Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Asia Miles expiration in time of Coronavirus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asia Miles expiration in time of Coronavirus

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2020, 8:27 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Or you can book a flight that you believe will be eventually cancelled, and then you have a chance of not even needing to pay the 120USD fee.
Originally Posted by percysmith
You can cross an anniversary (i.e. extend miles by one more year, if your anniversary date is 30 April) presently at most.

(31 May if cancellation policy is extended).
Originally Posted by nomorecoach
I asked Asia Miles about extending my expiration date. The rep said that she couldn't extend the miles until they actually expire. When they do, I would have to call back and ask for an extension, at which Asia Miles will offer a "challenge" to extend the miles. The requirements are as follows: earn 3000 miles via TWO partners within 89 days. The examples she provided were to transfer X miles from AmEx and Y miles from a hotel rewards program.

Has anyone else heard of or tried this challenge?

The other alternative is to book an award before they expire and then cancel the award to have the miles redeposited with a new expiration date, which would be an additional year from the original expiration date of the miles.
I rather do the alternative. Not difficult at all.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 1:39 am

I asked Asia Miles about extending my expiration date. The rep said that she couldn't extend the miles until they actually expire. When they do, I would have to call back and ask for an extension, at which Asia Miles will offer a "challenge" to extend the miles. The requirements are as follows: earn 3000 miles via TWO partners within 89 days. The examples she provided were to transfer X miles from AmEx and Y miles from a hotel rewards program.

Has anyone else heard of or tried this challenge?

The other alternative is to book an award before they expire and then cancel the award to have the miles redeposited with a new expiration date, which would be an additional year from the original expiration date of the miles.

Yes, I did this challenge and had the points successfully reinstated. I transferred from Amex and IHG.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 1:40 am

Yes, only after. Apparently, they can't do anything until the miles have already expired. It sounds really fishy. I'm hoping someone else can chime in with a data point on this challenge.
yes, I had to wait till they expired before emailing them to commence the challenge.
Strange yes, but at least I had it all in writing just in case anything went sour.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by cyberon
Yes, I did this challenge and had the points successfully reinstated. I transferred from Amex and IHG.
when did you complete the challenge? in the past 2 weeks?

and what is the validity of your reinstated miles? will it expire in exactly 1 yr from reinstatement or will it follow the new expiration policy of asia miles (which can be reset easily by user)

thank you for sharing your concrete DP

Last edited by gnomey; Dec 28, 2020 at 1:52 am
Old Dec 28, 2020, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by gnomey
when did you complete the challenge? in the past 2 weeks?

and what is the validity of your reinstated miles? will it expire in exactly 1 yr from reinstatement or will it follow the new expiration policy of asia miles (which can be reset easily by user)

thank you for sharing your concrete DP
My challenge started from 2nd November and I had till the 30th Jan 2021 to credit 3000 points from 2 different partners.
My old points expired 31st Oct 2020.

Looks like the new credited points follow the new rule, as they show them earned from 1st Jan 2020, and "your miles will remain active as long as you earn or use Miles at least once every 18 months"

My Amex points transferred pretty much within a day or two, and although I was warned by IHG that the points would take around 60 days to Credit (their phone line for redemptions is horrible), the crediting date also showed the 5th of November.

The Asia miles points were reinstated automatically in early Dec 2020.

The annoying thing is that I emailed to extend my miles before and was told "No" about 3 to 4 times. I reached out via twitter and got a different response.

Last edited by cyberon; Dec 28, 2020 at 2:05 am
Old Dec 28, 2020, 10:47 am

The annoying thing is that I emailed to extend my miles before and was told "No" about 3 to 4 times. I reached out via twitter and got a different response.
Thank you for the data point. They told you about the challenge via Twitter? If so, what is their specific handle: @CathayPacific or @CathayPacificUS. I would also like to have this in writing...just in case.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 1:37 pm

So somebody mentioned:

"...The other alternative is to book an award before they expire and then cancel the award to have the miles redeposited with a new expiration date, which would be an additional year from the original expiration date of the miles..."

Is this correct ? I thought the redeposited miles would still only have the original expiry date ?

I currently have 30K AsiaMiles expiring in Feb 2021 & have been given the same runaround by the folks at AsiaMiles...
Old Dec 28, 2020, 1:51 pm

My challenge started from 2nd November and I had till the 30th Jan 2021 to credit 3000 points from 2 different partners.
My old points expired 31st Oct 2020.

Looks like the new credited points follow the new rule, as they show them earned from 1st Jan 2020, and "your miles will remain active as long as you earn or use Miles at least once every 18 months"

My Amex points transferred pretty much within a day or two, and although I was warned by IHG that the points would take around 60 days to Credit (their phone line for redemptions is horrible), the crediting date also showed the 5th of November.

The Asia miles points were reinstated automatically in early Dec 2020.

Thank you so much for sharing.

If transfering from 2 partners are the only rules to fulfill the challenge, and that the auto-reinstated miles will be subject to the new expiration policy, it sounds to be to be a better deal than the book/cancel method.

I definitely would like to get this by writing. Seems like you got your info from twitter, whereareas others here got it from AM online chat rep
Old Dec 28, 2020, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by mymontreal
So somebody mentioned:

"...The other alternative is to book an award before they expire and then cancel the award to have the miles redeposited with a new expiration date, which would be an additional year from the original expiration date of the miles..."

Is this correct ? I thought the redeposited miles would still only have the original expiry date ?

I currently have 30K AsiaMiles expiring in Feb 2021 & have been given the same runaround by the folks at AsiaMiles...
Someone here can correct me if i am wrong
But I believe you have to cancel the award AFTER the miles have expired. then you have the extra year.
If you cancel the award BEFORE the miles have expired, then you get it back with the original expiration date.

I think the new challenge is a better way to go imo. If you dont have any concrete plans to fly CX or partners within the next 12 months (who knows what will happen with this pandemic..)
percysmith likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 5:32 pm

Thank you for the data point. They told you about the challenge via Twitter? If so, what is their specific handle: @CathayPacific or @CathayPacificUS. I would also like to have this in writing...just in case.
@AsiaMiles

Originally Posted by gnomey
Thank you so much for sharing.

If transfering from 2 partners are the only rules to fulfill the challenge, and that the auto-reinstated miles will be subject to the new expiration policy, it sounds to be to be a better deal than the book/cancel method.

I definitely would like to get this by writing. Seems like you got your info from twitter, whereareas others here got it from AM online chat rep
Interestingly, once I got the response from Twitter, a subsequent email response also included the 'offer'.

when your miles are reinstated, the transaction is called 'Exceptional miles renewal'
Old Dec 29, 2020, 10:28 am

@AsiaMiles
Interestingly, once I got the response from Twitter, a subsequent email response also included the 'offer'.
when your miles are reinstated, the transaction is called 'Exceptional miles renewal'
Thanks again. I emailed them, and the below was their response when I asked them to confirm that I can qualify for the challenge of 3000 miles from two partners within 89 days. But they didn't directly confirm or mention the 3000 miles or the two partners in their email:

Thank you for contacting the Asia Miles Service Centre.

For our exception arrangement to renew your expiring miles, we will count your earning activities after your miles expired. As your miles will expire on 31 January 2021, we could only count earning miles activities from the earliest 1 February 2021.

The miles will be valid for 18 months once renewed, and will be auto-renewed if there is any new transactions (earn or redeem) in account.

Asia Miles can be earned not only by flying but also by doing what you normally do every day - dining, shopping, spending on your credit cards, or even staying at hotels. We may wish to view more details for partners that you can earn miles with. Please visit www.asiamiles.com and select "Earn miles" for more details.

If you would like to proceed with the exception arrangement to renew your miles, please confirm us by return email between 1 February and 7 February 2021. We will only process the exception arrangement when we receive confirmation from you. Otherwise, we will assume you do not wish to take up this arrangement.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 5:55 pm

Thanks again. I emailed them, and the below was their response when I asked them to confirm that I can qualify for the challenge of 3000 miles from two partners within 89 days. But they didn't directly confirm or mention the 3000 miles or the two partners in their email:

Thank you for contacting the Asia Miles Service Centre.

For our exception arrangement to renew your expiring miles, we will count your earning activities after your miles expired. As your miles will expire on 31 January 2021, we could only count earning miles activities from the earliest 1 February 2021.

The miles will be valid for 18 months once renewed, and will be auto-renewed if there is any new transactions (earn or redeem) in account.

Asia Miles can be earned not only by flying but also by doing what you normally do every day - dining, shopping, spending on your credit cards, or even staying at hotels. We may wish to view more details for partners that you can earn miles with. Please visit www.asiamiles.com and select "Earn miles" for more details.

If you would like to proceed with the exception arrangement to renew your miles, please confirm us by return email between 1 February and 7 February 2021. We will only process the exception arrangement when we receive confirmation from you. Otherwise, we will assume you do not wish to take up this arrangement.
Excellent! Much better than all the points going down the gurgler!
Old Jan 5, 2021, 11:54 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I have 90k miles expiring 1/30/21. I have read the discussion on the "2 partner challenge" to revive expired miles - seems like a good option. However I have one question about the other option of booking something. Ordinarily, I believe date change on the same route costs $20 USD. If, on Jan 30 I book a flight for Dec 2020 that I hope to take (but obv subject to border policy), what's the latest date I can change it to?

Also, is there a minimum # of pts for IHG transfer?

Thanks.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign
I have 90k miles expiring 1/30/21. I have read the discussion on the "2 partner challenge" to revive expired miles - seems like a good option. However I have one question about the other option of booking something. Ordinarily, I believe date change on the same route costs $20 USD. If, on Jan 30 I book a flight for Dec 2020 that I hope to take (but obv subject to border policy), what's the latest date I can change it to?

Thanks.
one year from ticket issuance so Jan 2022
Old Jan 5, 2021, 6:20 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by italdesign
10000 IHG points for 2000 AM I believe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.