Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Transit through HKIA to re-open on 1 June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit through HKIA to re-open on 1 June

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
I just read that HK is extending the visitor ban until the end of September 2020! Doh!!!
If my understanding is right, the extension you mentioned is about 14-day quarantine for arrivals from overseas countries. The ban on non-HK residents is not time-limited. It could be lifted earlier, or even later.

https://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/inbound-travel.html
Cryofern likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 4:57 am

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by littlevoices
Potential complexities:
1. BKK bans flights (As they do right now, I think?), so denied boarding
2. Your pretend transit makes you go landside in HKG (e.g. to rebook baggage, I presume you're hand baggage only of course) = 14 days quarantine
3. They deny you boarding for HKG-PEK because you didn't do a HK quarantine
4. Are you even a HK citizen? (if not potentially boarding, or I refer to #1 )
My personal view at this point in time is to probably avoid the complexity.... I appreciate you can save some dollars, but... if you really want to get to PEK you likely need to book direct. Of course, I'm risk adverse, what's the worst that could happen (LAX denies you boarding == money/voucher back; LAX lets you board, HKG puts you in 2 weeks of government quarantine == unhappy but safe to then transit to PEK, or HKG returns you to LAX, same as before but with a bit more COVID risk). Or it all goes smoothly, then you saved some dollars from a carrier that is essentially bankrupt, yeh you :P
1) or any other destination that has flights and allows entry
2) If you presume I'm HBO, I would have no baggage to rebook
3) Who? How?
4) is that relevant?
Old Jun 4, 2020, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by intuition
This is an interesting idea. I would think the biggest issue is with boarding the HKG-PEK. Without a exit stamp from HKG and exit stamped BP, pre-boarding check will quickly see you are not exiting HKG and you are not transferring under the rules (a single ticket checked to final). If they will react and act on that, I have no idea. But that would be the riskiest part IMO.
I assume you don't have rights to enter HKG and so you stand the chance of being deported back to point of origin. Or simply denied boarding, in which case you can continue to your original destinations (eg BKK) if you plan so that connection is later than the PEK one.
HK does not give exit stamps.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by moondog
How much cheaper is this than the nonstop just out of curiosity?
LAX-PEK is nearly USD7000-10000 range...
Old Jun 4, 2020, 6:12 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by SKRan
HK does not give exit stamps.
My recolletion was that BP is stamped when exiting HKG. However, you seem to have this and the rest under control and thus it seems to be the perfect plan.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
My recolletion was that BP is stamped when exiting HKG. However, you seem to have this and the rest under control and thus it seems to be the perfect plan.
Yes, he is "Confirmed"

May I suggest an HK locals DO to watch SKRan's tale unfold? Is anyone posting odds on this yet?

Addendum:
SKRan can vlog his experience and post it on u-tube, maybe there will be enough views to generate income for a real ticket?

Last edited by tentseller; Jun 4, 2020 at 1:43 pm Reason: addendum
Old Jun 4, 2020, 11:37 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE)
Originally Posted by SKRan
1) or any other destination that has flights and allows entry
2) If you presume I'm HBO, I would have no baggage to rebook
3) Who? How?
4) is that relevant?
I don't think you will even get the BP for your HKG-PEK flight. You cannot check-in online and you have to collect the BP from the transit desk. They will see that you are not eligible for transit.

Even if you got the BP from online check-in, it will not work, as they will stamp the BP and give you a transit sticker approving you for transit.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 12:26 pm

Why are we talking about stamps? It has been years since HK gives stamps. You get a little slip of paper, that is it.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sbs2716g
there are many logistics to work out.
E.g., where the transit paxes shall go/stay during transit. Are they allow to go into the lounge etc during transit.

And with the limited passenger flights, not many will be able to transit within 2-3 hrs. So they need to see how/where to keep these paxes if they are to stay at airport for 3-24 hrs or even 1-2 days before the next flight.

Or u prefer case of Doha airport where transit pax are free to roam anywhere in the airport. Read that several day ago 13 paxes on QR818 were found with the virus when arrived in HKG. And we won’t know where these paxes are roaming around in Doha airport.
There's an incubation period for the virus. You couldn't catch it in an airport and test positive when your flight arrives.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 1:07 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Why are we talking about stamps? It has been years since HK gives stamps. You get a little slip of paper, that is it.
BP is a common acronym for Boarding Pass, not Passport.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 1:11 pm

BP is a common acronym for Boarding Pass, not Passport.
Oh, that's strange. What if you have an e-boarding pass? They cannot stamp that.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 7:57 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Oh, that's strange. What if you have an e-boarding pass? They cannot stamp that.
In some airports, transits have to exchange paper boarding pass and get transit stamp.

For airports like HKIA, you have to go through transit immigration security. It is very likely that you have to exchange paper boarding pass.

Last edited by freed0m; Jun 5, 2020 at 12:58 am
Old Jun 4, 2020, 8:35 pm

Won’t CX system flag that he have the flights to two different destinations within a few hours ? And if he have check in for BKK, then he won’t be able to check in for PEK?

Unless he no show for BKK, but then will the airport authorities go look for him if he did not show up for the flight to BKK as in such situation . They won’t want any one to be roaming around in the airport.

And if he manage to cancel the check in for BKK after he pass the transit, then how to get the boarding pass to PEK? don’t think they allow online Checkin as they mention they will do check.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 10:38 pm
Moderator, Finnair

In HKG, a boarding pass for the connecting flight can easily be retrieved at the transfer desk, located right before transfer security. So theoretically OP would be able to have both onward boarding passes when entering transfer security. Problem is that the transfer rules might be checked and enforced both at transfer security and at pre-boarding check and his plan involves passing transfer security using BP #1 and clearing pre-boarding check usign BP #2 .
Old Jun 4, 2020, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by freed0m
In some airports, transits have to exchange paper boarding pass and get transit stamp.

For airports like HKIA, you have to go through transit immigration. It is very likely that you have to exchange paper boarding pass.
Am I missing something? Since when did HKIA introduce "transit immigration"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.