Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Can you change a saver ticket to a flex ticket and then cancel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2020, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

A friend and I were planning to go to the Edinburgh Festival in August, which has been cancelled. We have economy save tickets from MEL-LHR. We want to cancel, but standard cancellation fees are AUD550.

Of course, there's every chance that there will be a flight cancellation and we'll get a full refund. But August is still a ways away, and for Cathay's sake I hope they're up and running again by then.

I was just looking at the options to change the flights through Manage My Booking and it has the option to pay an additional amount to upgrade to an economy flex ticket, which has no cancellation fees. The change fee is less than the cancellation fees would have been. So can you change to a flex ticket, and then cancel that for a full refund? It doesn't seem like it should work, otherwise everyone would do it. Is there a catch here I'm missing? Does the cancellation fee carry over?
Old Apr 3, 2020, 9:20 pm

I can't comment specifically on CX... but I believe it is fairly standard for non refundable fare components to remain non-refundable. Upfaring does not (IME) make it ALL refundable...
Old Apr 3, 2020, 9:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by trooper
I can't comment specifically on CX... but I believe it is fairly standard for non refundable fare components to remain non-refundable. Upfaring does not (IME) make it ALL refundable...
Yup. If the OP's workaround was possible, it would be widely abused.
trooper and seawolf like this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 6:12 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by trooper
You are exactly right. The additional collection for upfare would be refundable, but not the original amount.
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Seriously?

Non-refundable funds will always remain non-refundable.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 8:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
To give you a bit of relevant advice lionelhutz, you may be trying to be a bit too proactive, personally I'd wait until a week before the flight before cancelling:
1. There is a fair chance in the summer there are still disruptions, so you may be able to get your money back fee free (i.e. if Cathay doesn't restart their MEL-HKG flight, if they do it fewer days a week and yours is cancelled)
2. Your travel insurance would presumably cover the disruption (sadly if you don't have any now it won't cover the festival of coruse for any newly purchased one, but may cover any other problems in London at the same time)
3. Cathay may extend their flexible changes for a longer period, i.e. covering the summer, particularly if transits are banned or Australia remains closed (as seems likely for a while)
4. The UK could be a great place to visit in summer if through some miracle the restrictions are fully lifted by then, plenty to see beyond just the festival
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 8:33 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
just wait a little longer.

even if pandemic situation abated by then i would suspect pretty conservative approach to opening up of boarders and perception to travel, meaning very likely for flexibility to be extended.

situations evolving on daily/weekly basis, predicting for Aug is like asking for next weeks Lotto number
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all, I suspected that wouldn't work and am planning to just wait it out. Every chance of a cancellation and even if not, AUD550 is not the end of the world.

BTW, my travel insurer won't cover it because the flights were booked just after their COVID-19 cut off date of 20 January, after which everyone is deemed to have known about the risk of coronavirus disruptions. Seems like a shocking rort to me, on 20 January the virus was just in Wuhan, a long way from disrupting travel to the UK. I would love to see someone challenge it.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 12:25 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by lionelhutz
BTW, my travel insurer won't cover it because the flights were booked just after their COVID-19 cut off date of 20 January, after which everyone is deemed to have known about the risk of coronavirus disruptions. Seems like a shocking rort to me, on 20 January the virus was just in Wuhan, a long way from disrupting travel to the UK. I would love to see someone challenge it.
Is there a financial services regulator who is responsible for insurance that you can contact about the way this policy restriction was imposed?
Old Apr 6, 2020, 1:21 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Thanks all, I suspected that wouldn't work and am planning to just wait it out. Every chance of a cancellation and even if not, AUD550 is not the end of the world.

20 Jan seems very aggressive

AIG HK and AIG SG are using 29 Jan https://www.aig.com.hk/campaign-page...utbreak-notice and 30 Jan https://www.aig.sg/personal/travel-guard/producers respectively.

Originally Posted by plunet
Is there a financial services regulator who is responsible for insurance that you can contact about the way this policy restriction was imposed?
AFCA?
Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:07 am

Programs: CX DM/OWE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by littlevoices
To give you a bit of relevant advice lionelhutz, you may be trying to be a bit too proactive, personally I'd wait until a week before the flight before cancelling:
1. There is a fair chance in the summer there are still disruptions, so you may be able to get your money back fee free (i.e. if Cathay doesn't restart their MEL-HKG flight, if they do it fewer days a week and yours is cancelled)
2. Your travel insurance would presumably cover the disruption (sadly if you don't have any now it won't cover the festival of coruse for any newly purchased one, but may cover any other problems in London at the same time)
3. Cathay may extend their flexible changes for a longer period, i.e. covering the summer, particularly if transits are banned or Australia remains closed (as seems likely for a while)
4. The UK could be a great place to visit in summer if through some miracle the restrictions are fully lifted by then, plenty to see beyond just the festival
I would second this, just wait a bit... I had a booking to China during CNY. Seeing the virus spread during Jan, I already made sure to book everything else (e.g. hotels) on a refundable rate. In the end I had to wait till 2 days before I was due to fly, and they finally announced free cancellations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.