Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay to close all US cabin crew bases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2020, 10:15 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE

Cathay will close all US cabin crew bases (SFO, LAX, JFK) effective from June onwards.

sad. I’ll miss the SFO base
HKGglobaltrotter and becks1 like this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 10:16 pm

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Apple Daily today just reported that CX has fired all US based cabin crew...
Old Apr 16, 2020, 10:54 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...-cabin-crew-us
Old Apr 16, 2020, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
There will be consequence for CX.

Specifically, CX intentionally shut down the entire U.S. crew bases because they were just recently unionized under AFA.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 12:43 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Is there actually any legal requirement for airlines to operate a US crew base? I would imagine CX only really had a US crew base to begin with to enjoy certain tax benefits or reduction in fees, etc from having one... Otherwise, it made very little sense to operate all these crew bases around the world...
Old Apr 17, 2020, 1:03 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
The US-based CX FAs just ratified their contracts last August.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by tfung
Is there actually any legal requirement for airlines to operate a US crew base?
No.

Originally Posted by tfung
Otherwise, it made very little sense to operate all these crew bases around the world...
It is for operation reasons, such as backup crews.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
It is sad but not unexpected given the current situation.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 2:05 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I believe the main reason for the bases is reduced costs and allowances in housing the crew at Cathay City vs at outports. But given labour laws in other countries and the already low cost of labour in HK, I can’t believe the savings in allowances ever really made the bases worth it.

Will London be next?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 2:25 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by sxc
I believe the main reason for the bases is reduced costs and allowances in housing the crew at Cathay City vs at outports. But given labour laws in other countries and the already low cost of labour in HK, I can’t believe the savings in allowances ever really made the bases worth it.

Will London be next?
Not surprising if they're going to reduce the # of LHR based crew if not laying off entirely. I also see little benefits that CX maintains their SIN based crew. I can't imagine there are much cost savings in having SIN based vs HKG re: operating the regional flights.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 2:31 am

0293 goes into the weekend up 3.88%...
Old Apr 17, 2020, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Cathay will close all US cabin crew bases (SFO, LAX, JFK) effective from June onwards.

sad. I’ll miss the SFO base
When YYZ-based were closed, I was made aware that CX planned to take out the whole NA-based crew in the next few years. Regardless of political and economic complications on CX or the world, it was bound to happen, and CX decided it would much less cost to terminate their employment with severance package instead of negotiating with AFA representing 300 CX crew in the US base. This pandemic just helped expedite the process. Some crew were great, while some crew were not. They had the opportunity to apply to US/CA Airlines after the pandemic settled. Majority of YYZ crew moved to AC after their stations were closed.

Unfortunately, it’s not surprising.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Apr 17, 2020 at 4:31 am
Old Apr 17, 2020, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by sxc

Will London be next?
As long as SWIRE has majority of stakes on CX, the LHR base stays. What we should be focused on is whether or not air traffic can return to normal within a few months. If not, then either the staff has to take on the second-wave of SLS, or they have to go.

Imho, cases in South America, South Africa, and India are starting to go up. I don’t see the air traffic back to normal for this year.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sxc
Will London be next?
No, as soon as the U.K. adopts law and/or regulations similar to EC261/2004 with similar compensation
Old Apr 17, 2020, 4:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
No, as soon as the U.K. adopts law and/or regulations similar to EC261/2004 with similar compensation
What has EC261/2004 to do with that?
EC261/2004 still fully applies in the UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.