Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

Any idea when is HK reopening and membership holiday.

Old Jun 4, 20, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH

The travel bans seems to still be in place till goodness knows when. Does any HK based folks know of a definite date where they are going to resume letting people in without quarantine?

i currently have expiry set for May 31 2021. Assuming if I take a membership holiday now, do I have to define the end date now? And does that change my current year end date?

thanks in advance.
Old Jun 4, 20, 9:14 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy View Post
The travel bans seems to still be in place till goodness knows when. Does any HK based folks know of a definite date where they are going to resume letting people in without quarantine?

i currently have expiry set for May 31 2021. Assuming if I take a membership holiday now, do I have to define the end date now? And does that change my current year end date?

thanks in advance.
the announcement the other day was September 18 I believe.

If taking a membership holiday you need to specify the exact length which cannot be changed regardless. Whatever months you still have, it will be added after your membership holiday. So it will change your current year end date.
Old Jun 5, 20, 7:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd View Post
the announcement the other day was September 18 I believe. If taking a membership holiday you need to specify the exact length which cannot be changed regardless. Whatever months you still have, it will be added after your membership holiday. So it will change your current year end date.
Sadly, yes 18 September, but the government in its infinite wisdom said each country/territory will be reviewed in the period up to 18/09 with the potential for quarentine restrictions to be removed. More information can be found at http://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/2...0060200949.htm

The key point is the government has designated 2 types of categories for each country, with all countries coming under Category 1 initially, and in the future certain countries may be moved to Category 2. From the above weblink:

(1) A mechanism will be introduced to empower the Secretary for Food and Health (SFH) to specify two categories of places. For persons arriving from these categories of places:

(a) For Category 1 specified places, those persons will be subject to compulsory quarantine arrangements; or
(b) For Category 2 specified places, those persons will be excluded from the requirements in respect of the compulsory quarantine arrangements subject to meeting certain conditions (such as obtaining a negative COVID-19 test result).

Perhaps the government does not want visitors?

Regarding the membership holiday, mine worked this way. I have year end 31/08, so when I first took the holiday in November 2016 I took the full 12 months, so then I was only given from November 2017 to August 2018 to keep my DM. I guess if I requested the holiday just to August 2017 then I would have had the full 12 months from then to retain DM status.
Old Jun 5, 20, 10:00 pm

Is Sep 18 the absolute earliest date? Or they would reconsider as things progress along?
Old Jun 5, 20, 10:44 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by JordanWalker View Post
Is Sep 18 the absolute earliest date? Or they would reconsider as things progress along?
most likely the earliest date. Subject to what happens closer to that date.
Old Jun 6, 20, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
There are two somewhat-separate issue;
1. Entry of non-residents: There is currently an indefinite ban. A guess is that HK will first relax essential business travel with selected countries.

2. Quarantine requirements: This has been extended until 18 September. New cases in HK have been mostly imported cases in the past couple of months, with very few community cases. HK is likely to be very careful about it. Maybe a test results within 72h would suffice, assuming it is from a reliable source. There might be some gradual relaxation of quarantine before 18 September, but probably not on a wide scale given the current experience from South Asia pax (HK residents).

Air corridors (travel bubbles) are considered but no one has inside information yet.

EU seems to be in the same September time frame regarding non-EU pax.
Old Jun 6, 20, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy View Post
Not trying to be political. The only person knowing the answer is Carrie Lam.

Originally Posted by JordanWalker View Post
September 18 is a meaningless day. IIRC, Hong Kong will re-open in phases.

So at the minimum, if Hong Kong has not yet opened to Macau, that means there is nothing concrete (Note - Impacts to Macau are most economical. And opening Macau has the least political resistance.)
Old Jun 7, 20, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
HK is gradually reopening to Mainland China and relaxing its quarantine requirements, at least for some business travel:
https://www.scmp.com/business/compan...ted-firms-such
Old Jun 9, 20, 11:51 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
So at the minimum, if Hong Kong has not yet opened to Macau, that means there is nothing concrete (Note - Impacts to Macau are most economical. And opening Macau has the least political resistance.)
That's a very good point. Look to what the government does with Macao/Taiwan/Mainland China arrivals as an indication as an indication as to when they will open up for everyone else.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: