Lawsuit for DEFACTO CANCELLATION

Old Mar 11, 20, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Lawsuit for DEFACTO CANCELLATION

Anyone aware of a class action against Cathay? I am looking for an attorney who can file a suit based on Cathay’s unwillingness to provide a proper refund for flights that can only be cancelled.

All other options to change the flight required a large up-charge - flights unavailable beyond a certain date. No option but to cancel. Now given a $90 refund on a $1000 ticket.

Based on principles of good business practice and customer advocacy , I would like to proceed with a CLASS ACTION lawsuit.

anyone know solicitors that would organize an effort to curb Cathay’s poor customer service and policies?
Old Mar 11, 20, 11:36 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Gold, United Gold
Without giving details, no one can help you. What flights are you currently booked on? Why can't you cancel them without penalty under the current (massive) travel waivers?
nancypants and M60_to_LGA like this.
Old Mar 11, 20, 11:44 pm

And in which jurisdiction? You say $ but is that HK, US, Canada, NZ...?
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 12, 20, 4:41 am

For my ticket I got 100% of what I paid back, and for a partially used ticket I got a good portion of the fare back that I didn't even try to ask for more.
$90 / $1000 seems ridiculously low, is it only part of the ticket?
Old Mar 12, 20, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Kilo5117 View Post
anyone know solicitors that would organize an effort to curb Cathay’s poor customer service and policies?
I think they are too busy chasing ambulances.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 12, 20, 5:25 am

Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire Amb, Hertz 5*, National Emerald Club
Anyone aware of a class action against Cathay? I am looking for an attorney who can file a suit based on Cathay’s unwillingness to provide a proper refund for flights that can only be cancelled.
I believe it is CX's general policy that if one of your flights is cancelled, you can ask for a full refund (or prorated partial refund if the ticket is partially used).
Old Mar 12, 20, 8:49 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat

All other options to change the flight required a large up-charge - flights unavailable beyond a certain date. No option but to cancel. Now given a $90 refund on a $1000 ticket.

Based on principles of good business practice and customer advocacy , I would like to proceed with a CLASS ACTION lawsuit.

Dream on, do you really think, courts would grand you money, given the large scale existential issues for airlines ?

CX does have one of the most generous cancel policies, so I really think, your flight can somehow continue, even when you might have some nuisances due to rescheduling. Whenever you might be denied or put in quarantine at your ticket destination, you can cancel with a full refund.
Sozee, thomas164, flubber and 6 others like this.
Old Mar 12, 20, 6:37 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
Also, maybe OP is outside HK, but HK doesn’t have class action suits. You can go to the Small Claims Tribunal, but presumably Cathay’s contracts are airtight, so probably a waste of time...
Old Mar 12, 20, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bermuda $?

What on earth is OP talking about, what route, how did he pay and how is it that when others are obtaining refunds, he isn't?
Old Mar 12, 20, 7:58 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.

Given it's likely kilo5117 is/will be a drive-by ranter who won't come back, but has a relatively unique handle, not that hard to reverse engineer his case:

Country of residence: US https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/members/kilo5117.html . Probably Westport, CT https://sigtalk.com/legion-series/32...ma-issues.html

Nearest CX port will be JFK

US$1,000 ticket - Economy Save to or via HKG?

There is no refund policy made available for mere US-HK flights https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...s/refunds.html . We don't know whether he has an onward destination beyond HKG until (if) he comes back.

US$90 may only represent refund of taxes paid on his ticket.

Why "can only be cancelled"? A nationality requirement?

"I’m a citizen/passport holder flying to a country that has a travel restriction on my nationality. Can I get a refund?
We only offer refunds for flights to above countries. You can change your travel date or destination with no change fees, see Free rebooking for more details on how to change."

I have some reservations about above policy - I believe it is adequate grounds for credit card chargeback even if CX is not willing to provide refunds. If my speculation is correct, kilo5117 might wish to speak to his [US] credit card issuer rather than CX and compel a refund that way.
Cryofern likes this.

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 13, 20 at 12:30 am
Old Mar 12, 20, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Maybe OP will find this helpful:

ChooseHKLawyer

It is the official find a lawyer site of the HK law society.
Old Mar 12, 20, 8:51 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
Maybe OP will find this helpful:

ChooseHKLawyer

It is the official find a lawyer site of the HK law society.
If my speculation is correct he is probably better suing in Connecticut Small Claims Court. But I don't advocate suing - charging back is so much more effective.
Old Mar 12, 20, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Bermuda $?

What on earth is OP talking about, what route, how did he pay and how is it that when others are obtaining refunds, he isn't?
Bermuda $ = USD hehe

But yeah, based on the ranty thread title WITH incoherent CAPS, I assumed this would be a drive-by.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 12, 20, 10:24 pm
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
If the flight itself was cancelled (rather than the pax being unable to travel due to restrictions), doesn't CX's conditions of carriage allow for a full refund?

10.2.2 Except as otherwise provided by the Warsaw Convention or the Montreal Convention or applicable law, if we cancel a flight, fail to operate a flight reasonably according to the schedule, fail to stop at your destination or Stopover destination, or cause you to miss a connecting flight on which you hold a confirmed reservation, we shall, at your option, either:
10.2.2.1 carry you at the earliest opportunity on another of our scheduled services on which space is available without additional charges and; where necessary, extend the validity of your Ticket; or
10.2.2.2 within a reasonable period of time re-route you to the destination shown on your Ticket by our own services or those of another Carrier, or by other mutually agreed means and class of transportation without additional charge. If the fare, and charges for the revised routing are lower than what you have paid, we shall refund the difference;
10.2.2.3 or make a refund in accordance with the provisions of Article 11;
Old Mar 13, 20, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
If my speculation is correct he is probably better suing in Connecticut Small Claims Court. But I don't advocate suing - charging back is so much more effective.
A chargeback is usually very effective. However, some cards have a limit of chargeback must be within 100 days of the charge.
When AC failed to issue a full refund for Mrs TS's cancelled (by AC) ticket, a chargeback was denied as it was over 100 days. Travel insurance (Allianze) on the card paid the difference.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: