FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Outbound HKG restrictions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/2015404-outbound-hkg-restrictions.html)

QRC3288 Apr 8, 2020 6:22 am

Outbound HKG restrictions

Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus (Post 32275069)
Really? As MPC Gold, I haven't been to the Wing F (or any OW F lounge for that matter) yet. Maybe it's time to book a flight with CX :cool:

unless you're a resident of Hong Kong, I think that's not possible right now!

lixiaojuventus Apr 8, 2020 7:05 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288 (Post 32275120)

I am just kidding, haha:)

londonexpert Apr 8, 2020 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288 (Post 32275120)

when did the hk govt impose restrictions on outbound travel for non residents? If they are already in hkg before this I guess they can leave at their choosing?

tfung Apr 8, 2020 7:53 pm

I saw on the government website, that total outbound departures out of HKG on April 7th was 274 passengers... TOTAL! Can fit them all onto a single CX plane....

https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/stat_20200407.html

tfung Apr 8, 2020 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by londonexpert (Post 32277236)
when did the hk govt impose restrictions on outbound travel for non residents? If they are already in hkg before this I guess they can leave at their choosing?

There's no restriction from leaving HKG...

percysmith Apr 9, 2020 12:01 am

Originally Posted by londonexpert (Post 32277236)

Originally Posted by tfung (Post 32277422)

We're running out of non-residents who still await departure.

Commuting even between multiple countries where we've right of abode is impossible. I'm cancelling my flights on a rolling basis for 1H 2020, all of which are to or involve Australia.

Cambo Apr 9, 2020 12:17 am

Originally Posted by tfung (Post 32277422)

Currently, not.

However, the world is moving into a direction, where part of the world does have herd immunity (Roughly the colder Northern Hemisphere) and the rest of the world is unprotected at the global level.

So, when an HK person goes to the US, there are serious risks to catch the virus and bring it back home.

Once Asian governments do realize this, it could very well be, outbound travel restrictions will be set.

tentseller Apr 9, 2020 4:38 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 32277852)

Commuting even between multiple countries where we've right of abode is impossible. I'm cancelling my flights on a rolling basis for 1H 2020, all of which are to or involve Australia.

Fortunately for me, there isn't a exit restriction for leaving Canada yet.
Unfortunately I am stuck in Canada (Toronto) when I know I am better off in HK. I feel for YVR Uncle.
​​​​
​​​One foot in two boats!
​​​​​​

londonexpert Apr 9, 2020 5:25 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 32277852)

you can technically still travel between hkg and Syd. On arrival in Syd you get a nice 5 star hotel to isolate for 15 days in aust and then you can head back to hkg. Since you have hk Residency so the ban for aust citizen/resident travel is not applicable to you. You then just need to isolate in hkg for 14 days

not sure whether the govt will then start to ID u as a trouble maker?

tentseller Apr 9, 2020 5:44 am

Originally Posted by londonexpert (Post 32278225)
you can technically still travel between hkg and Syd. On arrival in Syd you get a nice 5 star hotel to isolate for 15 days in aust and then you can head back to hkg. Since you have hk Residency so the ban for aust citizen/resident travel is not applicable to you. You then just need to isolate in hkg for 14 days

It is the additional 14 days quarantine at each end of these commutes that is the issue for me. If and when I arrive in HK my possible quarantine facilities would not permit me to carry on my business online unless I shell out for a suite with a separate living/work/office room.

There are Canadian and HK business relief assistance funds but they only apply to wage subsidies to keep people on the payroll, not additional expenditures.

percysmith Apr 9, 2020 6:37 am

Originally Posted by londonexpert (Post 32278225)

Can’t go awol 28 days. hence I said impossible

think on arrival in Sydney, it’s the Macquarie quarantine station now. Swissotel’s full or something.

percysmith Apr 9, 2020 6:39 am

Originally Posted by tentseller (Post 32278255)
It is the additional 14 days quarantine at each end of these commutes that is the issue for me. If and when I arrive in HK my possible quarantine facilities would not permit me to carry on my business online unless I shell out for a suite with a separate living/work/office room.

There are Canadian and HK business relief assistance funds but they only apply to wage subsidies to keep people on the payroll, not additional expenditures.

you can pick the presidential suite equivalent of the four seasons on the Hk end. They’ve housed quarantine already.

still. 28 days confinement - worth? It’s not meant to be.

tentseller Apr 9, 2020 7:44 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 32278364)
you can pick the presidential suite equivalent of the four seasons on the Hk end. They’ve housed quarantine already.

still. 28 days confinement - worth? It’s not meant to be.

Correction:
HOUSE ARREST 軟禁

londonexpert Apr 9, 2020 8:22 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 32278358)
Can’t go awol 28 days. hence I said impossible

think on arrival in Sydney, it’s the Macquarie quarantine station now. Swissotel’s full or something.

I guess you can WfH?

they are using pretty much other hotels now: Hilton intercontinental travel lodge etc..

brunos Apr 9, 2020 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Cambo (Post 32277865)
Currently, not.

However, the world is moving into a direction, where part of the world does have herd immunity (Roughly the colder Northern Hemisphere) and the rest of the world is unprotected at the global level.

So, when an HK person goes to the US, there are serious risks to catch the virus and bring it back home.

Once Asian governments do realize this, it could very well be, outbound travel restrictions will be set.

Which countries already have "herd immunity" ???
We don't even know yet if previously-sick people have developed actual and long-lasting immunity. Research needs quite some time to tell.