Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

DEVALUATION! - No more stopover for one way tickets effective 1 April 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DEVALUATION! - No more stopover for one way tickets effective 1 April 2020

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:07 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Donkitravel
Currently we save miles by booking a multi-sector itinerary with mixed cabins. For example, LHR-HKG in First then HKD-IAD in Economy (to be cancelled after the first flight and get a tax refund without charge). Your flight you really want to fly costs 81,800 miles instead of 100,000 miles.

However, the agent told me that from 1 April 2020, only transfer is allowed. You can still book a two-sector itinerary but if you finally do not take the second sector, you may have baggage issue. In most of the cases, we have to sacrifice the second sector and cannot enjoy two trips in a one-way ticket.

Also, it is a kind of devaluation when stopover is not allowed.
Actually the game that cannot be played carrying forward is fake one-way (YVR-HKG-SEA, see below)

Your mixed cabin (LHR-(F)HKG-(Y)IAD) can still be played - see how to generate a short-check on revenue tickets.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
What will the net result be? Obviously the OP's itinerary (which I had never even thought of before), is both clever but clearly a loophole. I'm sure you guys who are pros at this know about this. But how many people are using this situation for legit itineraries i.e. not just mostly exploiting a loophole?
OP's main motivation in doing LHR-HKG in F and HKG-IAD in Y is to save miles using mixed cabin. Not fake one-ways, married segments, or nesting one-ways.

If it's mostly against people playing the arbitrage game, then I'm all for it and the thread title is a bit self-serving - that's a valuation increase for people like me, who accumulate a bunch of miles and indeed like to use them, but don't go to the gaming lengths others do. Inevitably people / companies who drive the dump trucks through the loopholes make the program less valuable for the rest of us. It's quite zero sum.
Same here. I just redeem one-ways on peak days overwhelmingly. I only managed two attempts at getting free one ways since these became possible 22/6/18 (e.g. I have a BKK-HKG or AKL-HKG and I tack a HKG-KIX or HKG-HND at the end of it) <-- I call them attempts cos I wasn't able to fly either (former: timing, latter: quarantine).

But I was under the impression this is a new way to game CX award availability? For example, CX doesn't release one-way F Class HKG-LHR, but will release one-way LHR-HKG-XXX (IAD in the OP's case) or wherever. Am I mistaken? I've never done this but I've seen on here and elsewhere this is the new way to game the CX system.
For example, look at the OP's itinerary...it is LHR-HKG-IAD. This is obviously a ridiculous itinerary whereby the HKG-IAD segment is obviously setup just to get the award availability in F on LHR-HKG, which CX is otherwise not releasing.
No, this is a mixed-cabin play not married segments. OP has no better inventory than LHR-HKG stand-alone but is trying to save on AM. Can't blame him while it worked...

I should add, CX setup this system to try and screw over us captive HK-based people. I'm definitely not out to blame the people taking advantage, the ultimate blame lies with CX and their idiotic mindset/system where they tried to screw us HK-based pax over again by introducing superior award inventory for connecting flights. And then, the bloggers megaphoned it and now we have everyone setting up itineraries like LHR-HKG-IAD, or as the poster above me amusingly mentions, YVR-HKG-SEA.
Local captive and overseas connect can both play mixed cabin (LHF-(F)HKG-(Y)IAD)

The locals here can play fake one-way too. Tho HKG does not lend itself to as many combinations HKG-KIX-TPE also. North Americans (YVR-HKG-SEA) and Europeans (LHR-HKG-CDG) had the best run of these opportunities while it lasted.

If we are talking about the OP's title "devaluing", that word specifically, for me as someone who is mostly captive to HK and wouldn't book such a weird itinerary anyway, cutting off the demand for the folks gaming the system is a "win" and definitely not a devaluation at all, if they're stopping excess demand that I'm competing with for F seats.
It won't really affect the redemptions of you or I. We are redeeming primarily for availability, using aggressive use of one-ways, married segment routing or Choice/Tailored redemptions to maximise availability. We are in a different member segment to members like OP who are trying to skimp on miles or maximise distance flown/value out of same miles.

Of course, the best win would just be if CX would treat to ex-HKG or to HKG one-way award inventory the same as connecting tix. Then those of us in Hong Kong could benefit and the other passengers wouldn't have to setup absurd itineraries, and they could still possibly get seats.
A bit like BAEC? We might end up paying a slightly more for our married segments. But not a big downside for us and stops creative routing from connecting pax.
QRC3288 likes this.

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 19, 2020 at 9:35 pm
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:23 am

Programs: Alaska
For mix-cabin, can always try to find a destination with more flights, such as JFK.

I thought mix-cabin can only be booked through call centers. How could the agents just let it through, I wonder.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith
I've heard rumours from three independent sources that this will happen. This aligns with what I've been told.

I wonder will there be official announcement, or is this one more internal memorule again.

This is from the mouth of MPO hotline agent. Told me unintentionally.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:53 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by percysmith
I've heard rumours from three independent sources that this will happen. This aligns with what I've been told.

I wonder will there be official announcement, or is this one more internal memorule again.
I don't think AM can just implement without an official change of the T&C. https://www.asiamiles.com/en/terms-a...onditions.html reads,
For the one-way Flight Award (except the oneworld Multi-carrier Awards and HK Express), a maximum of 2 sectors are allowed, with only 1 stopover or 1 transfer. If the first sector origin airport and the last sector destination airport are located in different cities, but all sectors fall within the same country/region, this itinerary is still treated as a one-way Flight Award. On the other hand, the first sector origin airport and the last sector destination airport are located in different cities but within the same country/region and also the first sector destination airport is located in different country/region, this itinerary is not treated as one-way Flight Award; *for example JFK-DFW-LAX can be treated as one-way while JFK-LHR-IAD cannot be treated as one-way.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freed0m
if stopover is not allowed, there is no point for LHR-HKG-USA. maybe I will fly it with 60K Asia Miles for J?

something like in *A LAX-LHR through Asia.
Actually my example is talking about mixed cabins booking. If you redeem LHR-HKG in F, it costs 100,000 miles. If you add HKG-IAD in Y as the second sector, the miles required become 81,800 miles. I save 18,200 miles to redeem the F flight I want.

Sometimes, connecting flight HKD-IAD may not be available, so allowing stopover will be helpful.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freed0m
if stopover is not allowed, there is no point for LHR-HKG-USA. maybe I will fly it with 60K Asia Miles for J?

something like in *A LAX-LHR through Asia.
You can fly it under 60K AM for J of LHR-HKG under the current rule by adding a Y sector HKG-BKK for example. A loophole - Yes.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Donkitravel
Actually my example is talking about mixed cabins booking. If you redeem LHR-HKG in F, it costs 100,000 miles. If you add HKG-IAD in Y as the second sector, the miles required become 81,800 miles. I save 18,200 miles to redeem the F flight I want.

Sometimes, connecting flight HKD-IAD may not be available, so allowing stopover will be helpful.
try JFK then. So many more flights through JFK. Distance wise, should not be of much difference.

my question is how the agents let these through.

Last edited by freed0m; Mar 19, 2020 at 5:11 am
Old Mar 19, 2020, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I don't think AM can just implement without an official change of the T&C. https://www.asiamiles.com/en/terms-a...onditions.html reads,
Yes I’ve been told new T&C tomorrow. Watch this space.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 10:27 am

What will the net result be? Obviously the OP's itinerary (which I had never even thought of before), is both clever but clearly a loophole. I'm sure you guys who are pros at this know about this. But how many people are using this situation for legit itineraries i.e. not just mostly exploiting a loophole?

If it's mostly against people playing the arbitrage game, then I'm all for it and the thread title is a bit self-serving - that's a valuation increase for people like me, who accumulate a bunch of miles and indeed like to use them, but don't go to the gaming lengths others do. Inevitably people / companies who drive the dump trucks through the loopholes make the program less valuable for the rest of us. It's quite zero sum.
selfishness is not a good personal trait
Old Mar 19, 2020, 8:18 pm

It is official now. App has been updated with three new rules.

percysmith likes this.

Last edited by ultrawin; Mar 19, 2020 at 8:23 pm Reason: add attachment
Old Mar 19, 2020, 9:10 pm

To be honest, this is the last straw for me. As a Canadian resident, it is extremely hard to accumulate Asia Miles here. The partnership with Petro-Canada ended a few years ago, so there is no local retail partners anymore. Amex MR points converts to AM as 1:0.75, verses 1:1 to BA and Aeroplan. (HSBC conversion rate sucks so I am not gonna mention it). The only thing we got is the RBC co-branded credit card with a jaw-dropping $6,000 CAD MSR to get the bonus (10,000) and without any significant bonus categories (If you count the 1.25x foreign spend as a bonus category WITH foreign transaction fee).

Foe the devaluation that happened in 2018, it affected me the most was the increase of miles for PEY to J upgrade redemption (Increased from 15,000 to 28,000 one way for HKG>YVR). With this new stopover rules, it essentially kills the YVR>HKG>SEA redemption for me.

J redemption:
YVR>HKG>SEA 85,000
YVR>HKG 140,000 (round trip)

#Bonyoyed (Oops, wrong program.)
Old Mar 19, 2020, 9:24 pm

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
So 24hrs just makes it more difficult but not completely kill "save miles using mixed cabin" (shorter period for finding a second flight) but the fake one-ways are very dead.

Also costs more for multi-city trips like HKG-LHR, visiting UK for a few days then continuing on another European country.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by watery
So 24hrs just makes it more difficult but not completely kill "save miles using mixed cabin" (shorter period for finding a second flight) but the fake one-ways are very dead.

Also costs more for multi-city trips like HKG-LHR, visiting UK for a few days then continuing on another European country.
also not exactly dead for fake one-way.

Just now have to use oneworld multi-carrier instead, with more miles, more carriers and more routes allowed, which is much fairer than one-way CX/Partner awards

YVR-HKG-SEA costs more than 100K miles, rather than max 85K miles.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by watery
If you try to put a BA/IB at the end of a CX, it'd already cost you more pre-change?

Short trips/domestic trips not ex-HKG is what Avios is for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.