone

Originally Posted by SFO756FO
I’ve got a late January F booking out of LAX and I am fully expecting it to downgrade to J. But truthfully being a US citizen, I’m highly doubting that we will even be allowed into S.Africa which is the final destination of my booking. So I guess all we can do is wait and see and hope for the best.
Seems we're kinda persona non grata right now, EU, Canada, even Mexico doesn't want us.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I've rode/ridden that route SFO or LAX-HGK and on to PI ~25 times and think I've *maybe* seen someone in F once or twice?

They bumped me up there once, and I was alone. It's a waste of real estate. More than 4 times the price to get a wider seat? (Listed price used to be $17,500) double miles from Biz class IIRC
Frankly, your evidence is not credible, besides the 4-seat factual error.
SFO is Tech heavy and LAX is Movie heavy. Zero F seats occupied on 24 or 23 flights out of 25 makes no sense. Besides pax paying F, lots of J pax try to use miles to upgrade or OW pax try to get F awards.
I have travelled many times in CX F in past 5 years (including SFO once), and tried the miles upgrade or award route unsuccessfully many times. It happens, but it is rare to see an empty seat..
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 9:08 am

Programs: AS MVPG
I'm working on booking summer travel for 2021. What are the odds that CX is running F to LAX and LHR in late July? (I know nobody has a crystal ball, just curious of your all predictions, assuming worldwide vaccine rollout goes fairly well and demand starts increasing by spring.)
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:38 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu
I'm working on booking summer travel for 2021. What are the odds that CX is running F to LAX and LHR in late July? (I know nobody has a crystal ball, just curious of your all predictions, assuming worldwide vaccine rollout goes fairly well and demand starts increasing by spring.)
Just FYI CX has rostered 77W with F cabin to LAX, SFO and JFK in Feb 2021 as I am currently booked on two of the flights in F already (outbound to LAX and inbound from JFK). Of course this is highly subject to change and with what has happened this year so far I won't be surprised if they swap in A350 to fly instead closer to departure date.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
Just FYI CX has rostered 77W with F cabin to LAX, SFO and JFK in Feb 2021 as I am currently booked on two of the flights in F already (outbound to LAX and inbound from JFK). Of course this is highly subject to change and with what has happened this year so far I won't be surprised if they swap in A350 to fly instead closer to departure date.
Unfortunately, I was booked in F outbound from LAX late Jan and it got swapped last week to an A350
I guess we will see how Feb ones hold up...
Old Dec 5, 2020, 3:46 pm

Any updates ex JFK? I have an F booking made recently but wondering if I should be looking at JAL instead?
Old Dec 5, 2020, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rstruthe
Any updates ex JFK? I have an F booking made recently but wondering if I should be looking at JAL instead?
Might be of more assistance if you list origin/destination/month of trvel.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by brunos
Might be of more assistance if you list origin/destination/month of trvel.
Sorry, HKG to JFK, end of April.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rstruthe
Sorry, HKG to JFK, end of April.
Frankly, no one knows, not even CX.
For the summer season (starting end-March), the full schedule with 3 daily flights, all with F, is a placeholder. Not all three will operate.
And JL schedule is no more assured. If HKG is your final destination, connection in Tokyo is currently very difficult/impossible.
CX841 is scheduled with F from February, so that is your best bet.

My own two cents. CX position is to be a premium airline. If they don't offer F to its major premium-heavy destinations (JFK, LAX, SFO, LHR..), they will destroy their image.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
Frankly, no one knows, not even CX.
For the summer season (starting end-March), the full schedule with 3 daily flights, all with F, is a placeholder. Not all three will operate.
And JL schedule is no more assured. If HKG is your final destination, connection in Tokyo is currently very difficult/impossible.
CX841 is scheduled with F from February, so that is your best bet.

My own two cents. CX position is to be a premium airline. If they don't offer F to its major premium-heavy destinations (JFK, LAX, SFO, LHR..), they will destroy their image.
Thanks for the insight. I have 844 booked right now. Will cross my fingers and hope!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.