Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Needing to cancel or at least get voucher credit for August flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2020, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold

Back in December I booked one-way flights for my family TLV/HKG/DPS as part of a major summer vacation that will not be happening because of COVID-19. The CX tickets were booked through Chase Rewards, partly paid for with Chase points. There is no sign yet of Indonesia or Israel re-opening, and I have had to make other plans. But as far as I can see, I'm stuck with my tickets because Cathay's waiver only goes up to the end of July. I've not flown Cathay in 30 years, although I'm a One World status pax with BA. Anyone got any advice they could offer me? Many thanks...
Old Jun 22, 2020, 10:13 pm

Programs: CX Gold, KE Morning Calm, Marriott Titanium
I have a set of ticket from ICN-HKG-DPS in August too and probably they will extend the waiver to end of August given the situation has not been improved much in global travel. Probably they will update in a few days and hopefully before July, so my advice is just wait for a few more days if you want to cancel the booking without penalty.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 6:42 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by DominicB
Back in December I booked one-way flights for my family TLV/HKG/DPS as part of a major summer vacation that will not be happening because of COVID-19. The CX tickets were booked through Chase Rewards, partly paid for with Chase points. There is no sign yet of Indonesia or Israel re-opening, and I have had to make other plans. But as far as I can see, I'm stuck with my tickets because Cathay's waiver only goes up to the end of July. I've not flown Cathay in 30 years, although I'm a One World status pax with BA. Anyone got any advice they could offer me? Many thanks...
Originally Posted by Rain187
I have a set of ticket from ICN-HKG-DPS in August too and probably they will extend the waiver to end of August given the situation has not been improved much in global travel. Probably they will update in a few days and hopefully before July, so my advice is just wait for a few more days if you want to cancel the booking without penalty.
I second Rain187 's advice. CX, like many other airlines, extends the waiver period bit by bit. Also, so far the schedule for Aug. hasn't been cut much yet, but the Aug. schedule will only really be reviewed in Jul. If CX cancels your flight or extends the waiver period then, you can get a free refund. I don't know how Chase processes it, though.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by DominicB
Anyone got any advice they could offer me?
DON'T DO ANYTHING NOW. Seriously. Your situation is complicated by the fact that you used UR to pay.

Once your trip is eligible for refund, follow the direction here:

https://www.chase.com/digital/resour...rip-management

This is how you should address the trip.

Also - check and see if the trip qualifies for any travel protection benefit that your Chase credit card provides, in case CX is not issuing a waiver.

DON'T CONTACT CX in this instance.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 1:50 am

Programs: MPC Gold
Not sure if this is related to paid ticket but I had a trip to NRT redeemed with AsiaMiles points for travel in August 2020. I called AsiaMiles to cancel and the customer service agent said that they extended their free cancellation (not sure if this is in general or only for redeemed tickets) up to August 2020 so I would not be penalized.

Paid tax will be credited to my card in 8 weeks
AsiaMiles points will be credited in 2-3 business days
Old Jul 2, 2020, 2:03 am

Programs: AS 75k
Looks like that CX just updated refund eligibility dates from July 31 to August 31 for tickets booked before March 23. I'm guessing quite a few of us have August tickets and were (im)patiently waiting for that.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by dmatthew
Not sure if this is related to paid ticket but I had a trip to NRT redeemed with AsiaMiles points for travel in August 2020. I called AsiaMiles to cancel and the customer service agent said that they extended their free cancellation (not sure if this is in general or only for redeemed tickets) up to August 2020 so I would not be penalized.

Originally Posted by elite.flyer.VN
Looks like that CX just updated refund eligibility dates from July 31 to August 31 for tickets booked before March 23. I'm guessing quite a few of us have August tickets and were (im)patiently waiting for that.
Yes, CX has just updated their refund policy to 31 Aug 2020
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...e/refunds.html
Old Jul 2, 2020, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
And my TLV/HKG sector just got cancelled, so I've got my refund!
Old Jul 2, 2020, 10:30 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
When trying to cancel my August tickets online, I noticed there's a cancellation fee. Called Global Contact Center in HK was told cancellation fees are charged by default if it's done online. Cancellation fee is waived when it's done manually.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by orangila
When trying to cancel my August tickets online, I noticed there's a cancellation fee. Called Global Contact Center in HK was told cancellation fees are charged by default if it's done online. Cancellation fee is waived when it's done manually.
Yeah and I just called the MPC hotline to cancel my booking in Aug and the agent confirmed that there will be no penalty. Refund will be credited to my credit card in 6-8 weeks time.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by dmatthew

The current AM guideline per https://www.asiamiles.com/en/support...rldwide-travel has not been updated and only covers "tickets issued on or before 23 March 2020," a requirement not seen in the waiver for revenue tickets. May I ask if your ticket was issued on/before or after 23MAR?

Thanks!
Old Jul 3, 2020, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
The current AM guideline per https://www.asiamiles.com/en/support...rldwide-travel has not been updated and only covers "tickets issued on or before 23 March 2020," a requirement not seen in the waiver for revenue tickets. May I ask if your ticket was issued on/before or after 23MAR?

Thanks!
My bad. The same requirement is there for revenue tickets, too, and AM just published the matching new guideline that extends the waiver period to 31AUG a few hours ago.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 3:20 am

Programs: MPC Gold
Crap sorry for the delayed response, haven't check the forums in a while.

Yes my ticket was issued on Feb 12 2020.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Med, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Rain187
Yeah and I just called the MPC hotline to cancel my booking in Aug and the agent confirmed that there will be no penalty. Refund will be credited to my credit card in 6-8 weeks time.
I have a cash PNR on CX that I need to cancel. As a non-MPC member, would it be worth it for me to join MPC to get free cancellation? The cancel fee is greater than the initial MPC fee...
Old Nov 3, 2021, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by former1k
I have a cash PNR on CX that I need to cancel. As a non-MPC member, would it be worth it for me to join MPC to get free cancellation? The cancel fee is greater than the initial MPC fee...
MPO members do not get cancellation penalty waived.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.