Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX to Cut AMEX [confirmed], SCB Cards; New Replacement Bank TBD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX to Cut AMEX [confirmed], SCB Cards; New Replacement Bank TBD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2020, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Any possibility that it would be HSBC? I always thought that CX and HSBC are very close (and I believe HSBC is or used to be TPECX's preferred bank).
My guess is Dah Sing.

Based on HongKongCard's database, Dah Sing has the most airline co-brand card partners - BA, NH, and UA. When Dah Sing can get that many, there is something that Dah Sing has been doing right to attract many.

The chance with HSBC HK is very slim, given that HSBC HK has not been able to obtain an airline co-brand card partner since UA has left decades ago.

Also, credit card partners are location-specific. So just because HSBC Taiwan may have a better relationship with CX does not mean CX will have to pick HSBC HK. Specifically, in Canada and the U.S., CX co-brand cards are not issued by both AMEX and HSBC, but RBC and Synchrony Bank respectively.
CX HK likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 4:05 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by sxc
When was the Citi CX card introduced? I remember when I first moved to HK, I had a Citi card which provided access to the United Airlines club at HKIA but I can't remember if it was the CX co-brand card, or some other card.
Umm I first heard of this card in early 2000s in Taiwan. I was underage then. Not too sure when it was introduced in Taiwan, although I know in Hong Kong it was in circulation even when Citi was still called 萬國寶通 instead of 花旗銀行 (the current Chinese name), and the name change happened in 2002. ĐÂŔËÍř_Éú»îżŐĽä_ĐÂÎű¨µŔ indicates the card was around already in 1999. Is it possible the card predated Asia Miles and was linked to Passages before?

In fact the Citi-CX co-brand link is not taken down yet in Taiwan apparently: https://www.citibank.com.tw/TWGCB/AP.../cc_cpvisa.htm
Old Apr 14, 2020, 4:15 am

Programs: CX Life Time,TG,
If my memory is correct, way back in the mists of history HSBC owned 30% of CX.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 4:27 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Umm I first heard of this card in early 2000s in Taiwan. I was underage then. Not too sure when it was introduced in Taiwan, although I know in Hong Kong it was in circulation even when Citi was still called 萬國寶通 instead of 花旗銀行 (the current Chinese name), and the name change happened in 2002. ĐÂŔËÍř_Éú»îżŐĽä_ĐÂÎű¨µŔ indicates the card was around already in 1999. Is it possible the card predated Asia Miles and was linked to Passages before?

In fact the Citi-CX co-brand link is not taken down yet in Taiwan apparently: https://www.citibank.com.tw/TWGCB/AP.../cc_cpvisa.htm
I do vaguely remember back then thinking that it was strange to have access to the United Airlines lounge when you had a CX card, so yes maybe the Citi CX card was around even pre 2001.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 4:27 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by sxc
When was the Citi CX card introduced?

SG: May https://www.citibank.com.sg/global_d.../pr/060504.pdf

HK: same or at least no later than Nov https://www.citibank.com.hk/global_docs/pdf/CX_Form.pdf
Old Apr 14, 2020, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
My guess is Dah Sing.

Based on HongKongCard's database, Dah Sing has the most airline co-brand card partners - BA, NH, and UA. When Dah Sing can get that many, there is something that Dah Sing has been doing right to attract many.

The chance with HSBC HK is very slim, given that HSBC HK has not been able to obtain an airline co-brand card partner since UA has left decades ago.

Also, credit card partners are location-specific. So just because HSBC Taiwan may have a better relationship with CX does not mean CX will have to pick HSBC HK. Specifically, in Canada and the U.S., CX co-brand cards are not issued by both AMEX and HSBC, but RBC and Synchrony Bank respectively.
Dah Sing would desperately need this to boost their business. They have been suffering for years now, and with the introduction of virtual banks it looks like their days are numbered. Cornering the market for airline co-branded cards would certainly be a nice niche to have, whether to survive / expand or to sell off to another buyer.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 6:14 am

My guess is Dah Sing.

Originally Posted by CX HK
Dah Sing would desperately need this to boost their business. They have been suffering for years now, and with the introduction of virtual banks it looks like their days are numbered. Cornering the market for airline co-branded cards would certainly be a nice niche to have, whether to survive / expand or to sell off to another buyer.
Be careful what you wish for. We haven’t remembered any points/miles promos for the past three years w Dah Sing and their welcome offers are truly meh.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 6:29 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by TomYoung
If my memory is correct, way back in the mists of history HSBC owned 30% of CX.
HSBC owned 30% of Hutchisons and sold it to Li Ka-Shing around 1980.

BOAC/BA owned I think it was 15% of Cathay Pacific but sold it to Swires in the early 1980s when John King was asked by Maggie to prepare BA for flotation. When CX went public this was essentially the shares they used.

Jardines and BA/BOAC have had a relationship going back to the 1920s, and when Swires took over the old Hong Kong Airways which BOAC had a stake in, they got 15% in CX in return. Also thats how Jardines became a shareholder in HAECO.
percysmith likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by percysmith
Be careful what you wish for. We haven’t remembered any points/miles promos for the past three years w Dah Sing and their welcome offers are truly meh.
Your focus is wrong. It is never about you, but CX.

Beside, if Dah Sing is really bad for airlines, UA will definitely jump ship. Instead, UA and Dah Sing has a product refresh and get the distance closer to Chase UA Explorer. If you tell me that Dah Sing is not good in this, I don’t believe Dah Sing can score 3 major airlines for its Hong Kong market.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 7:13 am
Original Poster

I have no idea about Dah Sing as I've actually never used any of their products or services. But they seem out of place in HK, as one of the last family-owned banks, and has no real positioning or market niche... if they score CX / AM, it would be a massive boost to them.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Like most BAEC members in HK, I use BA Dah Sing cc and quite happy with it. Maybe security is a bit on the lax side.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 8:06 am

Beside, if Dah Sing is really bad for airlines, UA will definitely jump ship. Instead, UA and Dah Sing has a product refresh and get the distance closer to Chase UA Explorer. If you tell me that Dah Sing is not good in this, I don’t believe Dah Sing can score 3 major airlines for its Hong Kong market.
Well if airlines' objective is to run a low cost, low profile co-branding credit card program - and to keep your miles dear - then Dah Sing is your solution.

Instead, UA and Dah Sing has a product refresh and get the distance closer to Chase UA Explorer.
What did they change exactly? The base is still $8/UA mile http://www.dahsing.com/html/tc/credi...plus_card.html

Last edited by percysmith; Apr 14, 2020 at 8:13 am
Old Apr 14, 2020, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by brunos
Like quite a few BAEC members in HK, I use BA Dah Sing cc and quite happy with it. Maybe security is a bit on the lax side.
At least that's $6/Avios, compared to $8/UA MP or $8/ANA MC mile.

I've better ways to redeem Avios (namely, redeem them off HSBC when they have 20-50% bonuses).
But I can't burn that many as the only use for them is to redeem short-haul non-HKG partner segments like MEL-HBA, ZQN-SYD or MAD-LHR (then burn AM for long haul to/from HKG)
Old Apr 14, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: CX Gold, QF Bronze
how about BEA, Hang Seng?
Old Apr 14, 2020, 9:57 am

If this is true, and if it's an existing player, BEA or Hang Seng make sense to me. A CX/Asia Miles product could help create buzz when the new virtual banks are otherwise sucking up the air in retail banking (to the extent that anyone in the real world cares about this). Alternatively, one of the new virtual banks could also be logical.

On the other hand, this could all just be wrong or it could just be a negotiating ploy by CX. I'll keep watching this space

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.