Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

Cathay Offers Unlimited Changes without Charge

Old Mar 9, 20, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Just saw this on the CX homepage: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ut-charge.html.

infinitium likes this.
Old Mar 9, 20, 5:09 am

Programs: QF Emerald. CX Nobody
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon View Post
Just saw this on the CX homepage: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ut-charge.html.

they must be suffering big time. Flexibility, in my opinion, is the biggest value-added feature of ticket and they are giving this away for free. Well if all their flights are flying empty, they mind as well sell ticket with 100% flexibility than to fly empty.

We might be onto something. With increasing uncertainty maybe the whole concept of paying premium for flexibility is about to disappear industry wide.
HarbourGent likes this.
Old Mar 9, 20, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Silver / Hilton Diamond / IHG Spire Ambassador / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by fakecd View Post
they must be suffering big time. Flexibility, in my opinion, is the biggest value-added feature of ticket and they are giving this away for free. Well if all their flights are flying empty, they mind as well sell ticket with 100% flexibility than to fly empty.

We might be onto something. With increasing uncertainty maybe the whole concept of paying premium for flexibility is about to disappear industry wide.
Still not enough in my view. If they want me to book then I must have total flexibility to change and cancel within a clearly defined period. There are too many ifs, buts, maybes, and above all fare difference terms and conditions to make this work. I book today at $1000 and need to change only to find the fare is now $2000. No thanks
Old Mar 9, 20, 7:20 am

All the US airlines are doing this. This is a serious revenue hit to them (they make something like $750,000,000 each quarter on this). I would be surprised to see an airline not offering this.
Old Mar 9, 20, 9:28 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
No, I will not take this offer. I predict there will be a huge ticket promotion after the virus thing ends according to the previous experience of SARS. So I will wait for the promotion coming later.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Mar 9, 20, 9:43 am

Programs: MPCGO, AYPt, SQG, HHDiamond
Just wondering how 'huge' the promotion will be? wyskevin
Old Mar 9, 20, 10:13 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Originally Posted by NeoZ View Post
Just wondering how 'huge' the promotion will be? wyskevin
It is just my personal prediction. I canít tell whether the promotion will happen or not. However, I did buy Taiwan- HKG-MEL/SYD, 3 months valid return ticket including tax, business I class , about 1100 USD when SARS just ended. This was approximately 50% off
NeoZ likes this.

Last edited by wyskevin; Mar 9, 20 at 10:24 am
Old Mar 9, 20, 10:51 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club, JGC
Originally Posted by wyskevin View Post
It is just my personal prediction. I canít tell whether the promotion will happen or not. However, I did buy Taiwan- HKG-MEL/SYD, 3 months valid return ticket including tax, business I class , about 1100 USD when SARS just ended. This was approximately 50% off
I am sure they'll do a big sale once this blows over, just to get people to fly again. They just need some revenue now rather than later. I am gonna take them up on the offer as I'll need to fly at end of May to get to a friend's wedding anyway. If situation hasn't got better by then, I can just change it. They let me fly that DAD-JFK flight for cheap on error fare last year, I've gotten plenty of op-ups whenever I fly with them... They've been pretty good to me most of the time, time to return the favour?
Microtat and JordanWalker like this.
Old Mar 9, 20, 10:55 am

Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire, Hertz 5*, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by wyskevin View Post
It is just my personal prediction. I can’t tell whether the promotion will happen or not. However, I did buy Taiwan- HKG-MEL/SYD, 3 months valid return ticket including tax, business I class , about 1100 USD when SARS just ended. This was approximately 50% off
I got I class ticket for TPE-HKG-US west coast round-trip at around the same price in the summer after SARS as well. What I don't know if there will be promo ex-HKG.
Old Mar 9, 20, 11:58 am

Programs: MPCGO, AYPt, SQG, HHDiamond
Thanks kijhkijh and ernestnywang

Anyone know ex-ICN and ex-LHR LH?
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Mar 9, 20, 10:16 pm

Programs: QF WP - AA GLD 1MM - CX Grn
These changes don't do a whole lot for me - 10 Apr PEY ticket DPS-HKG-SFO bought in November 2019.....

Someone please correct me if I am uninformed.

Just wandering
Fred
Old Mar 10, 20, 12:31 am

Programs: QF Emerald. CX Nobody
there will be promotion at end of this, if CX makes it through.
but to best of my memory it's first time global airlines all doing this.
Old Mar 10, 20, 12:35 am

How will it work for tickets with married segments, e.g. TPE-HKG-JFK?
Will i be able to flexibly move TPE-HKG and HKG-JFK to different times without triggering repricing?
That could be huge.
Old Mar 10, 20, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by sparkj View Post
Will i be able to flexibly move TPE-HKG and HKG-JFK to different times without triggering repricing?
That could be huge.
I am thinking about this as well. But as the transit and stopover in HKG (for outbound) will trigger difference price ex-TPE, I think it would trigger repricing if one want to break the married segment.
Old Mar 10, 20, 1:31 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Gold, United Gold
Originally Posted by sparkj View Post
That could be huge.
I thought they only waived change fees but not price differences? I would imagine any changes will trigger a repricing?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: