Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-related cancellation for Expedia booking of CX ticket

Old Apr 6, 20, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, IHG Spire, AA EXP, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz 5*

As I understand it, CX is offering no-charge cancellations for Covid-affected bookings. I have a booking with expedia.com for an international CX ticket on CX/BA metal. Due to the situation, expedia will not talk to customers unless they are about to fly. In expedia's cancellation page, no calculation of the refund is offered. Instead a request is made for a cancellation without recourse and a refund for whatever due will be credited back. I presume the full refund will be issued. However, does anyone know of a way of knowing for sure before the cancellation is made?
Old Apr 6, 20, 4:35 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.

Old Apr 7, 20, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, IHG Spire, AA EXP, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz 5*
That's exactly the situation. And expedia will not show any refund calculation before one has to commit to ticket cancellation. So a pax is left in expedia's hands with no possibility of discussing the issue with them. Utterly ridiculous.
Old Apr 7, 20, 5:21 am

When is your original departure date anyway?

If before 31 May 2020, say 24 May 2020, nothing stopping you from leaving the ticket alone til 21 May 2020 (72 hours is usually considered "about to fly")
Old Apr 7, 20, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What is the routing?

Your contract with Expedia (terms & conditions) should show any cancellation fees you agreed to pay to Expedia for a cancellation. One can argue with Expedia after the fact about whether those ought to be imposed, but at least you will know.
Old Apr 7, 20, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
When is your original departure date anyway?

If before 31 May 2020, say 24 May 2020, nothing stopping you from leaving the ticket alone til 21 May 2020 (72 hours is usually considered "about to fly")
I think it depends on your cash situation. There is at least one other poster here who actually needs a refund, because financially he needs the money to buy another ticket.
The other consideration is the waitlist for refunds. Even if you got it processed today it may take a while (don't know the details about CX. BR was pretty quick in refunding my money. I guess some other airlines are saying 6 weeks). And whether CX goes under (is the HK government going to back them up? I don't know, others here obviously would know better).
Old Apr 7, 20, 9:32 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Have you have gave CX a call and explain that the travel agent is not picking up their phone?

I had similar issue and AA, IB, and AC were all willing to work with a OTA booking.

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
What is the routing?

Your contract with Expedia (terms & conditions) should show any cancellation fees you agreed to pay to Expedia for a cancellation. One can argue with Expedia after the fact about whether those ought to be imposed, but at least you will know.
My understanding is Expedia donít levy their own cancel/transaction fees. Any fees they charge for themselves for air travel would have been on booking.
Old Apr 7, 20, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Your problem could be compounded if it involves two airlines BA and CX as you seem to indicate.
I assume from your post that the ticket is issued on CX stock. You might try to call them. But if you flights are in May, then wait might be the only option.
Old Apr 7, 20, 10:10 am

As others note, many carriers have dropped the requirement of requesting refunds from third-party vendors such as TA's, take over the ticket without fee and then cancel and refund. CX apparently has not. A pity because by taking over the ticket and refunding, carriers emphasize -- for the future -- the value of booking through the carrier.

If there are multiple operating carriers, you will need to turn to the ticketing carrier in the first instance.

All of this points to the value of a chargeback as the backstop. It leaves the consumer out of the internal workings of the transaction.
Old Apr 7, 20, 10:50 am
Suspended

What is the lesson learned here? Don't ever book with a third party and ALWAYS book direct with the airline.

Never understand why people use travel agents these days.
Old Apr 7, 20, 10:54 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Originally Posted by SgtRyan View Post
What is the lesson learned here? Don't ever book with a third party and ALWAYS book direct with the airline.

Because they offer certain interline bookings that the airlines refuse to do themselves.
wobbly wings likes this.
Old Apr 7, 20, 11:11 am

Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire Amb, Hertz 5*, National Emerald Club

Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
Because they offer certain interline bookings that the airlines refuse to do themselves.
For the most part, airlines will do if you call them. The website may not display certain options, but if you have constructed the itinerary already (via ITA, etc.), most phone agents can get it for you.

In my opinion, error fares aside, the only time a TA is needed is when you need to put 2 tickets in a single PNR (for oneworld baggage check-through purpose).

Last edited by ernestnywang; Apr 7, 20 at 11:17 am
Old Apr 7, 20, 11:25 am

CX releases some seats more cheaply thru TAs than themselves.
It's a bit of a LCC strategy - any IRROPs, and CX can hide behind the TA.
Old Apr 7, 20, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
CX releases some seats more cheaply thru TAs than themselves.
It's a bit of a LCC strategy - any IRROPs, and CX can hide behind the TA.
How much cheaper? Is it really worth the BS that comes when booking with a third party?

I might be alone in thinking that the travel agent (or OTA) was good in the 90's and 2000's, but today? Sorry.
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 20, 1:46 pm

How much cheaper? Is it really worth the BS that comes when booking with a third party?

I might be alone in thinking that the travel agent (or OTA) was good in the 90's and 2000's, but today? Sorry.
The least expensive ticket may not be the cheapest trip.
tentseller likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: