Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

Refund processing time CX due to Corona travel restrictions

Refund processing time CX due to Corona travel restrictions

Old Mar 26, 20, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Update: My refund processed at 10 days. So it appears CX is making special efforts to adhere to DOT rules for US tickets. This was a refundable fare.
Old Mar 26, 20, 5:23 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Update: My refund processed at 10 days. So it appears CX is making special efforts to adhere to DOT rules for US tickets. This was a refundable fare.
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...lications.html

How long does it take for the refund for booking changes made online?

The refund of the Online Booking Change transaction takes seven working days for tickets involved US sector. Otherwise it will take 20 calendar days.

(But the same FAQ asks you to request refunds for tickets purchased via cathaypacific.com via Manage Booking, which doesn't appear to be true).
Old Mar 29, 20, 7:00 am

Data Point: Refund originally processed by CX on March 6th and hit my AMEX on March 27th.
Old Mar 29, 20, 11:22 am

Hmm. I requested my cancellation/refund on March 20th. I got a generic cancellation email - but it didn't list the amount to be refunded, but stated that refunds take longer than usual - without specifying what this "usual" is. As of today, no refunds yet; 9 days; or 5 full working days. This is a ticket booked in the US via Cathay.com.

Will give it another few days before calling.
Old Mar 29, 20, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by TabeaK View Post
Hmm. I requested my cancellation/refund on March 20th. I got a generic cancellation email - but it didn't list the amount to be refunded, but stated that refunds take longer than usual - without specifying what this "usual" is. As of today, no refunds yet; 9 days; or 5 full working days. This is a ticket booked in the US via Cathay.com.

Will give it another few days before calling.
I cancelled several bookings and got no cancellation emails at all (the bookings disappeared within hours so I knew they had been cancelled). It was just under two calendar weeks before I saw my refunds on Amex. So far CX has been the best airline to deal with for refunds other than Turkish Airlines (who issued a refund in two days). Some other airlines are really playing games to try to shove a voucher on you and have been harder for me to work with.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Mar 29, 20 at 12:30 pm
Old Mar 29, 20, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Datapoint: Flight cancelled on March 13th, refund showed up on CC on March 26th.
Old Mar 29, 20, 10:12 pm

Programs: CX Gold, KE Morning Calm, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by triks View Post
Data Point: Refund originally processed by CX on March 6th and hit my AMEX on March 27th.
Good to hear that,I request the refund on 6 March and based on your experience, hopefully I can get my money back on my AMEX few days later.
Old Mar 30, 20, 8:16 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Another data point. Cancelled ticket March 12, refund hit credit card March 30.
Old Today, 7:06 am

Update: I have today received a refund for 1 out of 2 passengers on my cancelled ticket. Cancellation occurred online for the entire itinerary (2 passengers in same booking) on March 20th. Today (April 2nd) a refund for the full price of 1 ticket hit my credit card account (US based) - I am confused why they would only refund 1 ticket not both tickets from the same booking - but at least I see the refund. I will probably wait a day or two to see if the other refund shows up and if not call Cathay and inquire.

Has anyone else had the same experience? Cathay refunding individual tickets in the same booking separately?
Old Today, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
March 18 and refund April 2

Search this Thread
Search Engine: