Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Transit through HKIA to re-open on 1 June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2020, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM

As just announced by the HK Government.

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...6-20200526.htm
Old May 26, 2020, 10:23 pm

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Good to know.

I just canceled my June 25th ticket a few days ago from KUL-HKG, then HKG-YVR since the transiting was still in question... Though still no regrets because I believe YVR is still under a 14 day quarantine upon landing anyways.
Old May 26, 2020, 11:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
How ironic that other people can transit through HK, but I still can't really leave the city due to the quarantine restrictions :P. Still, anything that gets us back to closer than normal. Will demonstrate which flights Cathay runs that can really work without the local market (I presume anything that is China -> Europe, China -> USA)
Old May 27, 2020, 4:07 am

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by littlevoices
How ironic that other people can transit through HK, but I still can't really leave the city due to the quarantine restrictions :P. Still, anything that gets us back to closer than normal. Will demonstrate which flights Cathay runs that can really work without the local market (I presume anything that is China -> Europe, China -> USA)
If "five ones" policy of the mainland stays, CX would make good money from transit mainland passengers.
intuition and cx4ever like this.
Old May 27, 2020, 4:29 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life, SQ PPS Club, UA Gold MM
Originally Posted by fairhsa
As just announced by the HK Government.

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...6-20200526.htm
Fantastic news, I was sweating my return to the US on July 1 and whether I'd have to change over to the SQ non-stop at significant cost.

However, there is still no official word on the HKIA website, just the comments by Carrie Lam: https://www.hongkongairport.com/en/m...press-release/
Old May 27, 2020, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I can assure you that many HK expats (at least wife and kids) are planning to reunite with their family in Europe now that the covid situation is improving in Europe and restrictions are progressively lifted.
That's taking a risk that HK home quarantine restrictions will not be lifted by then, but ...

Of course the situation might be a bit different for going to the UK. Boris has been a laggard at every stage of the game and is now imposing a blanket quarantine in June while other EU countries are lifting it.
Old May 27, 2020, 6:06 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
I think US is still banning anyone who has been to mainland China in the past 14 days..
Old May 27, 2020, 8:49 am

The real demand is from overseas Chinese from everywhere to Mainland China. The Chinese government only allows airlines to operate one weekly flight to one country, while additional repatriation flights arranged by the government for overseas students are extremely limited...If my understanding is right, after the news about transit service resumption came out, tickets from US, UK, AU, etc to Hong Kong operated by CX sold out instantly......
littlevoices likes this.
Old May 27, 2020, 10:21 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
When will HK remove the need for 14 day quarantine
Old May 27, 2020, 5:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
Very unlikely. Even Taiwan, which has now 40+ days without a local infection, won't relent on quarantine (they exempt business travelers on business visa to 5 days quarantine, but citizen is still 14-day). Macao, which has gone a few months without a local infection still has 14-day quarantine for its residents. Doubtful HK will be the first maverick to loosen up.
Old May 27, 2020, 6:05 pm

Programs: asia miles
That's fine is the reopen transit, but to transport who from where to where. Most countries, at least in Asia still have bans for foreigners to enter.
Old May 27, 2020, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
Nope.

From https://www.hongkongairport.com/en/i...23424631510-3:

Air transit/transfer services at Hong Kong International Airport will be resumed in phases starting from 1 June 2020. However, the no-entry restriction for non-Hong Kong residents from overseas remains unchanged according to Hong Kong SAR Government. The following measures have been effective from 25 March 2020 until further notice
1. All non-Hong Kong residents coming from overseas countries/regions by plane will be denied entry to Hong Kong.
2. All non-Hong Kong residents coming from Mainland China, Macao and Taiwan will be subject to a 14-day compulsory quarantine after entering Hong Kong, but entry will be denied if any non-Hong Kong resident has been to any overseas countries/regions in the 14 days prior to arrival in Hong Kong.
Old May 27, 2020, 7:06 pm

Programs: CX, BA
I wonder if the HKG - Shekou ferry will begin operating again.....?
China still has its ban / 14 days Q, but for Shekou - HKG outbound it would be ideal for those exiting China.
Old May 28, 2020, 5:21 pm

Cathay's latest update still has the no-transit notice (28 May 2020).
Old May 28, 2020, 6:35 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by EMIC
I wonder if the HKG - Shekou ferry will begin operating again.....?
China still has its ban / 14 days Q, but for Shekou - HKG outbound it would be ideal for those exiting China.
According to https://udn.com/news/story/7333/4595570, there will be a special ferry operating from 27MAY to 30MAY from HKG to ZTI (Humen) for Taiwanese businesspeople who need to return to Dongguan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.