Wiki Posts
Search

20k to 2million miles...goodbye CX!

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2020, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: cx dm
Originally Posted by brunos
Everyone is upset by the pandemic and hurt in several different ways in travel restrictions and other aspects. I feel your pain.
To summarize your situation you were 20% (or 240) below the requalification sometimes in January. That's a lot. You were not due a grace period but CX granted it. Points are credited are based on tickets actually flown, not purchased. Relief points for February to April are granted based on current status, so I assume you are granted relief based on Gold status (65 for February and March) but it's unclear whether those relief points during a grace period would even qualify..

All airlines are considering how to deal with their elite status, but probably wait to see how the situation evolves. Unfortunately your status expired before the major impact of the crisis on airlines. But a gentle push might yield some positive result, maybe not today but in the future.Ranting at any airline, whose industry is the most affected by this crisis and survival questionable, seems a childish.

BTW: You state that you are currently in lockdown in SFO and booked in March a MNL-HKG-MAD. That sounds a bit weird.

Shortly after they contacted me to say my flight to MAD was no longer operating, Manila announced a lockdown so we decided to fly to SFO and quarantine ourselves at our home there. Update: CX called me to state there was no way they were going to grant an extension until they operate my MAD flight. I did not want to argue further.

The strange thing I find is that CX, like Hong Kong, usually has a very pragmatic, utilitarian approach to any issue: they will do whatever has the best end business result. This action essentially pushes me to have no reason to stay with them and make CX my primary carrier. There are many alternatives now especially when transiting in HKG is less attractive. I may fly with them when there is no better choice, but I will no longer be partial to them and focus on a carrier that will make it easier to requalify.
Old May 7, 2020, 7:33 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
To summarize your situation you were 20% (or 240) below the requalification sometimes in January. That's a lot. You were not due a grace period but CX granted it. Points are credited are based on tickets actually flown, not purchased. Relief points for February to April are granted based on current status, so I assume you are granted relief based on Gold status (65 for February and March) but it's unclear whether those relief points during a grace period would even qualify..
Agree, and also note some DMs qualify/requalify on significantly more than 1205 Club Points.

OP was 20% short of the DM membership bar in the final month. OP was a marginal case at best - he should have travelled more during 2019 if DM meant so much to him.

He's still a GO to Jan 2021. Whether he wants to pick another airline with a better reward structure is entirely his prerogative. The pandemic is a good opportunity to rethink these things, and CX has no lifetime status to make him stay.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
Agree, and also note some DMs qualify/requalify on significantly more than 1205 Club Points.

OP was 20% short of the DM membership bar in the final month. OP was a marginal case at best - he should have travelled more during 2019 if DM meant so much to him.

He's still a GO to Jan 2021. Whether he wants to pick another airline with a better reward structure is entirely his prerogative. The pandemic is a good opportunity to rethink these things, and CX has no lifetime status to make him stay.
As a side note: I have friends who have achieved LT Platinium status on AFKL. They actually fly less on AFKL now that they don't have to chase requalification. They worked hard to get LT. But now, they don't hesitate to get the best value on other airlines for their expensive trips, while enjoying the lounge/opup benefits for cheapo Y fares on AFKL.
Old May 8, 2020, 12:13 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
As a side note: I have friends who have achieved LT Platinium status on AFKL. They actually fly less on AFKL now that they don't have to chase requalification. They worked hard to get LT. But now, they don't hesitate to get the best value on other airlines for their expensive trips, while enjoying the lounge/opup benefits for cheapo Y fares on AFKL.
Not sure I understand this strategy though. For their expensive trips are they buying J+ tickets in which case status matters less? Otherwise not much point to have earned lifetime status and then fly other airlines.
Old May 8, 2020, 12:39 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by sxc
Not sure I understand this strategy though. For their expensive trips are they buying J+ tickets in which case status matters less? Otherwise not much point to have earned lifetime status and then fly other airlines.
My understanding is once they are LT, they are in a position to shop non-AFKL J premium fares with AFKL economy fares. Both non-AKFL J and AFKL T/Y with status are acceptable substitutes of each other.
Old May 8, 2020, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
There are different aspects and there is no need to detail each situation here. Also different FFPs have different attractive benefits. AF is not so good for opups (they like to tempt infrequent J pax and those from other FFPs by upgrading them).
Some illustrations, using LifeTime (LT) on BA or AF to avoid being CX specific: AF requires ten continuous years at Plat level. That is somewhat easy to get. BA requires a life time total of 35,000 Tier Points (1,500 needed each year to qualify as OWE) and 100,000 TP for LT GGL. You need a lot of travel in J/F to earn that.
Top FFP members tend to travel in J. Why stick with your LT airline (e.g. AF or BA) if you can have more convenient, cheaper, better product on another airline. Lounge benefit and priority boarding is a major attraction, so that induces to direct cheap Y travel to the own airline. But J?
Actually, one of my colleague ,who is still young enough to travel extensively for business, switched some of his travel from AF to *A to also gain lounge access with *A. I used to have top status on both OW and ST, so I understand the benefits, but I now travel much less and only favor OW airlines, hence CX, to retain OWE each year..

As we all know, a loyalty program is not to reward loyalty but to induce to fly the airline in the future. Striving to achieve LT status is a significant motivation. But once you earn it, the airline loses compared to a situation where LT does not exist. The ideal LT flyer is one who goes the extra mile with the airline (up-buying in premium class and flying only with that airline) for years and years, and qualifies LT when he retires . Then he does extensive leisure travel in Y with the same airline to enjoy the LT benefits. I know that there has been debates at AF that it is too easy to become LT at a young age.

It could be that DM benefits are magnificent, that CX is always the best alternative in terms of price and quality. Then introducing a LT program would not make much of a difference.

Last edited by brunos; May 8, 2020 at 1:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.